+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC , travel information

moti

Oct 24, 2012
Hi All,

cic website says that if u need to travel for more than 2 weeks you need to inform them . If one has to travel for 2 weeks do you think its better to inform? what is the best way to inform cic, call or a letter ? how much are the chances that one ll get a test invite during this time period ? I am asking this as I just read another post stating that the person got a test invite just before travel. 8)

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moti said:
Hi All,

cic website says that if u need to travel for more than 2 weeks you need to inform them . If one has to travel for 2 weeks do you think its better to inform? what is the best way to inform cic, call or a letter ? how much are the chances that one ll get a test invite during this time period ? I am asking this as I just read another post stating that the person got a test invite just before travel. 8)
All depends on your time line. If you re expecting the test notice anytime soon you better let them know or, even better, cancel your travel. If, like me, you just applied, you can take a break without even telling them. I took 6 weeks about 20 days after I applied and didn't inform anybody.

applicant314

Star Member
Feb 9, 2014
I left right after my application (university exchange) and checked with 6 agents on the phone and the officer conducting the interview. I always go the same answer: CIC simply wants to know when you are not available for attending the test or the oath ceremony. It's not about discouraging you from going on vacation. Sometimes no-shows are considerable. At my test, 60% didn't show up. In the end, these people are also a reason for the backlog. You only have to inform them if you are certain that you won't be able to receive communication from CIC and won't be able to see them during that time. In my case, I returned to Canada to take the test.
If you decide to inform them, make sure that your note has reached them by verifying with the call-centre.

I think the only problem with leaving after applying exists if you decide to leave Canada for good.

moti

Oct 24, 2012
Thank you applicant 314 and goldline for your response. what would be the best a phone call or a letter to cic to inform.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
applicant314 said:
I left right after my application (university exchange) and checked with 6 agents on the phone and the officer conducting the interview. I always go the same answer: CIC simply wants to know when you are not available for attending the test or the oath ceremony. It's not about discouraging you from going on vacation. Sometimes no-shows are considerable. At my test, 60% didn't show up. In the end, these people are also a reason for the backlog. You only have to inform them if you are certain that you won't be able to receive communication from CIC and won't be able to see them during that time. In my case, I returned to Canada to take the test.
If you decide to inform them, make sure that your note has reached them by verifying with the call-centre.

I think the only problem with leaving after applying exists if you decide to leave Canada for good.
Are you sure 60% didnt show up? seems too high to me

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moti said:
Thank you applicant 314 and goldline for your response. what would be the best a phone call or a letter to cic to inform.
Why not use both ? registered letter followed by a phone call to confirm it was received