+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC Eliminates Counterfoils for Approved PRs from Visa Exempt Countries

Charlamag

Aug 31, 2011
As the above statement from immigration indicates - the only thing you will have is COPR. We did get the passport stamped but used the COPR and passport for obtaining the SIN number.
Settler information still reflects the counterfoil as a requirement of getting a SIN however, since these will not be issued to everyone, I would assume that this information will be changed to the COPR and/or PR card being the requirement.

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
@ charlamag

Your husband was very fortunate about the SIN! I wonder why the offices are not consistent that way. Three months after landing my husband is finally able to apply for jobs. Its been frustrating because I am on maternity leave so our income is pretty small right now, and he has been waiting to work for so long. Hopefully they do change it for future cases. Once a person lands, he or she should be able to contribute to society just like those who are already here! (Just think of all the taxes not being paid because some people can't work as soon as they land haha)

One thing that was different for us was that as soon as he got the COPR we went to get him Alberta Health Care and his was effective immediately because I have it already. No three month wait. Different offices, different SIN rules; different provinces, different health care rules!!

He was also able to apply for the Alberta driver's license with the COPR. Well, learner's license. He needs to do a bunch of paperwork if he wants to transfer his license from home and get the full license immediately. It's free for him to drive our car as a learner, as in no extra charge to the insurance. If he does the transfer and gets the license, as a new Canadian driver, the car insurance will more than double!!

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
rjessome said:
Didn't he just answer that? To ensure it is valid and that the biodata hasn't changed.
No actually, he didn't. He gave a reason as to why they might still be requesting the passport, but he didn't give a reason as to why they'd do away with the counterfoil if they're still going to be requesting that passports are sent.

Also, a poster on the Buffalo thread pointed out this morning that the COPR is not stapled to the passport until landing. Her passport received the counterfoil at the consulate's office, and when she arrived at the border to land the immigration officer checked the COPR and attached it to her passport. Obviously we will have to wait and see what the letters received by PR applicants effected by this say after Dec. 1st, but I really would be surprised that they'd do away with the counterfoil and yet still require the mailing of passports to the Consulate's office. Especially if all that needs to be done with them is check their validity and that the biodata is accurate, since the immigration officer should be able to do that during the landing.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmericaninQuebec said:
No actually, he didn't. He gave a reason as to why they might still be requesting the passport, but he didn't give a reason as to why they'd do away with the counterfoil if they're still going to be requesting that passports are sent.

Also, a poster on the Buffalo thread pointed out this morning that the COPR is not stapled to the passport until landing. Her passport received the counterfoil at the consulate's office, and when she arrived at the border to land the immigration officer checked the COPR and attached it to her passport. Obviously we will have to wait and see what the letters received by PR applicants effected by this say after Dec. 1st, but I really would be surprised that they'd do away with the counterfoil and yet still require the mailing of passports to the Consulate's office. Especially if all that needs to be done with them is check their validity and that the biodata is accurate, since the immigration officer should be able to do that during the landing.
You know, I read your question the same way PMM did. But I see what you are asking now. Easy. Money. And also the usefulness of a visa for a visa exempt person. Technically, a visa is a document that allows an individual entry into Canada. Visa exempt individuals don't need a "visa" to enter Canada. Immigrant visas counterfoils were introduced just a few years ago. They did not exist ten years ago when consulates and embassies only issued IMM1000s. There is no use of that counterfoil anyway. This is a move in right direction.

Next right move should be to begin blending visa and work or study permit in one counterfoil document - same way as Americans have been doing for years. It will ensure no work or study permit is lost unless the passport is lost, and CIC will save tons of money by quitting printing work and study permits on extremely expensive paper and use their savings to work harder on eliminating immigration backlogs.

And you are also talking about two different departments, CIC and CBSA (except for inland). One is for process and the other enforcement. So overseas consulates/embassies must ensure the passport and biodata information is the same when issuing the COPR and when it is checked at the POE or by the inland officer if landing locally. Lots of people renew passports during the processing time for PR. If they have a new passport, this information gets entered into the system. And that's CIC's job, not CBSA's.

I do get what you are saying but there have to be checks and balances in the system.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Charlamag: I agree with justina. I too applied inland and needed to wait to receive my PR card before they would give me a SIN number.
Only a few local offices hold a Service Canada in the same building and give the SIN number to inland applicants without the need of a PR card.

