+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 520

gmix

May 3, 2015
hi to all
i just passed my written test in april for citizenship 20/20 during the interview i was given this form to provide extra doc and the ones im having problems providing are the rental agreements which i dont have, and cant get them...
i dont know what to do??
should i withdraw my application and try later on or is any way else??
plsss help

zafari

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Feb-2012
did u have job or gap between jobs in past 3 years?

for rental agreement, you may have monthly rent payment transactions in ur bank account or rent payment receipts.

gmix

May 3, 2015
yeah i always worked but dont have prof to show that i lived in those addresses, dont know what to do? never thought it was such a big deal till now

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
gmix said:
hi to all
i just passed my written test in april for citizenship 20/20 during the interview i was given this form to provide extra doc and the ones im having problems providing are the rental agreements which i dont have, and cant get them...
i dont know what to do??
plsss help
Why you cannot probably makes a difference.

If it is just a matter of not having such records, explain the circumstances and why there are no rental agreements, and state what you are including in lieu of the rental agreements.

Provide any documentation you can which shows where you were living in Canada, and be sure to cover all months. You could provide letters from the owner/landlord plus any receipts for rent. You could provide utility bills for the places you lived. You could provide letters or statements from room mates, house mates, any one else who can attest to sharing a particular place of abode with you. Be sure these cover the dates involved and again, be sure all months are covered by the dates. Also be sure that any statements describe the person making the statement, what their interest in the address was for that time period, and how they know you and the fact you were living there. Stick to concrete facts, specific details. No opinions. No generalizations.

Depending on what you are able to submit, and whether or not that satisfies whatever questions CIC has, that may either suffice or CIC could issue you a Residence Questionnaire, which would require the submission of far more documentation to support your claims about the time you were resident in Canada.

Here again, in responding to RQ if you get RQ'd, if you do not have the specific documentation requested, you could provide alternative evidence. Here again, the effect depends on whether what you submit satisfies CIC or not.

Probably no need to consider withdrawing the application unless for some reason you simply have no way of documenting where you lived and otherwise have a paucity of records to support your case. For example, if you have strong objective proof showing that you were working at a job site in Canada most weeks for all the time you declared you were in Canada, that is strong evidence of your presence and that may be enough even though you are light on how much you can objectively document your interest in the place of abode you have listed as your places of residence.

Doubt the following applies to you (given your work history in Canada), but just in case:

If, by chance, you cannot document where you lived because your address history in the application was in part not true (for various reasons, some somewhat legitimate some not so legitimate, some people use a friend's or family member's address for example, while they actually lived elsewhere), sure that is problematic. Withdrawing the application or simply not responding to the CIT 0520 request (thus abandoning the application) may avoid being prosecuted for misrepresentation, or may not, and probably will not avoid running into credibility issues later if you apply again.

Obviously, if you were not actually living in Canada all the time declared, probably best to withdraw. Probably a good idea to talk to a lawyer.

gmix

May 3, 2015
ok i see thank you very much
if i apply in a few years are they gonna ask me for the new lease agreements i will have or these ones i didnt have?
if yes, how many years of residence prof i need to be ok?
i appreciate ur answers a lot

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gmix said:
if i apply in a few years are they gonna ask me for the new lease agreements i will have or these ones i didnt have?
Withdrawing your application at this late date is rather extreme. Like dpenabill said, if you have work or other records showing that you were in Canada during at least 3 of the 4 years covered by the application, then I would see no need to start again from scratch. However, if that's really what you want to do, then apply when you have records covering a 4-year period.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
gmix said:
The revised requirements will take effect this year, by mid-summer most likely, so if you re-apply after that the residency requirement will be for four years out of six.

When you make that application, if CIC issues you a similar request or RQ (RQ seems likely if you withdraw now) the request will cover the relevant time period . . . previous six years if that application is made after the revised law takes effect.

But your failure to respond to the CIT 0520 in this instance, if for example you withdraw, may be something which elevates CIC's concerns about your credibility . . . and this could happen for a long time into the future. That does not mean they will go back and ask for these particular records. They would ask for and be concerned with the relevant time period for the new application. But the extent to which CIC has questions, goes digging, or even harbours suspicions could be elevated because you withdraw and do not provide the requested records. (Obviously, CIC could apprehend that the reason for the withdrawal is that you cannot produce the requested documentation because the address history submitted was not true . . . better to explain what you do not have, and why, and provide what you can, so long as your declarations were true, so as to avoid CIC thinking the more negative version.)

Also obviously, if for example CIC alleges you engaged in misrepresentation in this application, then where you have been living will be examined despite an attempt to withdraw.

broadwayeast

Apr 15, 2015
gmix said:
hi to all
i dont know what to do??
plsss help

No need to withdraw, alternatively, you provide them a Statutory Declaration duly sworn BEFORE A NOTARY PUBLIC (it might variably cost you around $25 - $50). Consult a lawyer, if you deemed necessary.

In the said stat declaration, you are required to declare all factual information relating to your actual place of residences. Furthermore, you must provide a detailed explanation clarifying the reasons why you stated those addresses in your citizenship application.

More importantly, provide them a justification as to why you had used your friends' addresses as the mailing address, although you had not actually lived at this address.

No worries, as long as you actually physically presented yourself in Canada during the relevant period and you can prove that as well as you did not give CIC a misrepresentation, your case should be fine. I believe CIC is reasonable enough to listen to all your truthful information.

gmix

May 3, 2015
I didnt know this, ill consult a lawyer. but im so scared it might look like a misrepresentation. i did really live in canada but not in that address. i moved a few places and thats why i used my friends one for my doc. And it turned around and bit me so hard....
i just dont wanna have problems with cic, if anyone has any better idea is more than welcome to type smth.
god bless everybody and this forum that gives some hope