+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizen marrying international student

aberdeen

Oct 16, 2016
Hi there,

I am a Canadian citizen, planning to marry my girlfriend, who is currently residing in Canada on a student visa until 2018. Currently we do not live together, but we are engaged and are planning to get married and purchase a house together in mid-2017. She is originally from Hong Kong, but has been residing in Canada for 5 years. We are both in our early to mid 30s, and have been together for over a year. I am a working professional.

I have done some research on the process of getting a Permanent Residency for my to-be wife, and everything is pointing to inland/outland sponsorship. The following thread has been useful:

http[:]//www[.]canadavisa[.]com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

However, it's from 2010, and I wanted to check - has anything changed since then? Are there any other options we can consider for getting a PR? For example, getting married in Canada vs. in Hong Kong.

Any helps would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Aberdeen

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. applying for outland would be faster (you can compare processing time on CIC.)

2.She can apply for open work permit with her inland applications, but she would be qualified to apply for PGWP( post graduate work permit ) when she finished her study.
so she can stay and work in Canada legally while waiting for PR.

2. As long as you submit enough evidence of your relationship (marriage certificate, pictures etc), it would not matter whether getting married in Canada or Hong Kong

hope it helps and other members would give you more info.

Good luck.

zacklib

Star Member
Jan 29, 2016
aberdeen said:
Hi there,

I am a Canadian citizen, planning to marry my girlfriend, who is currently residing in Canada on a student visa until 2018. Currently we do not live together, but we are engaged and are planning to get married and purchase a house together in mid-2017. She is originally from Hong Kong, but has been residing in Canada for 5 years. We are both in our early to mid 30s, and have been together for over a year. I am a working professional.

I have done some research on the process of getting a Permanent Residency for my to-be wife, and everything is pointing to inland/outland sponsorship. The following thread has been useful:

http[:]//www[.]canadavisa[.]com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

However, it's from 2010, and I wanted to check - has anything changed since then? Are there any other options we can consider for getting a PR? For example, getting married in Canada vs. in Hong Kong.

Any helps would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Aberdeen
I agree with above. well explained