+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC's definition of Full time continuous employment?

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys,

Could someone please shed some light onto CIC's definition of Continuous employment please? I started working (in Canada) on the 18th of September and worked till the 28th of nov (Company 1). I took 12 days break and started work at Company 2 on the 10th of December and have been working there ever since.

Now, my conundrum being: when do I exactly complete my 1 year of employment? Since CIC uses the term "continuous", I wonder if my 10 days of break sets me back by 3 months and I should calculate my employment from the 10th of December?

or, perhaps since I started work on the 18th of September and took 12 days off in between, I roughly reduce 12 days from my employment period (18th September - 12 days) and calculate my employment period as October 2014 - October 2015?

I hope I am making sense. Would really appreciate your help please.

Thanks for reading.

Champ16

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1st Job calculated as
10 Weeks & 1 day
or
71 days

2nd job calculated as
33 weeks & 6 days
or 237 days

Your date of completion on one year is Sep-30-2015
Which is 52 weeks of working experience.

However you wanna give 2 weeks extra and your magic number would be OCT-14-2015

also check with others opinion.

canadasunil

Mar 31, 2015
India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with appl.
File Transfer...
17-07-2015
Med's Request
Submitted with appl.
Med's Done....
13-07-2015
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
07-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-01-2016
This is what I found in CIC website.

"Work experience need not be continuous under the CEC.

Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)]."

I agree with Champ16 that you need a total of 52 weeks of work experience in Canada within the last 36 months before applying.

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadasunil said:
This is what I found in CIC website.

"Work experience need not be continuous under the CEC.

Applicants must have at least 12 months of full-time, Canadian skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time work experience) in one or more NOC 0, A or B occupations within the 36 months before the date of application receipt [R87.1(2)(a)]."

I agree with Champ16 that you need a total of 52 weeks of work experience in Canada within the last 36 months before applying.
Thanks for replying guys.

I wonder if I would be qualified under CEC in the first place? I have about 10 yrs of overseas experience as well so I am assuming if I get an ITA, CIC would would club me under FSW.

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
Work need not be continuous.

And if you have foreign experience most likely you will be invited under fsw. Even most of those eligible for both CEC/fsw got invited under fsw.

canadasunil

Mar 31, 2015
India
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with appl.
File Transfer...
17-07-2015
Med's Request
Submitted with appl.
Med's Done....
13-07-2015
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
07-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-01-2016
I had a total of 9+ years of experience out of which 1+ was in Canada. When I created my profile it was shown that I am eligible under CEC and FSW, but when the ITA came it was mentioned clearly that they are inviting me to apply under FSW...so I assume that might be the case for you also...

Best of luck...

Vishalkapt

Jun 9, 2015
Hi All,

I have a very different dilemma...
Although unfortunately I have worked for 11 months 22 days in my last job due to some reasons, my total working hours are above 1560 hours that CIC mentions on the website for Express Entry eligibility...
The problem is it also mentions that it needs continuous 12 months of work experience and in the bracket mentions 1560 hours for the entire year showing the calculation...
Now even if my employer provides a reference letter stating the number of hours which is more than stipulated hours for the year but the number of months are not 12, will CIC consider me eligible?

I really really need some information on this issue/topic... Thanks in advance for your help guys!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Vishalkapt said:
Hi All,

I have a very different dilemma...
Although unfortunately I have worked for 11 months 22 days in my last job due to some reasons, my total working hours are above 1560 hours that CIC mentions on the website for Express Entry eligibility...
The problem is it also mentions that it needs continuous 12 months of work experience and in the bracket mentions 1560 hours for the entire year showing the calculation...
Now even if my employer provides a reference letter stating the number of hours which is more than stipulated hours for the year but the number of months are not 12, will CIC consider me eligible?
You need to meet both the 1560 hours and 12 weeks requirement. If you only meet one - you are not eligible.

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
Vishalkapt - if your experience is in Canada you can club your previous and current job to complete one year.

If it is outside Canada, it should be 12 months of continuous in one NOC code. So if you have 11 months and 22 days of foreign experience, unfortunately that is not enough. Although CIC website might find you eligible since it is month based, but it might be an issue when you submit your documents.

