waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
Baloo said:
It should save time as well, the odd thing is, this actually makes sense.
That's what makes it so hard to believe. The CIC doing something that makes sense and may cut down on processing time? Are we sure they're not just toying with us? Haha.

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
mmshock said:
I imagine that you'd still have to provide them somehow with certain information and they would issue/send you your COPR to land.

You wouldn't have to wait for your PR card to get your SIN as you would still have your COPR document.
Inland PR requires the PR card to get one's SIN. The COPR is not sufficient, a foil in the passport is required. That is what I was questioning, if the situation would be the same. rjessome? Would you know?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
justina said:
Inland PR requires the PR card to get one's SIN. The COPR is not sufficient, a foil in the passport is required. That is what I was questioning, if the situation would be the same. rjessome? Would you know?
Sorry, I don't know. Hopefully the two departments (Service Canada and CIC) will communicate on this.

Charlamag

Aug 31, 2011
The PR card itself is NOT necessary to get a SIN.

My spouse landed and received his PR paperwork. We walked out into the office and he immediately received his SIN from the person there. We have not yet received the actual PR card and obtained the SIN with only the landing paperwork that was stamped as approved. No problems. No issues. Very simple.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Does CIC say what is the advantage of eliminating the counterfoil for those from visa-exempt countries? Is it a cost and time saver -- which it appears to be? If so, why did it take so long?

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
Charlamag said:
The PR card itself is NOT necessary to get a SIN.

My spouse landed and received his PR paperwork. We walked out into the office and he immediately received his SIN from the person there. We have not yet received the actual PR card and obtained the SIN with only the landing paperwork that was stamped as approved. No problems. No issues. Very simple.
Ah, but were you outland or inland? And if inland, at which office? Most larger offices do not allow this option. (It seems to not be consistent, which is rather unfair!)

My husband landed inland in Edmonton, therefore, no counterfoil, only the COPR and a stamp in the passport. The PR card WAS necessary to get his SIN. He had to wait 65 business days til his PR card showed up and he could apply for his SIN. He tried twice with the COPR, the second time after calling CIC and being told he could get it.

Very simple for you, but not so for us. This is why I asked the question. PR cards seem to be majorly delayed. A friend in Ontario landed in July and at last report was told she would not receive her PR card until February. If she didn't have a counterfoil, she would be waiting a very long time to be able to apply for a SIN.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Does CIC say what is the advantage of eliminating the counterfoil for those from visa-exempt countries? Is it a cost and time saver -- which it appears to be? If so, why did it take so long?
Do you really have to ask this :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
justina said:
A friend in Ontario landed in July and at last report was told she would not receive her PR card until February.
Your friends case is not the norm, I know a few people in Ontario who landed in late July and received their cards in late September.

They were a mix of inland and outland, all of them received their SIN at Service Canada (Ottawa area) all they used was their passport and COPR.

FWIW the rules are rarely implemented with any consistency.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
toby said:
I would say both. It immediately reduces workload handled by Consulate offices as they no longer have to receive, handle and return passports for these individuals. as for why...does any government do things in a timely and efficient manner ever?

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
Baloo said:
Your friends case is not the norm, I know a few people in Ontario who landed in late July and received their cards in late September.

They were a mix of inland and outland, all of them received their SIN at Service Canada (Ottawa area) all they used was their passport and COPR.

FWIW the rules are rarely implemented with any consistency.
Wow, my friend is really unlucky :( . She landed in Toronto, maybe that was the difference.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

AmericaninQuebec said:
I would say both. It immediately reduces workload handled by Consulate offices as they no longer have to receive, handle and return passports for these individuals. as for why...does any government do things in a timely and efficient manner ever?
I don't see anywhere in the instructions that you no longer submit passports. They may continue to request the passport to confirm it is valid, the bio data is the same and then staple the copr in.

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
PMM said:
Hi

I don't see anywhere in the instructions that you no longer submit passports. They may continue to request the passport to confirm it is valid, the bio data is the same and then staple the copr in.
Now that seems like a real waste of time then. Why bother doing away with the counterfoil if they're still going to go through with requesting the passport?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmericaninQuebec said:
Now that seems like a real waste of time then. Why bother doing away with the counterfoil if they're still going to go through with requesting the passport?
Didn't he just answer that? To ensure it is valid and that the biodata hasn't changed.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, rjessome. How did you find out about it?
rjessome said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348.asp

Operational Bulletin 348 –
November 14, 2011

Elimination of Counterfoils for Approved Permanent Residence Applicants from Visa-Exempt Countries

Summary

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will no longer issue a counterfoil to applicants approved for permanent residence from visa exempt countries. All approved applicants will continue to be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document.

Background

Currently, all applicants approved for permanent residence, even from countries exempt from the Temporary Resident Visa requirement, are issued a counterfoil and seal in the passport that they are using for their initial travel to Canada to become a permanent resident.

Instructions

As of December 1, 2011, missions will no longer issue a counterfoil to applicants approved for permanent residence, if the “CNTRY OF ISS. OF TRAVEL DOC:” field on the COPR identifies a regular passport issued by the United States of America or a country identified in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations 190(1)(a) or (b) or 190(2)(b), (c), (d) or (e).

The Canada Border Services Agency's Border Services Officers (BSOs) and Migration Integrity Officers in Canada and abroad will be advised of this change. BSOs will continue to evaluate individuals at the Primary Inspection Line and determine which persons are immigrating to Canada and refer those new immigrants to Immigration secondary for finalization of permanent residence status. In cases where the new immigrant is not finalized at the port of entry as required, staff should advise the individual to contact the CIC Call Centre for options to correct their status in Canada. The Call Centre will continue to follow their current procedures when contacted by immigrants who require finalization of permanent residence status.

Charlamag

Aug 31, 2011
My spouse was an 'inlander' and landed in Ontario.

There was no wait for his PR card. He walked out of the immigration office and the paperwork was filled out immediately for his SIN. He left the office with paperwork indicating his SIN number. He landed 25 days ago and has already received the SIN card in the mail but no PR card. After landing, we took the PR document down to the location where health cards are issued and he had his photo and all the paperwork done there. That card is effective in 3 months from the date of landing.

In one day we completed the landing, got a SIN number and completed the process for the health card.

It was my understanding from the immigration officer, that once you have your PR paperwork, you can show it at any office to get your SIN number. The card will follow however, the number will allow you to begin the process of job hunting, opening bank accounts etc.