+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC asking for Educational diploma/ degrees, but I din't claim any points for it

RoadtoCanada

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I got ITA under PNP class, and in the checklist I am being asked for Educational Diploma/ Degrees. The issue is that I didn't claim for education points and I don't have an ECA.
Can someone please confirm if someone similar to my case has just submitted regular degree/ diploma certificates and there case went through without any issues?

Thank you!

doobie.doobie

Apr 4, 2015
In your EE profile, if you have mentioned your foreign (non-Canadian) education degree/diploma, you need educational assesment ECA for it.
Its better to remove it because you have PNP which will give you enough points to clear the cutoff score.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
doobie.doobie said:
In your EE profile, if you have mentioned your foreign (non-Canadian) education degree/diploma, you need educational assesment ECA for it.
Its better to remove it because you have PNP which will give you enough points to clear the cutoff score.
doobie.doobie,

isn't it hiding non-ECA educational info. If the info is provided but the system is not awarding points for non-ECA education then why CIC would ask for ECA? It doesn't make any sense to me.
In my case, I have a canadian masters degree for which I am getting points but my wife has a non-canadian bachelors and we don't need ECA or points for that so how can I hide this info? Its very disturbing

doobie.doobie

Apr 4, 2015
se7en said:
doobie.doobie,

isn't it hiding non-ECA educational info. If the info is provided but the system is not awarding points for non-ECA education then why CIC would ask for ECA? It doesn't make any sense to me.
In my case, I have a canadian masters degree for which I am getting points but my wife has a non-canadian bachelors and we don't need ECA or points for that so how can I hide this info? Its very disturbing
It is funny but when you show your education you get points. It doesn't matter if you want it.
The other way I have seen is that you are allowed to update your profile once you get ITA. Even if it changes your score, but remember you must not fall below the cutoff. However, it can be risky.
And yes you are not hiding if you don't want to show points.
Other route, is getting ECA which will take minimum 1 month, if you have all the papers ready to go.
Good Luck!

RoadtoCanada

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for the information! The funny part is I didn't get a single point for education, so why do I have to submit educational documents anyways. I am thinking of submitting my regular degree certificate but just want to be sure if anyone else has done the same.

john1818

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RoadtoCanada said:
Thank you for the information! The funny part is I didn't get a single point for education, so why do I have to submit educational documents anyways. I am thinking of submitting my regular degree certificate but just want to be sure if anyone else has done the same.
Two questions: Under Education history, what is the level of education you have selected: Two year program at a university, college, trade etc or Two or more certificates, diploma or degrees. Second question: what have you selected under ECA section. I am guessing you have selected "No" since you have mentioned you haven't claimed the points for Foreign education.

Has ---(you)--- had an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) within the past five years for this degree, diploma or certificate? (It must have been from an agency approved by CIC.)

This is copy pasted from Express Entry profile:

To get the correct number of points, make sure you choose the answer that best reflects your case. For example:
If you have TWO Bachelor’s degrees, or one Bachelor’s AND a two year college diploma, choose - "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years."
If you did not earn a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you may need to have your foreign education assessed by an organization designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. The Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report must show that your foreign education is valid, and equal to a completed Canadian credential.

If you did not earn a Canadian diploma or certificate, you may need to have your foreign education assessed by an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They must show that it is valid, and equal to a completed Canadian credential.

RoadtoCanada

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a bachelor's degree and I have selected 'No' for ECA and that's why I got zero point..Why don't CIC give clear instructions.. :mad: :mad:
The issue with ECA is, I don't have required documents here in Canada and no one back home can help me with it :(

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
RoadtoCanada said:
I have a bachelor's degree and I have selected 'No' for ECA and that's why I got zero point..Why don't CIC give clear instructions.. :mad: :mad:
The issue with ECA is, I don't have required documents here in Canada and no one back home can help me with it :(
My friend, I would advise you to submit your bachelor and include a brief letter, mention you didn't get the ECA because you are already getting max points for your Canadian masters degree.

I am gonna provide my non- ECA bachelor, high school and secondary school info and would do the same letter if they requested to see the degrees.

john1818

Star Member
Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RoadtoCanada said:
How about level of education. Have you just selected masters degree or two or more degree with one being three year?

raich

Aug 24, 2016
I have received my ECA report today and it mentioned as below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Master's degree

CREDENTIAL ANALYSIS
1. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Bachelor of Computer Applications
Year: 2003
Awarded by: Bangalore University
Institution Status: Recognized
Major/Specialization: Computer Applications
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

2. Credential Authentication: Official transcripts were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Master of Science
Year: 2008
Awarded by: University of East London
Institution Status: Recognized
Major/Specialization: Information Technology
Canadian Equivalency: Master's degree

Question is, can i claim for 23 point and what will be my CRS point for it?

Dedicated

Aug 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
doobie.doobie said:
But is not it mandatory to get the ECA report for only your highest non-Canadian degree?
I believe all the others can be listed in your EE profile with no ECA report, can't they?

raich

Aug 24, 2016
Thank u so much for your quick reply... I have one more question actually 3
1. After submit my file can i update my wife's ECA report. The reason i was asking is that, I was waiting for my ECA report, so far its positive that is why I will go for my Wife's ECA which is not started so far. it may take another 1 month .. so can i submit my file now and update ECA report once get it. Is it possible?
2. I have 5 years of experience... But 2+ exp have proper documentation ... previous company not responding positively but keep trying ... so currently if i count 2 years experience then will get 68 point ... so was thinking to file now and if i gt rest 3 years experience document will update later. is it Possible?
3. reference letter from my current company, how old that can be? I mean to say i have to mention that still i am working with date.. hope understandable

Dedicated

Aug 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dan_and said:
But you are correct - CIC only needs your highest degree evaluated. And even that is only required if you are applying under FSW. CEC does not have any education requirement whatsoever, and neither does FST.
Thanks for confirming that. So in case you receive an ITA, you submit you evaluated degree along with the ECA report, and all the others (translated) with no ECA report?

raich

Aug 24, 2016
what r ITA selection factors?

Age -12 pts
Language -17 pts
Adaptability -5 pts (Own sister staying ON as a PA status for last 4 years)
Work Experience -11 pts (claiming for 2 years now) ... 3 years Might add Later (13
pts) NOC Code 2171 (Skill Level A)
Education -23 pts (3 year BCA+1 Year Master+1 year Canadian Education)

Total 68 pts