Also working more than 1560 hours/year or 30hr/week does not matter. Any number of hours more than 30 in a week is still counted as 30. u have to complete 52 weeks.

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry, got another quick question : I read somewhere on the rejection thread that someone got rejected on the grounds that their permit/visa expired while their application was in process. Can anybody shed some light on this? Or, maybe its just those applications that were LMIA/ work permit based that got rejected because they couldn't be renewed in time? I wonder if someone applies for a PR under FSW/CEC INSIDE Canada and his/her permit is about to expire, will CIC reject their application on the above ground?

gakki_prpr

Sep 24, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kaulvirus said:
Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry, got another quick question : I read somewhere on the rejection thread that someone got rejected on the grounds that their permit/visa expired while their application was in process. Can anybody shed some light on this? Or, maybe its just those applications that were LMIA/ work permit based that got rejected because they couldn't be renewed in time? I wonder if someone applies for a PR under FSW/CEC INSIDE Canada and his/her permit is about to expire, will CIC reject their application on the above ground?
No, as long as your status is valid at the time you received ITA, you are good to stay until this application is approved / rejected. But if your work permit expired, you cant work. You will need to apply for BOWP to continue working.

From what I read from the forum, some LMIA holders got rejected because they did not upload the correct letter of employment to prove their job as non-seasonal, or their LMIA expired before ITA.

lotusEsp

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
gakki_prpr said:
No, as long as your status is valid at the time you received ITA, you are good to stay until this application is approved / rejected. But if your work permit expired, you cant work. You will need to apply for BOWP to continue working.
are you certain about that?

you can only get a BOWP if you qualify. And to qualify you have to have submitted an application and received an AOR.

I knew I wouldnt get an AOR in time to get a BOWP before my LMIA ran out - so we had to get another LMIA and extend my WP for a year to make sure I was covered for the entire process.

affan_123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
kaulvirus said:
Hey Guys,

Could someone please shed some light onto CIC's definition of Continuous employment please? I started working (in Canada) on the 18th of September and worked till the 28th of nov (Company 1). I took 12 days break and started work at Company 2 on the 10th of December and have been working there ever since.

Now, my conundrum being: when do I exactly complete my 1 year of employment? Since CIC uses the term "continuous", I wonder if my 10 days of break sets me back by 3 months and I should calculate my employment from the 10th of December?

or, perhaps since I started work on the 18th of September and took 12 days off in between, I roughly reduce 12 days from my employment period (18th September - 12 days) and calculate my employment period as October 2014 - October 2015?

I hope I am making sense. Would really appreciate your help please.

Thanks for reading.
How much work experience do I need to apply under the Canadian Experience Class?

You must have earned at least one year of full-time skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time) in Canada within the three years before we receive your application for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. Your skilled work experience does not have to be continuous but it must total one year of full-time work altogether.

“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1560 hours.

Hope this answers your question

Vishalkapt

Jun 9, 2015
purohit said:
Vishalkapt - if your experience is in Canada you can club your previous and current job to complete one year.

If it is outside Canada, it should be 12 months of continuous in one NOC code. So if you have 11 months and 22 days of foreign experience, unfortunately that is not enough. Although CIC website might find you eligible since it is month based, but it might be an issue when you submit your documents.

Also working more than 1560 hours/year or 30hr/week does not matter. Any number of hours more than 30 in a week is still counted as 30. u have to complete 52 weeks.
Thanks a lot Scylla and Purohit!!!
Unfortunately, my consultant here told me that I am eligible even with the number of working hours which I really doubted because she wasn't able to provide me any official confirmation from CIC or any other sources. Although my bad that I wont be able to apply, I saved quite some bucks by not enroling for their services.

Thanks Again! And All the Best to everybody in the process...

babarsaeed02263

Star Member
Feb 23, 2015
Hi All,

I need to Ask about the length of Experience.
As i worked for a firm from the period (3rd-Sep-2012 until 19th-April-2014).
then i switched to another job period (1st-May-2014 until 30th-Sep-2015) this is my current job too.

Will CIC consider this 3 years of full time experience???

because if they do so then, i could be eligible to EE Profile.

Kind regards: