+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT0001E - Document Checklist Questions

hortonal

Jan 5, 2016
Hi,

My Mother is Canadian by birth, came to England, married my father and stayed here. I was born in England and am thus British (and Canadian by 1st generation descent)

I'm applying for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate under scenario 3:
Scenario 3 – If you were born outside Canada on or after January 1, 1947 to a Canadian parent
I have a couple of quesitons around the documentation/certificates I need to provide:
Firstly:
The first document document requirement is this:
all citizenship/naturalization certificate(s) (if applicable)
. I don't have a certificate of citizenship apart from my British passport. Is this required (I need my passport for regular trips abroad)? Will anything else suffice - birth certificate etc.?

Secondly:
The third requirement states this:
proof that one or both of your natural parents were Canadian citizens when you were born, such as:
your parent(s)' provincial or territorial birth certificate,
Canadian citizenship certificate,
certificate of registration of birth abroad,
retention certificate, or
British naturalization certificate;
- Do I need just one of these or all of them? (I've assuming just 1).
- I have a 'Certificate of Birth' issued from Alberta for my Mother but this is only a certified extract from the registration of birth, Saskatchewan, and not the original birth certificate. Is this ok?
- Seeing as she changed her name when she married in England, do I also need to provide proof of this? I have her UK marriage certificate or a 'British Nationality Acts: Certificate of registration as a citizen of the United Kingom and Colonies' which shows her full married name and her name at birth. Are these ok?

Thank you in advance

hortonal

Jan 5, 2016
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I hope to send off my application in the near future but I need to know which documents to create notarized copies of.
Thanks,
Alex

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
hortonal said:
Hi,

My Mother is Canadian by birth, came to England, married my father and stayed here. I was born in England and am thus British (and Canadian by 1st generation descent)

I'm applying for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate under scenario 3:
I have a couple of quesitons around the documentation/certificates I need to provide:
Firstly:
The first document document requirement is this: . I don't have a certificate of citizenship apart from my British passport. Is this required (I need my passport for regular trips abroad)? Will anything else suffice - birth certificate etc.?

Secondly:
The third requirement states this:
- Do I need just one of these or all of them? (I've assuming just 1).
- I have a 'Certificate of Birth' issued from Alberta for my Mother but this is only a certified extract from the registration of birth, Saskatchewan, and not the original birth certificate. Is this ok?
- Seeing as she changed her name when she married in England, do I also need to provide proof of this? I have her UK marriage certificate or a 'British Nationality Acts: Certificate of registration as a citizen of the United Kingom and Colonies' which shows her full married name and her name at birth. Are these ok?

Thank you in advance
First, with your required documents, you don't send the originals, you send in certified/notarized photocopies, you will not be without your passport. Your mothers birth certificate is what they will want to see from that list. Some people don't have a BC, since their parent was naturalized, hence they would submit a copy of their parents citizenship certificate from the naturalization. Lastly, some people who are applying for proof of citizenship may have other documentation proving their citizenship, so their request for citizenship certificates doesn't apply to you, because it'll be your first citizenship cert. Hope this helps.