+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC Requested for Criminal Record Check (RCMP) even for the stay less than six months stay in Canada

simrat0721

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I submitted mine and my wife's CEC express entry application on Dec 13th 2018 with all the required documents except my wife's criminal record check for Canada since she came to Canada in October 2018 for the first time. It has been only 5 months since she has been here in Canada. I didn't get her RCMP criminal records check done since her stay wasn't longer than six months at the time when I submitted our application.

Now CIC requested for her criminal record check today. It's written in their request letter that you don't need to get your criminal record check done if you haven't stayed in Canada for more than six months. Then why are they requesting for it?

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I submitted mine and my wife's CEC express entry application on Dec 13th 2018 with all the required documents except my wife's criminal record check for Canada since she came to Canada in October 2018 for the first time. It has been only 5 months since she has been here in Canada. I didn't get her RCMP criminal records check done since her stay wasn't longer than six months at the time when I submitted our application.

Now CIC requested for her criminal record check today. It's written in their request letter that you don't need to get your criminal record check done if you haven't stayed in Canada for more than six months. Then why are they requesting for it?
It will be a name/DOB hit when they ran her info in the system and they need her fingerprints to make sure it isn't her.

aaeahmed

Sep 6, 2018
I am in the same situation. just received an RCMP criminal record check request. looks like they are requesting it for all the inland applicants if they are in Canada for more than 6 months. the point is if they are doing a background check on their own why they are requesting us to do it. why doubling the work????
@simrat0721, how long it took you to prepare the RCMP?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I am in the same situation. just received an RCMP criminal record check request. looks like they are requesting it for all the inland applicants if they are in Canada for more than 6 months. the point is if they are doing a background check on their own why they are requesting us to do it. why doubling the work????
@simrat0721, how long it took you to prepare the RCMP?
PCCs are not required for Canada because IRCC does name-based police checks for ALL applicants. Only if a record is returned (for example, if someone with the same name as you has a criminal record), then IRCC asks for the finger-print based RCMP clearance.

aaeahmed

Sep 6, 2018
PCCs are not required for Canada because IRCC does name-based police checks for ALL applicants. Only if a record is returned (for example, if someone with the same name as you has a criminal record), then IRCC asks for the finger-print based RCMP clearance.
makes sense, thanks for your clarification!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
IRCC has sent a letter to my family member for RCMP Criminal Record Check and the letter states that:

“If your residence period in Canada has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide a certified criminal record check.”

My family member stayed in Canada for 5 months and 8 days approximately since birth and same details have been mentioned in the express entry profile and my family member is not in Canada.

Should we still need to submit the RCMP criminal record check?
@simrat0721
@aaeahmed
What was your scenario and what did you do?

aaeahmed

Sep 6, 2018
IRCC has sent a letter to my family member for RCMP Criminal Record Check and the letter states that:

“If your residence period in Canada has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide a certified criminal record check.”

My family member stayed in Canada for 5 months and 8 days approximately since birth and same details have been mentioned in the express entry profile and my family member is not in Canada.

Should we still need to submit the RCMP criminal record check?
@simrat0721
@aaeahmed
What was your scenario and what did you do?
my scenario is different. they asked me for RCMP because of the common name. I got it done in 2 weeks and submitted to CIC. Good Luck!

Reactions: thecoolguysam

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
yeah, I got an RCMP request around the end of April too. It was for me and my wife both. We are currently residing in Canada. I submitted them last week. It was a general request for RCMP check and they gave me a specific email address to email it to, and not upload it to my profile. Haven't even received an automated response regarding that email address acknowledging the receipt of my email.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
yeah, I got an RCMP request around the end of April too. It was for me and my wife both. We are currently residing in Canada. I submitted them last week. It was a general request for RCMP check and they gave me a specific email address to email it to, and not upload it to my profile. Haven't even received an automated response regarding that email address acknowledging the receipt of my email.
I guess you and your wife have been living in Canada for more than 6 months, right? Also, where did you get the fingerprints done?

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
yeah I have been in Canada since sept 2018 and wife has been since oct 2018, and we are in the Hamilton area. Got the prints done in downtown and had them in the mail in exactly a week. (i.e. 5 business days).