+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC asks 4 year period record to my 3 years old child

Raincouver

Mar 17, 2014
I applied citizenship with my 3 years old son in this Jan. However CIC returned my documents under below 2 reasons,

1st. My son's photo was expired (just 2 days overdue when they opened my envelope). Actually, it was available when I sent it.

2nd. They said that my son's passport does not cover the 4 year period preceding the date of applicaton. My son is only 3 yeas old, how can I provide 4 years record.

I withdraw my son's application and resend my single application first. Per my understanding, the minor will not be considered residential time in Canada. What should I do for my son's application? Please help me..

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Raincouver said:
I applied citizenship with my 3 years old son in this Jan. However CIC returned my documents under below 2 reasons,

1st. My son's photo was expired (just 2 days overdue when they opened my envelope). Actually, it was available when I sent it.

2nd. They said that my son's passport does not cover the 4 year period preceding the date of applicaton. My son is only 3 yeas old, how can I provide 4 years record.

I withdraw my son's application and resend my single application first. Per my understanding, the minor will not be considered residential time in Canada. What should I do for my son's application? Please help me..
Please elaborate your 1st question "it was available when I sent"?

For your 3 years old son, please write a cover letter explaining that he is 3 years old and he can't have 4 years of record.

janoo

May 16, 2014
You just wait when you become Canadian your son will be become Canadian as long he
is age under 16 years so once you become Canadian just send your son application
with copy of your citizenship and he will become citizen instantly...

No issue just relax and follow/concentrate on your citizenship and

cedarjet

Star Member
Mar 13, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Please elaborate your 1st question "it was available when I sent"?

For your 3 years old son, please write a cover letter explaining that he is 3 years old and he can't have 4 years of record.
he means his son's photo was valid the day he sent it, but when they opened his file, it wasn't anymore.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
@ Raincouver please resend the application with new photos.

Also, when was your son born (month) and when was the passport issued (month)?

I suspect that there could be a difference between the date of the birth and date when the passport was issued and CIC is trying to figure out the date difference between the birth and passport issuance date.

If that's the case, an explanation letter needs to be submitted that your son is 3 years old and can't have 4 years of passport history and you also need to explain that the passport was never issued from birth date to xx date.

For Example:
Your son was born in 01 Feb, 2012 and passport was issued in 02, July 2012.

You should write an explanation letter that your son was born on 01 Feb, 2012 however the first passport was issued in 02 July, 2012. Also, it needs to be stated that From 01 Feb, 2012 to 01 July, 2012 your son did not have a passport.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Raincouver said:

If you had an explanation that a 4 yr prior to the date doesn't apply here (NA, may be...), the application should not have been returned.
Again, I was told at the first step, mail room staff open the application and probably they just follow a set of instructions that doesn't probably
include all possible scenarios. They have been probably instructed, " when in doubt abt if it meets criteria, JUST RETURN THE APP!", DO NOT USE COMMON SENSE or trouble any CO!!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
janoo said:
You just wait when you become Canadian your son will be become Canadian as long he
is age under 16 years so once you become Canadian just send your son application

The son will not become an instant Canadian just because an application has been sent in after the parent has become Canadian. Doesn't work that way. The son will still have to wait for Canadian citizenship application process to be completed first before becoming Canadian just like everyone else. The only exception to the rule is that the son does not have to write a test/say oath and meet the 3/4 residency requirement due to child being 3 years old.

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
janoo said:
just send your son application

"instantly"? Have you ever had to deal with CIC? The only thing CIC does "instantly" is take your hard earned cash.