+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizen returning after 14 years

sfk2k

Jun 26, 2018
Hello everyone,

I immigrated to Canada in 1998 and left in 2004, after completing my studies. Had become a citizen in 2003. My dad had files my taxes back then with ZERO income, since i didn't have any (Was just studying). Now after 14 years, I am planning to come back and start job hunting/home searching/kids schooling etc.

My question is, will I need to file tax return for the past 14 years I was not there. I was working in home country and paying/filing taxes over there. My home country also has tax treaty with Canada. I have never owned any assets in Canada. Only a bank account that went dormant probably an year or two after after i left since there was no activity or balance. Had a few credit cards which I cancelled before leaving. I have a Canadian passport though, which I use/renew.

If I need to file the non-resident returns for those years, what is the estimated cost related to that process, and which people do I look for who can do that. I have 3 kids less than 18 (Born Canadian outside Canada). Do I need to file for them too?

Thanks and Regards

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

I immigrated to Canada in 1998 and left in 2004, after completing my studies. Had become a citizen in 2003. My dad had files my taxes back then with ZERO income, since i didn't have any (Was just studying). Now after 14 years, I am planning to come back and start job hunting/home searching/kids schooling etc.

My question is, will I need to file tax return for the past 14 years I was not there. I was working in home country and paying/filing taxes over there. My home country also has tax treaty with Canada. I have never owned any assets in Canada. Only a bank account that went dormant probably an year or two after after i left since there was no activity or balance. Had a few credit cards which I cancelled before leaving. I have a Canadian passport though, which I use/renew.

If I need to file the non-resident returns for those years, what is the estimated cost related to that process, and which people do I look for who can do that. I have 3 kids less than 18 (Born Canadian outside Canada). Do I need to file for them too?

Thanks and Regards
You are not under any obligation to file returns for the period you were away. If you choose to file a non-resident zero return, the cost would be minimal.

Reactions: scylla and sfk2k