+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT0002 What to fill in the work history address section when working from home

kaycic1988

Feb 24, 2019
During my 5 year eligibility period I used to work for company that did not have any physical location or address. I used to work remotely i.e. work from home. I am not sure what to put in the address section for that company during that period of time.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
During my 5 year eligibility period I used to work for company that did not have any physical location or address. I used to work remotely i.e. work from home. I am not sure what to put in the address section for that company during that period of time.
List your home address, attach a short (!) explanation on a separate page (like two sentences) explaining exactly what you explained here and include the name and address of the company you worked for (they must have some address, after all they are a company, so they are registered somewhere).

kaycic1988

Feb 24, 2019
List your home address, attach a short (!) explanation on a separate page (like two sentences) explaining exactly what you explained here and include the name and address of the company you worked for (they must have some address, after all they are a company, so they are registered somewhere).
Its my cousins incorporation and I was just working under him. But there is no specific address (Building/apartment/house) for the company. That is why I am not sure what to put in there.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Its my cousins incorporation and I was just working under him. But there is no specific address (Building/apartment/house) for the company. That is why I am not sure what to put in there.
Did you read spyfy's answer??

LIST YOUR HOME ADDRESS..and your cousin must live somewhere, too

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Every incorporation must be listed at some address. There MUST be some address that this company is officially registered at. Otherwise agencies like the CRA couldn't contact that incorporation. It has some official address and I am sure your cousin knows it (otherwise he has a problem :) ) As mentioned, that's the address to list in the attached explanation.

The address on the form itself should be the physical location where you actually worked. Which is your house

Reactions: nilyam

kaycic1988

Feb 24, 2019
Every incorporation must be listed at some address. There MUST be some address that this company is officially registered at. Otherwise agencies like the CRA couldn't contact that incorporation. It has some official address and I am sure your cousin knows it (otherwise he has a problem :) ) As mentioned, that's the address to list in the attached explanation.

The address on the form itself should be the physical location where you actually worked. Which is your house
Shouldn't the cousins address be the one on the form then? Because the form says "Address of the place of employment" ?

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Shouldn't the cousins address be the one on the form then? Because the form says "Address of the place of employment" ?
There was an earlier discussion in the forum about this and the consensus was that the physical place of work is relevant. That does not mean of course it's the absolute truth, it was just the conclusion we arrived at.

The argument was this: Assume that someone
- Lives in Mississauga
- Works in a Toronto office
- But for a company who is registered in Calgary

In that case, common sense (that's all we used, so we might be wrong) told us that IRCC would expect the Toronto address in the form because that is where the person actually worked.

In the OPs situation it could be something like
- Lives in Mississauga
- Works at their home in Mississauga
- But the company is registered at the cousin's house

I don't see why the cousin's house address would be relevant. Since that was not their "place of employment". That would be their "employer".

Or in other words: Does everyone who works in an Apple store anywhere in the world list "Cupertino, California" as their place of employment? I think not.

I think there is a reason why it says "address of the place of employment" and NOT "address of the employer".

kaycic1988

Feb 24, 2019
Makes sense. I shall put my home address and add "Work from home" in the brackets. Lets see if they have any objection.

cindyestteacher

Nov 16, 2017
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-08-2018
Doc's Request.
15-11-2018
AOR Received.
13-09-2018
Med's Request
15-11-2018
Med's Done....
28-11-2018
This is of interest to me as I am in the same situation. I was told by my accountant to list my home address as place of employment since I am self-employed and work from home. (I work from home for several companies. IRCC will see where I paid taxes on self-employement with the CRA.) I am interested as to how the applicant who posted here ended up here.

muz 1995

Mar 25, 2024
We got an ITA and have the following questions:

1. Back in my home country my office was located in a different city(city A) and I was working from home(city b)
What city do i write in my work history and personal history?
Also for some period i was working from office so do I make 2 entries?

2. In Canada now I am still working from home. My office is in Etobicoke but i was first working from barrie for a month and then from Toronto since past 9 months.
Again, how do i write this in my work and personal history.

3. I did a one year post graduate certificate from Canada. The college was located in Barrie. This was post covid so in person Attendance wasn’t mandatory. I also attended the first two weeks from my home Country.
Again do i add slots in the personal history section? I.e first two weeks from Pakistan, next 4 months from barrie and the last 4 from Toronto

4. Last question! I was working full time on my study permit( it was the time where students could work full time) while adding it in express entry, they ask if you had a valid work permit during this time? Do i select yes or no.
i had a valid study permit and was allowed to work full time.

Thank you to anyone or everyone who took the time to reply!