+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC incompetent

hyper

Star Member
May 26, 2016
mikeymyke said:
What I'm saying is there are FAR more cases of marriage fraud done by people from developing countries than rich ones. It doesn't take a genius or a CIC employee to figure that out, as most marriage fraud cases probably occur due to the desire for a better quality of life, to escape poverty, the ability to travel visa free to most countries, or to get the social benefits that Canada offers. Less cases of marriage fraud from the rich countries obviously because applicants likely already have a good quality of life back in their home country.

So now, the rest of us get screwed over because for example, there are such large # of cases of marriage fraud from Pakistan that naveedali has to wait longer to reunite with his wife. Is that fair? If not, why aren't we bashing those marriage fraudsters from Pakistan instead of our government? Also, because the Pakistani government is so inept at creating genuine documents, I believe Pakistan is one of the few countries where the applicant has to submit original documents from pakistan instead of photocopies.

I don't know why are you getting so worked up over this. This is common sense.

Also you guys need to stop comparing Canada to the US or the UK as to how fast they're processing the spousal PR files. They might be identical countries in terms of wealth and quality of life, but in the end, they're still different countries, and different countries will have their own way of doing things whether it's inefficient or not. Having been to all 3 countries, I can say that I'd definitely prefer to live in Canada, no matter if it takes 2 years to come here. It's a privilege to be living in the best country in the world for raising families.

I agree with you. I have been to US and UK as well and I can tell u that Canada is far more better than them however, Canada is not the best country in the world as much as I love Canada with my whole heart.. If you have ever been to Norway and Switzerland,they are the best countries in the world..

Secondly, I think you are getting me wrong, I understand Pakistanis,Indian,Vietnams, and all those countries you mention have a very high case of marriage fraud but what I'm saying is that if other developed countries can process family sponsorship application in 3month, Canada should be able to do thesame, all they have to do is deny sham marriage they suspect.. Even if they reduce the processing time to 6months, people won't be so frustrated

mia_79

Star Member
Apr 5, 2016
Warsaw - PL / Oshawa - CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
Doc's Request.
23-02-2016 (missed); request by phone on 21-06-2016
AOR Received.
24-12-2015
File Transfer...
28-01-2016
Med's Done....
Prior to submission
Interview........
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2016
LANDED..........
Tickets bought for: 12-09-2016
buonqua said:
That scares me because it's similar to my situation. 2 year marriage but have co-habited for 3 years. Have a 1-year old Canadian citizen daughter. Been going back and forth between Canada and Vietnam. Will be heading to Vietnam next week and plan on staying with her and our daughter throughout the application process.

Wish they could just come to our house and they can nose around wherever they like. Talk with all the neighbours. That would be the solid proof our relationship is genuine. Or if they accept videos. I could record our daily lives for them to see our relationship is genuine.
Don't worry, i'm sure you will be approved.
Make sure your spouse checks her e-mail though and all will be fine :)
From what I hear, some VO's invite for interviews randomly, without any specific issue.
They talk to you for a few minutes and ask the sliest of things.
When they're satisfied they may take your passport on the spot and issue a PR visa in the following weeks.
So the interview isn't all that bad :)

mia_79

Star Member
Apr 5, 2016
Warsaw - PL / Oshawa - CA
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
Doc's Request.
23-02-2016 (missed); request by phone on 21-06-2016
AOR Received.
24-12-2015
File Transfer...
28-01-2016
Med's Done....
Prior to submission
Interview........
21-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2016
LANDED..........
Tickets bought for: 12-09-2016
s.and.s said:
Guys, I totally understand everyone's frustrations. But how many of us have actually contacted our MPs regarding this?

I recently wrote to mine. Also cc'd Minister John McCallum <john.mccallum@parl.gc.ca> on it. You can easily find your MP's email addresses at Parliament of Canada's website.

I appreciate that this forum serves as a support group for so many of us, but I suggest we start emailing our MPs instead of venting our frustrations here. It really doesn't take much, and the more of us do this, the better it is. I've made it my personal mandate to send an email once a week. And I will continue to do so until I see some results.
I contacted my local MP.
He's on the case, hope we get some positive feedback and they discuss how to fix some problematic areas in the screening process.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
flx2015 said:
mikeymyke, i totally agree with you that countries such as pakistan, india, vietnam, etc have higher rates of marriage fraud and are terrible at record keeping. however i'm not entirely sure that this is the reason why some of the visa offices are taking longer to process applications.

1. new delhi VO has succesfully been able to process 2016 applications within 2-3 months, whereas last year they were taking upwards of 16 or more months. this has raised quite a few eyebrows around here.
2. london VO meanwhile is responsible for processing both pakistani and british applications, and according to our spreadsheets, pakistani applications at LVO are currently being processed within the same timeframe as british applications at LVO (7.5 to 8.0 months).

for point #2 above, you'll see different processing times listed on the CIC website. i'm thinking this is the result of the backlog created by islamabad VO (which was diverted in 2012-2013) skewing the average.
hyper said:
Secondly, I think you are getting me wrong, I understand Pakistanis,Indian,Vietnams, and all those countries you mention have a very high case of marriage fraud but what I'm saying is that if other developed countries can process family sponsorship application in 3month, Canada should be able to do thesame, all they have to do is deny sham marriage they suspect.. Even if they reduce the processing time to 6months, people won't be so frustrated
There are many more factors besides "immigration fraud" that cause applications to take longer to process. this topic has been debated at length here, yet people seem to forget this when getting all heated about how unfair the process is. One of the most important factors to consider is the length of time it takes countries to respond to requests from CIC. Response time is not standard across the world. Countries like the US, UK, AU, NZ, etc. respond to requests a heck of a lot quicker than the countries listed above. We can see this even in the US processing. While a US citizen may get through lickity split, US Permanent residents take closer to a year to process. Why? Probably because CIC has to confirm details from the US AND the applicant's home country. The US and Canada have open sharing laws, so it's easy to get info. Many many many other countries do not, and it can take months to get the requested information.

There is so much more to this than just immigration fraud. there are many factors we don't even know about. for instance, do we know the internal directives, exact processes, and work habits at these visa offices? no we don't. Everyone is just assuming that these visa officers are lazy. well you know what, they are people just like us and they have to follow rules, laws and directives we are not privvy to. I understand the frustrations, however it seriously irritates me to read such nastiness about other humans doing their job. I have no doubt if we saw what actually went on in these offices, all the negative nellies would be singing a different tune.

I also agree processing shouldn't take a long time, but really not ALL the fault is on Canada or CIC. This is the result of the world we live in now.

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
mikeymyke said:
What I'm saying is there are FAR more cases of marriage fraud done by people from developing countries than rich ones. It doesn't take a genius or a CIC employee to figure that out, as most marriage fraud cases probably occur due to the desire for a better quality of life, to escape poverty, the ability to travel visa free to most countries, or to get the social benefits that Canada offers. Less cases of marriage fraud from the rich countries obviously because applicants likely already have a good quality of life back in their home country.

So now, the rest of us get screwed over because for example, there are such large # of cases of marriage fraud from Pakistan that naveedali has to wait longer to reunite with his wife. Is that fair? If not, why aren't we bashing those marriage fraudsters from Pakistan instead of our government? Also, because the Pakistani government is so inept at creating genuine documents, I believe Pakistan is one of the few countries where the applicant has to submit original documents from pakistan instead of photocopies.

I don't know why are you getting so worked up over this. This is common sense.

Also you guys need to stop comparing Canada to the US or the UK as to how fast they're processing the spousal PR files. They might be identical countries in terms of wealth and quality of life, but in the end, they're still different countries, and different countries will have their own way of doing things whether it's inefficient or not. Having been to all 3 countries, I can say that I'd definitely prefer to live in Canada, no matter if it takes 2 years to come here. It's a privilege to be living in the best country in the world for raising families.
I was with you until the last paragraph. Even if you think Canada is the best country overall, that doesn't mean you should silently accept its flaws. It's true that some comparisons are unfair because of differences between countries, but you need to identify the differences first before assuming they are the only reason. Until then, it's totally legitimate to compare and question why one country is lagging so far behind others. I think part of the problem is that Canada isn't even asking the question because we're deluded with this idea of being the best. Last year, the immigration minister Chris Alexander actually stated "Canada has the fastest, most flexible, and fairest immigration system in the entire world" (video here). It's complete delusion and ignorance of the facts.

In overall integration, Canada dropped 3 places in world rankings in last year's review:

Canada slips out of top-five countries in integrating immigrants

Sure, it's still higher than the US and UK's overall scores, but that may not last forever either... especially if we keep being complacent and believing nothing needs to be fixed because we're already the "best".

hyper

Star Member
May 26, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
There are many more factors besides "immigration fraud" that cause applications to take longer to process. this topic has been debated at length here, yet people seem to forget this when getting all heated about how unfair the process is. One of the most important factors to consider is the length of time it takes countries to respond to requests from CIC. Response time is not standard across the world. Countries like the US, UK, AU, NZ, etc. respond to requests a heck of a lot quicker than the countries listed above. We can see this even in the US processing. While a US citizen may get through lickity split, US Permanent residents take closer to a year to process. Why? Probably because CIC has to confirm details from the US AND the applicant's home country. The US and Canada have open sharing laws, so it's easy to get info. Many many many other countries do not, and it can take months to get the requested information.

There is so much more to this than just immigration fraud. there are many factors we don't even know about. for instance, do we know the internal directives, exact processes, and work habits at these visa offices? no we don't. Everyone is just assuming that these visa officers are lazy. well you know what, they are people just like us and they have to follow rules, laws and directives we are not privvy to. I understand the frustrations, however it seriously irritates me to read such nastiness about other humans doing their job. I have no doubt if we saw what actually went on in these offices, all the negative nellies would be singing a different tune.

I also agree processing shouldn't take a long time, but really not ALL the fault is on Canada or CIC. This is the result of the world we live in now.

I think you should read people's comment very well before commenting, I never said CIC workers are slow. What I said is that CIC should try to reduce the processing time to at least 6months.. All the challenges with people's application that may be coursing delay in their application as u said, are u saying those countries that are processing family sponsorship application within 3months don't have those challenges too?
CIC staffs are doing a great job and I'm proud of them, I know it's not their fault, they are only following the law.

Its hard to be away from someone you truely love for more than one year.. CIC should understand that. All we ask is for CIC to reduce the processing time

flx2015

Champion Member
Jul 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Dec-2015
Doc's Request.
16-Sept-2016
Med's Request
16-Sept-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-Oct-2016
hey settle down guys. no need to get confrontational.

at the end of the day, it is tough to be away from our loved ones and this causes emotions to run rampant, hence threads like this one. whatever's causing the delay, i hope everyone gets through this sooner rather than later. let's wait.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hyper said:
I think you should read people's comment very well before commenting, I never said CIC workers are slow.
I am referencing on the thread topic : "CIC Incompetent". that right there suggests negative perceptions of cic and promotes blaming CIC for slow processing times that are not always in CIC's control. Again, it may not be possible to reduce ALL processing times to 6 months for the very reasons i suggested in my post. Again, there is more to it than just concern for "immigration fraud" . These other reasons need to be acknowledged and accepted, yet they seem to be conveniently glossed over in these discussions.

if we want something to change then people need to do what the above poster suggested and write to our MPs. Even then, i'm not confident things would change because again, it's NOT All about what's wrong with Canada's process. Perhaps those from countries with higher processing times need to start writing to representatives in their home country (not canada) and ask their own government why it takes so long to respond to CIC requests. complaining and calling CIC incompetent is not going to change the system.

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
I am referencing on the thread topic : "CIC Incompetent". that right there suggests negative perceptions of cic and promotes blaming CIC for slow processing times that are not always in CIC's control. Again, it may not be possible to reduce ALL processing times to 6 months for the very reasons i suggested in my post. Again, there is more to it than just concern for "immigration fraud" . These other reasons need to be acknowledged and accepted, yet they seem to be conveniently glossed over in these discussions.

if we want something to change then people need to do what the above poster suggested and write to our MPs. Even then, i'm not confident things would change because again, it's NOT All about what's wrong with Canada's process. Perhaps those from countries with higher processing times need to start writing to representatives in their home country (not canada) and ask their own government why it takes so long to respond to CIC requests. complaining and calling CIC incompetent is not going to change the system.
The problem is you are comparing CIC's processing of applicants from some countries to CIC's processing of applicants from other countries. In that context you are right that the differences have a lot to do with those countries, but that isn't addressing the thread topic. That is CIC's competence relative to other developed countries' immigration departments, which you haven't commented on at all. Last I checked, the UK and Australia take migrants from those "difficult" countries as well, yet they still manage to process everyone within 6 months. So unless you're suggesting these other governments are putting up roadblocks specifically against Canada, shifting blame to them doesn't work.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
nmclean said:
The problem is you are comparing CIC's processing of applicants from some countries to CIC's processing of applicants from other countries. In that context you are right that the differences have a lot to do with those countries, but that isn't addressing the thread topic. That is CIC's competence relative to other developed countries' immigration departments, which you haven't commented on at all. Last I checked, the UK and Australia take migrants from those "difficult" countries as well, yet they still manage to process everyone within 6 months. So unless you're suggesting these other governments are putting up roadblocks specifically against Canada, shifting blame to them doesn't work.
isn't that EXACTLY what you are doing as well? suggesting that because every other country can supposidely process all those applications within 6 months, so must Canada? i am not seeing the difference here, and what is it specifically you want me to comment about? I don't consider CIC incompetent because they don't follow the same processing and immigration rules as other countries. why should ANY country's immigration policies and processing be compared at all to canada? every country has different rules. look at all the issues that comes with other countries approving everyone in 6 months. seems pretty reasonable to me that canada would want to vet people more than other countries. as a us citizen, i can respect the fact they want to protect their borders and not open themselves up to what is being seen across europe and the us. do i believe there should be changes made to family sponsorship? absolutely! should canada process quicker just because other countries do? absolutely not!

my point is it's pretty irresponsible calling cic incompetent because someone doesn't like the way the process is and they think Canada should be processing applications the same way other countries do. if a person wants a quick immigration process, then why aren't they trying to immigrate to a country where they can be processed within 6 months?

