App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
I am gobsmacked.

My partner, applicant, received an email on Friday which stated:

"...Insufficient documentary evidence has been provided to support that your sponsor either currently resides in Canada or of their intention to resume residency in Canada should you be granted a permanent resident visa. As a result, I have concerns your sponsor does not meet the requirements to sponsor you..."

We were away for the weekend and I couldn't get on to ecas to check which address it says for me.

Thinking back through our communications with CIC, when we sent our application in December 2014, in it I stated I'd be moving back in August.
On August 8 2015 I used ecas to inform them of my new address in Canada.

In September my partner also emailed to say he was staying with me in Canada and could any mail be sent here. We received the usual automatic response from them.

I look on ecas today and my (the sponsor's) address shows.... my Canadian address.

I now have to provide all kinds of proof I am here and pay yet more money to post it back to the UK.

*sigh*
Jonesy

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If all you did in your original application was make a statement that you will be returning to Canada (and didn't provide any hard evidence to support that statement) - then it definitely makes sense and is expected that CIC is coming back to you now to ask for proof. Just send them what they have asked for as soon as you can and hopefully there won't be too many delays in processing.

yaozm

Feb 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 April 2015
Doc's Request.
None
File Transfer...
19 June 2015
Med's Done....
May 2015.
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
-waiting but terribly.
VISA ISSUED...
-Hopefully in the next few weeks
LANDED..........
-
Yes Just provide the evidence. And that should solve that problem.
If i read Correctly you stated you are now in Canada sent some long term commitments you have engaged into.
Telecommunication term contract
School registration
Sport /fitness membership
House lease contract
Etc be ceative.
Do not Panic.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
I don't think changing your address on ecas actually notifies anyone. I read about some people having the same problem as you, because while it was updated in ecas, the VO was not aware of that change.

I'd suggest you get all the proof that you are now in Canada, such as rental agreements, utility bills, bank statements, and passport stamps, and send it to the VO immediately.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
MilesAway said:
I don't think changing your address on ecas actually notifies anyone. I read about some people having the same problem as you, because while it was updated in ecas, the VO was not aware of that change.

I'd suggest you get all the proof that you are now in Canada, such as rental agreements, utility bills, bank statements, and passport stamps, and send it to the VO immediately.
You never know with CIC, but considering it says in the emails and letters that they send out to update address online if you have moved, it absolutely should be sufficient to follow those instructions.

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Thank you all.

In our December application I said we'd be moving back to Canada in August and had my friend send a notorised letter stating I was staying with her and she was going to help me get my business going again.

I have plenty of proof so I am not concerned about gathering it, just a bit deflated that it seems the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. There's no acknowledgement in their email that they've received any communication from us.

I understand that just because I've updated my address on ecas it doesn't necessarily mean that I am in Canada.

Ultimately what deflates me the most is that it's written in the usual government type no emotion speak - and I teach business writing for a living.

Thank you all again
Jonesy

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
Well you know what i think of CIC . Send your plane tickets also for you both and whatever you need .Good luck ...

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Just jump through the hoops they set out, there's literally nothing else you can do. Even when they(CIC) make an error the applicants are responsible for providing the "missing" facts, it's pretty annoying since it involves more delays.

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Thanks Taffy and Aquakitty!

Yes very annoying but we really have no choice do we?

Makes me wonder the types of people who apply for those jobs....

Jonesy

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Anyone can say they will move next "whenever".
Anyone can have a letter notarized.
Anyone can update ECAS with anything.

This is a typical "prove what you said" request. I'm surprised how many of you are all uptight over this.

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
truesmile said:
Anyone can say they will move next "whenever".
Anyone can have a letter notarized.
Anyone can update ECAS with anything.

This is a typical "prove what you said" request. I'm surprised how many of you are all uptight over this.
You're right about it's a 'prove what you said' request - they should make it clear that the sponsor needs to provide proof once he/she has moved back to Canada or once he/she has proof of the moving back date. The fact that this part was never made clear is another irritation. I am not uptight over the principle which I agree with; I abhor the tone the CIC takes in its written communications.
Jonesy

I am happy to comply with requests and fully understand the rationale but why on earth the need to not proviode this information upfront and to use the cold, stiff language of government speakbaffles the bejesus out of me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Jonesy319 said:
I am happy to comply with requests and fully understand the rationale but why on earth the need to not proviode this information upfront and to use the cold, stiff language of government speakbaffles the bejesus out of me.
I'll respectfully disagree on the comms front (I'm in the field as well). Form letters (like the ones CIC distributes) take no time to write and anyone can pretty much do it (take form letter, fill in blank of what you are missing, send to applicant, done). Well crafted communications are more time consuming and take experience. I would rather CIC focus resources on getting applications approved than writing warm and fuzzy personalized communications that make me feel good. The focus should be on expediting application processing.

Additionally, well crafted communications are most useful in situations were you are trying to convince someone of something, get buy in, etc. CIC doesn't need to do any of that when communicating with us. They just need to pass on a message that something they require is missing or a stage of processing has been completed - it's a pure inform. So IMHO the language they use is appropriate for the context.

I would actually freak out if I received a well crafted and emotional well-thought out letter from CIC (same goes for Revenue Canada). I would feel they are wasting time, resources and my tax payer dollars on something that doesn't need to be done. Anyway - that's my two cents...

Jonesy319

Star Member
Jul 28, 2014
Elstead, England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2014
AOR Received.
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
scylla said:
I'll respectfully disagree on the comms front (I'm in the field as well). Form letters (like the ones CIC distributes) take no time to write and anyone can pretty much do it (take form letter, fill in blank of what you are missing, send to applicant, done). Well crafted communications are more time consuming and take experience. I would rather CIC focus resources on getting applications approved than writing warm and fuzzy personalized communications that make me feel good. The focus should be on expediting application processing.

Additionally, well crafted communications are most useful in situations were you are trying to convince someone of something, get buy in, etc. CIC doesn't need to do any of that when communicating with us. They just need to pass on a message that something they require is missing or a stage of processing has been completed - it's a pure inform. So IMHO the language they use is appropriate for the context.

I would actually freak out if I received a well crafted and emotional well-thought out letter from CIC (same goes for Revenue Canada). I would feel they are wasting time, resources and my tax payer dollars on something that doesn't need to be done. Anyway - that's my two cents...
Ha ha love this - I disagree right back at you!

I never said anything about warm and fuzzy and I never said there was anything wrong with a form letter.

There's a HUGE difference between the rote turn of phrase used in many government and business documents and basic plain English.

Example of typical robot speak you'll see in written communications:
For those customers who do not participate in West Bank’s online banking program, and do not wish to consider doing so, West Bank will continue sending them statements by mail

This takes a lot longer to read, and digest, than the following which equally makes the point yet in a much clearer and simpler way:
If you prefer not to use our online banking program, we’ll continue mailing your statements to you

I've just delivered a four hour session on a combo of being professional and business writing and smashed the back doors off the myth that form letters need to sound like a robot has written them. There's also a study by a chap called Daniel Oppenheimer which proves why people write like this - it's to distance themselves from the content, and to make themselves sound more intelligent (Emperor's new clothes here as that does not work).

There's no reason the standard communications could not be written in clearer language, in my view.
Jonesy :)