+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC Online Residency Calculator - QUESTION

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Hi,

Can someone please clarify this point.

Lets say I landed as PR on July 15, 2007 and moved to live here as resident in August 2010.

What do I fill for the following dates on the RESIDENCY CALCULATOR ?

Arrival Date , Permanent Residence Date, and Application Date.
So far I have filled Permanent Residence date = July 15, 2007, Arrival Date = July 15, 2007 (it will not let me put August 2010)

and of course the Application Date would be what date I put now in 2014 ?

What have you guys who used online calculator and arrived later to reside done ? PLEASE ADVISE Thanks a lot !

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
us2yow said:
Hi,

Can someone please clarify this point.

Lets say I landed as PR on July 15, 2007 and moved to live here as resident in August 2010.

What do I fill for the following dates on the RESIDENCY CALCULATOR ?

Arrival Date , Permanent Residence Date, and Application Date.
So far I have filled Permanent Residence date = July 15, 2007, Arrival Date = July 15, 2007 (it will not let me put August 2010)

and of course the Application Date would be what date I put now in 2014 ?

What have you guys who used online calculator and arrived later to reside done ? PLEASE ADVISE Thanks a lot !
So you lived abroad between landing and August 2010?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Yes....like many others ...for a variety of reasons...

so what do I put in the dates ?

Also, the online calculator is the user friendly one yes. But, there is also the PDF/handfilled one which one should use ONLY IF they don't use the online Residency calc.

So, what dates do I fill. As mentioned, I have already pulled example scenarios based on date I will sign but using the Arrival Date and Residence Date as the same. I was not here earlier as Student or TFW but landed as PR on the mentioned 2007 date

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
I think Arrival Date here apply for people lived in Canada Before being PR (Like Students and Workers). So Arrival Date is before or at the date of PR Only.

For your case I would guess arrival date = PR Date. While the Period between July 15th 2007 and August 2010 will be claimed as travel time. Thats just my guess.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I think you are right. I realized the same by searching around quickly. But, would be just curious to see what others say.

Any other comments people ? Thx

coolblues1980

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
The calculator wouldnt allow you to put an arrival date that is greater than the PR date. It has be to be less than or equal to PR date if I'm not mistaken.

I was in the same situation as you, so I declared the period from PR landing to the date I came to live permanently in Canada as absence in the residence calculator.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
coolblues1980,

you confused me a bit. You are saying:

(1) Keep Arrival Date and Permanent Residence Date as the same ? (note: I landed as PR was not here earlier as student or TFW);

But did you use online calculator or the handfilled residence calculator?

It just ask for last 4 years. Then how does the period before you move (which is outside 4 years even come into the picture in the ONLINE calculator).... you confused me there

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calculator needs your arrival date to ensure as a minimum you meet the basic residence. Put in your landing date as your arrival date and take it from there when it moves into calculating physical presence based on declared absences and today being application date.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Lovely. Thanks again MSafiri. That was reassuring.

I figured I was on the right track earlier (when I pulled the scenarios using approach you mentioned and have done so all this while). However, all of a sudden I was gripped with a sudden doubt, which has now been cast aside.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also have a question regarding this residency calculator. In few of my trips, I had multiple destinations so for example,

I left Canada to Amsterdam then Dubai then Italy and back to Canada, My main destination was Dubai...

How should I mention it as I wanna tell them I have been in multiple countries so they won't get confused with my Europe stamps?

Thanks,

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
Lovely. Thanks again MSafiri. That was reassuring.

I figured I was on the right track earlier (when I pulled the scenarios using approach you mentioned and have done so all this while). However, all of a sudden I was gripped with a sudden doubt, which has now been cast aside.
No doubt...for such a straightforward application it can seem quite complicated. There is pressure to get it right too given the potential consequences of any error especially with the day count. It will work out ok just take your time with preparation and get it right. Good luck.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaazdeh said:
I also have a question regarding this residency calculator. In few of my trips, I had multiple destinations so for example,

I left Canada to Amsterdam then Dubai then Italy and back to Canada, My main destination was Dubai...

How should I mention it as I wanna tell them I have been in multiple countries so they won't get confused with my Europe stamps?

Thanks,
Shaazdeh, If you read the fine prints on the online residency calculator, it says: If you have visited multiple countries in one absence, mention the main destination and add the names of the other countries in the 'Reason' box... In your case, the main destination will be dubai.. For example, if you left May 1, 2004 to Amserdam, visited Dubai, then Oman and then came to Canada on June 1... your absence will be ONE line May 1 - June 1 -Destination Dubai, Mention Amsterdam and Oman in the Reason box.

If you break it down into three different destination, your absence will NOT be correct. CIC only cars about your absence dates in short.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaazdeh said:
Thank you so much Sept21. You were a great help xox :)
No problemo - I was in the same situation, called CIC and they informed me of that and referred me to that line on the online resideny calculator.... The way it works, just for your peace of mind is:
If you break it into three for example:
May 1 - May 10: Netherland
May 11 - May 25: UAE
May 26 - June 1: Oman,

CIC actually gives you credit for May 10, May 25, and June 1 (because CIC assumes you were in Canada/returned to Canada on those days BUT in fact you were NOT in Canada those days.... makes sense? Hence, it is not accurate if you break it down.

Here is my source of Info (I am not making this out of my a** (lol):

Q4: When I try to calculate my absences, I get different numbers than the residence calculator. How does the residence calculator determine the number of days for each absence?

A4: The calculator uses the following rules to determine the number of days absent for each absence declared:

When calculating an absence, either the day you leave Canada or the day you return is considered an absence, but not both. For example, an absence between July 1, 2003 and July 15, 2003 equals 14 days of absence.

question 4: https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do;jsessionid=015E2C931553F9CACCBC610FA7F0900C?redir=faq#Q2

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does definitely make sense and it will look organized. Thank you so much for putting so much time to answer my question.

I do appreciate if you can answer my next question.

I used to be an international student and then I became PR. when I put my landing date and travelling dates it seems my days count from April 24th, 2010, my latest passport's issue date is 30th April, 2010... Do I need to include the copy of my old passport because of those 6 days?!!!. As in my old passport I do have some 2008 stamps that need a translation, I am wondering if I include the old passport, should I include the translation of old stamps as well?

+1 for you :)

Thank you so much