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
isn't that EXACTLY what you are doing as well?
Those two sentences you highlighted are not the same. One refers to the interaction between CIC and other countries' citizens and governments, and the other refers to the immigration departments of other countries. Those are completely different topics.

CDNPR2014 said:
I don't consider CIC incompetent because they don't follow the same processing and immigration rules as other countries. why should ANY country's immigration policies and processing be compared at all to canada? every country has different rules. look at all the issues that comes with other countries approving everyone in 6 months. seems pretty reasonable to me that canada would want to vet people more than other countries.
How do you know Canada is vetting people "more" than these countries? You can't assume that just because it takes so long, they must be working harder and better, and use that assumption to argue that we shouldn't have a problem with it taking so long. That's circular reasoning.

CDNPR2014 said:
my point is it's pretty irresponsible calling cic incompetent because someone doesn't like the way the process is and they think Canada should be processing applications the same way other countries do. if a person wants a quick immigration process, then why aren't they trying to immigrate to a country where they can be processed within 6 months?
What is irresponsible is refusing to question the discrepancy at all, and just assuming our way is the right way. And telling people they should just immigrate to a different country if they don't like it, even more so.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
nmclean said:
Those two sentences you highlighted are not the same. One refers to the interaction between CIC and other countries' citizens and governments, and the other refers to the immigration departments of other countries. Those are completely different topics.

How do you know Canada is vetting people "more" than these countries? You can't assume that just because it takes so long, they must be working harder, and use that assumption to argue that we shouldn't have a problem with it taking so long. That's circular reasoning.

What is irresponsible is refusing to question the discrepancy at all, and just assuming our way is the right way. And telling people they should just immigrate to a different country if they don't like it, even more so.
wow you certainly love to nit pick. when did i ever assume "our way is the right way"? i never once suggested canada's system is perfect. i know it is not - i have been through the system. did you read the part where i said things should be changed?

CDNPR2014 said:
do i believe there should be changes made to family sponsorship? absolutely!
you're right, it's not correct to assume canada IS vetting people MORE than other countries.

telling people to stop b**ching about a system that can't be changed TODAY is not irresponsible. it's practical. i'm not saying don't come to canada. i'm saying the system is the way it is, and we all have to deal with it. if people don't like it, take action, do something (though i have doubts either of these will lead to change) or CHOOSE ANOTHER OPTION. There is always another option, whether people like to admit it or not.

since we obviously don't see the same on anything, i will leave it at that as this back and forth gets us nowhere and it's certainly not why i am here on this forum. best of luck with your immigration. i wish you a successful process and hope you live a very happy life in canada with your family.

buzatti

Star Member
Jan 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2015
File Transfer...
06-01-2016
Interview........
02-08-2016
Passport Req..
22-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2016
LANDED..........
15-10-2016
Speaking notes for John McCallum, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1045979): "...We have a huge issue where it takes forever for spouses to reunite with each other two years, which is unacceptable, absolutely unacceptable. It should be six months..."

gabba50

Mar 16, 2016
Calgary,AB
Category........
Visa Office......
DAR ES SALAAM, TANZANIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2016
AOR Received.
30-03-2016
File Transfer...
05-04-2016
Med's Done....
13-01-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2016
LANDED..........
11-09-2016
buzatti said:
Speaking notes for John McCallum, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1045979): "...We have a huge issue where it takes forever for spouses to reunite with each other two years, which is unacceptable, absolutely unacceptable. It should be six months..."
At least he understands our frustration, when he says 6 months he knows it's possible, they processed refugees applications under 6 months but I am not sure if they did the same security check as ones they do with our applications, do you think every refugee provided a police check and the officer waited for a feedback from every listed country before making a decision? I doubt ::) ::)... so he knows what kind of security check they can use to process faster instead of waiting in vain for those slow countries.

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
wow you certainly love to nit pick. when did i ever assume "our way is the right way"? i never once suggested canada's system is perfect. i know it is not - i have been through the system. did you read the part where i said things should be changed?
And when did I say you thought it was "perfect"? What you were specifically saying is that Canada should not try to duplicate other countries, based on the assumption that their shorter times are directly related to "issues" caused by supposedly not vetting people sufficiently. I think that is naive.

CDNPR2014 said:
telling people to stop b**ching about a system that can't be changed TODAY is not irresponsible. it's practical. i'm not saying don't come to canada. i'm saying the system is the way it is, and we all have to deal with it. if people don't like it, take action, do something or CHOOSE ANOTHER OPTION. There is always another option, whether people like to admit it or not.
Do you consider yourself to be "taking action" by coming in here and trying to invalidate the complaints? If anything, what you are doing is even less effective, and anti-progressive at worst. At least it is being discussed. Let me give you some "practical" advice as well and inform you that people are going to discuss this whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, deal with it, and choose another thread.