+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizen for newborn born outside canada

Sereenfayad

Feb 7, 2020
Hi , my name is Sereen and i am a canadian citizen which was given to me by my Canadian born parents. I was born in lebanon. Now i am married living in Lebanon and pregnant with my first child. I will have my child in Lebanon, can i give my child once its born a Canadian citizen??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi , my name is Sereen and i am a canadian citizen which was given to me by my Canadian born parents. I was born in lebanon. Now i am married living in Lebanon and pregnant with my first child. I will have my child in Lebanon, can i give my child once its born a Canadian citizen??
No. Citizenship is restricted to the first generation born abroad, which is you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How can i give my child a canadian citizen. I cant go to Canada to give birth, do you know any other way?
You would have to sponsor your child for PR. In order for the PR app to be approved, you would have to prove you are moving to Canada. If the child becomes a PR, you could then apply for their citizenship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just want to stress that would mean living in Canada for years not just a quick thing. If you considered giving birth in Canada in many provinces you would not qualify for healthcare for up to 3 months and would have to pay 7-15k plus doctors visits before delivery. If you did qualify for healthcare you would need to remain in Canada for over 6 months or you could be asked to pay back any healthcare you used.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Do i have to be in canada to apply PR for my newborn child or can i do it from the country i am in?
Refer answer #4 above. You would need to demonstrate your intention to move to Canada in order to sponsor your child for PR from outside of Canada

Sereenfayad

Feb 7, 2020
I would like to make one thing clear, i was living in alberta but moved back to lebanon and i do have a alberta health card. Does it still work if i go back to give birth in Ontario.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I would like to make one thing clear, i was living in alberta but moved back to lebanon and i do have a alberta health card. Does it still work if i go back to give birth in Ontario.
1. If you have been outside Alberta/Canada for more than 6 months, it is no longer valid.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario has a three month waiting period to enrol in OHIP, the government-sponsored health plan. The provinces that don't have a waiting period (after registration in their health plan is accepted) are Manitoba, Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador, and Prince Edward Island.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ontario has a three month waiting period to enrol in OHIP, the government-sponsored health plan. The provinces that don't have a waiting period (after registration in their health plan is accepted) are Manitoba, Alberta, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador, and Prince Edward Island.
1. Should note that the "no waiting period" only applies to the initial card, if you leave Canada for between 6 & 7 months depending on the province, once you return, there is a 3 months waiting period before you would be covered by the provincial plan.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

1. Should note that the "no waiting period" only applies to the initial card, if you leave Canada for between 6 & 7 months depending on the province, once you return, there is a 3 months waiting period before you would be covered by the provincial plan.
I don't think that that is necessarily true. As stated on the Alberta provincial website (https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx), for example: "If you are moving, immigrating, or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage from the date [you] establish residency in Alberta."

There is more discussion on this subject here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/urgent-help-required-pregnant.472614/

Of course, a Canadian citizen planning to return to Canada should check with the provincial health office to verify anything stated in this forum.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I don't think that that is necessarily true. As stated on the Alberta provincial website (https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx), for example: "If you are moving, immigrating, or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage from the date [you] establish residency in Alberta."

There is more discussion on this subject here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/urgent-help-required-pregnant.472614/

Of course, a Canadian citizen planning to return to Canada should check with the provincial health office to verify anything stated in this forum.
How about you highlight "might"? The condition probably is they go back to RESIDE. Not return, give birth, gain citizenship, leave

Last edited:

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

1. If you have been outside Alberta/Canada for more than 6 months, it is no longer valid.
I've always been curious as to how this is enforced? Given how Canada doesn't record departures...