+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship after Refugee approval

Calgary21

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Calgary
Hi everyone, I have a question that I'm here in Canada for 1 year as a Refugee Claimant,, now my case Approved and I'm going to apply PR once I received my Notice of Decision,, my question is how long we need to wait for applying Citizenship,, I mean the 3 years period applies to us from now or after getting PR ???? Please guide
Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Read the application eligibilty for your situation, who can apply/time in Canada/temp resident or protected person linbk

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html#time

Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person within the last 5 years counts as one half day when you calculate your physical presence. You can use a maximum of 365 days as a temporary resident or protected person toward your time spent in Canada.

A temporary resident is someone who is authorized to enter or stay in Canada as a:

• visitor
  • student
  • worker or
  • temporary resident permit holder
A protected person is someone who:

• was found to be in need of protection or a convention refugee by the Immigration and Refugee Board or
  • received a positive decision on a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
If you made a refugee claim, or were included on a family member’s refugee claim, you won’t be credited time in Canada from the date of the refugee claim until you receive a positive decision confirming you are a protected person.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can start counting time after your claim was approved. Each day before you receive you PR status will count for 1/2 day up to 365 days total. Absolute best case, you can start your citizenship application after you have held PR status (from the day you “landed”) 2 years after that date.

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
You can start counting time after your claim was approved. Each day before you receive you PR status will count for 1/2 day up to 365 days total. Absolute best case, you can start your citizenship application after you have held PR status (from the day you “landed”) 2 years after that date.
Hey there, does the 365 mean we get half day for it as in maximum 6 months as physical presence, or does it mean that the maximum you can remove from wait period is one year? Their wording is confusing me