It even states on this page on the Service Canada website that PR card is the only thing they will accept for inland applicants (of course except for the scatter few local offices). Here it is: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

And it states the following: "Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada." Claim processed in Canada = inland process.

Anyway, as long as this doesn't cause conflict in the landing process (which I am confident it won't) and doesn't delay getting a SIN number like it does for some inland applicants, then I believe this will be great. Plus as Baloo stated, no worry of losing your passport in the mail. When will this come into effect rjessome?

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
rjessome said:
The Operational Bulletin said the change will take effect December 1, 2011.
Oh silly me. I really must be more tired than I thought. :-[ Thank you for stating that. I really hope to see good things come of this. It seems promising.

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
Love_Young : Our local office has CIC, EI, SIN, Passport, Revenue Canada, Military....and I am sure there is more. Yet it wasn't an option. Maybe its the location, or the size of the office. But I thought you landed at a smaller office, and ours is bigger. CIC works in mysterious ways....

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
OK, this new no-counterfoil thing just got into effect today, and I think I have some more info now.

I'm a member ofa forum for dutch citizens who are immigrating (or have immigrated) to Canada, and one of them (a skilled worker) got their passport request today.

Instead of her passport, she was asked to submit her passport copy and another payment receipt of her latest payment, and in response to that she will get a Confirmation of Permanent Residence ( COPR) form which she can use to land.

I wonder whether it is possible to send passport copy/new receipt through email, wouldn't that be convenient and efficient!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I assume it would be pretty similar for FC stream applicants. So she said they asked for another copy of what would be the landing (RPRF) fee, I presume? Are they sending the COPR form via postal mail?
Indigo said:
OK, this new no-counterfoil thing just got into effect today, and I think I have some more info now.

I'm a member ofa forum for dutch citizens who are immigrating (or have immigrated) to Canada, and one of them (a skilled worker) got their passport request today.

Instead of her passport, she was asked to submit her passport copy and another payment receipt of her latest payment, and in response to that she will get a Confirmation of Permanent Residence ( COPR) form which she can use to land.

I wonder whether it is possible to send passport copy/new receipt through email, wouldn't that be convenient and efficient!

Indigo

Oct 22, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin, Germany
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-09-2011
AOR Received.
05-01-2012
File Transfer...
25-11-2011
Med's Done....
26-08-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2012 (COPR)
LANDED..........
22-01-2012
Don't know yet. As soon as I find out something more, I will share it!

Though I'm sure visa exempt forum members here will start getting "new style" PPR's any day now!

Timemachine

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo--->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2011
AOR Received.
23-02-2012
File Transfer...
03-02-2012
Med's Done....
17-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-04-2012
LANDED..........
01-05-2012
Here's the "updated" bulletin from today....still not all that clear...can anyone else decipher this?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348a.asp

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Timemachine said:
Here's the "updated" bulletin from today....still not all that clear...can anyone else decipher this?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348a.asp
Yes. If you are visa exempt, the VO can choose whether they want to see the original passport upon COPR issuance or just a photocopy of ALL the pages of the passport. Nothing has changed for people who are not visa exempt. The rest is technical instructions for CIC staff to enter into the computer system.

Timemachine

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo--->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2011
AOR Received.
23-02-2012
File Transfer...
03-02-2012
Med's Done....
17-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-04-2012
LANDED..........
01-05-2012
That's good news, at least it will eliminate the 2-3 weeks additional time to send the passport back and forth. Unfortunately my husband needs to give at least a months notice before he can leave his job so either way we'll have to add a month to the waiting time even after we recieve COPR :(

There was also another bulletin today saying they will no longer be mailing out forms and instruction packets in the mail, which is also great, at least it will free up the workers to process more apps instead of mailing out forms! Good to see CIC taking steps to make the process more efficient! :)

pegasusyt

Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
this again makes me wonder which of my passport should I send in to my VO... my Argentine or Spanish one.. I was all set on sending the Spanish one but Spain is visa exempt.. if I do, will that bbe a problem since they're eliminating the foil thing? Wonder if I can send the Argentinian passport for them to put the foil in, then enter the US on my Spanish passport (visa exempt) and come back to land? So confused and I only have a few days left to do this :(