+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIBC GIC is better

atif ali

Star Member
May 12, 2016
What?! That is wrong. They give about 6 days to send the money. Call them and send email. It does not make any sense
ok. I sent email and got reply to ignore the date of expiry and send the money to cibc. I sent the money to cibc a couple of days before and wondering how long it will take further to get acknowledge from CIBC. and another thing. where I will get gic received. is it on email or in the app?

atif ali

Star Member
May 12, 2016
GUYS. ANYONE KNOWS HOW LONG CIBC NEED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE RECEIPT OF MONEY DEPOSIT FOR GIC FROM PAKISTAN.?

Anand1333

Oct 6, 2021
Will there be any issue in paying gic amount on friday as saturday is bank holiday.
If I submit application for opening account on thursday then will I get instruction letter on friday, if I didn't get instruction letter on Friday then payment can be made only on Monday and deadline will be Thursday. Will this cause any issue in receiving money at cibc before Thursday.
Or is it recommended to pay on monday by submitting application on Saturday, then instruction letter on Sunday, payment on Monday and deadline Saturday

yesWeCanada

Aug 5, 2021
Will there be any issue in paying gic amount on friday as saturday is bank holiday.
If I submit application for opening account on thursday then will I get instruction letter on friday, if I didn't get instruction letter on Friday then payment can be made only on Monday and deadline will be Thursday. Will this cause any issue in receiving money at cibc before Thursday.
Or is it recommended to pay on monday by submitting application on Saturday, then instruction letter on Sunday, payment on Monday and deadline Saturday
Either of the options is good. Just make sure you are well inside GIC deadline. Also if you choose inr as currency then they will give you Indian bank account to deposit into. So that can be done even if bank is closed or not, IMPS RTGS etc.

Reactions: Anand1333

Aafil19

Oct 1, 2021
Hello,
I was curious whether to choose INR or CAD, since choosing CAD would be technically cheaper. However, I do not have a bank account that has been active for more than 6 months. Also, would I be able to use a third party like flywire?

tshwe

Mar 17, 2022
I missed to add CIBC before the account number and my amount is credited to different beneficiary. Has it happened with anyone and what should i expect next? Do i need to take any actions? As of CIBC said they are tracking this internally.

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
I missed to add CIBC before the account number and my amount is credited to different beneficiary. Has it happened with anyone and what should i expect next? Do i need to take any actions? As of CIBC said they are tracking this internally.
Don't thing this can happen as every key information like account number and account title should match similar to conventional banking norms.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
For those who are choosing CIBC, beware that there are some really incompetent people working at this bank who will give you a taste of how pathetic a bank could be. I had opted for the student deposit program and not GIC since mine was non SDS. When I activated my account at a CIBC branch here in Canada, the rep assigned to me opened a GIC, even though my welcome letter clearly stated that it was a student deposit a/c and not GIC. So instead of being able to access the entire amount which I had transferred in escrow, CAD 8K was put on hold. My mouth ran dry arguing while the rep and then another colleague of hers tried justifying how it was 'just procedure' and how it was not their fault. I had to finally get the branch manager involved to get the GIC cancelled by the following day so I could access the funds.

I thought it was all sorted but about two weeks later, I saw that another hold had been placed on my funds! It took another round of phone calls and a flurry of emails to get the hold removed. Apparently this time, it was some overenthusiastic chump in their back office who assumed that I should have a GIC and put a hold on my funds.

Now would you believe me if I told you that I had my account blocked, and on this occasion it was not a partial hold but my entire account was FROZEN, yes FOR THE THIRD TIME CIBC HAD MANAGED TO SCREW THINGS UP for me!!! Apparently the activation form that I had signed on the first day was never even sent to their back office and CIBC just froze my account without even telling me!! How did I know this? Well I was shopping for groceries and my card just declined and I had to leave all my shopping behind and come out. I had to visit the branch once again to sign the same form twice and this time it was another rep who did a lot of sweet talking to convince me that it was all unintentional.

Apparently all banks in Canada can be equally incompetent and I suspect they take people who are on a temp residence visa for granted for obvious reasons. So if you are going to be using CIBC, know that there are a lot of incompetent people working there and make sure of all the details in any transaction you make with them. Assume that things can go wrong and once they do, it can keep going wrong until they harass the wits out of you.

May 23, 2022
how many days it took from starting like applying for gic account online with cibc to get gic certificate please reply i am running out of time. scotiabank rejected my funds 2 times due to silly mistakes of indian bank.
Hi,

I have been facing the same issues with Scotiabank. Are you planning to open an account in CIBC and close the one you have in Scotiabank ?

Idk2

May 19, 2022
Hi,

I have been facing the same issues with Scotiabank. Are you planning to open an account in CIBC and close the one you have in Scotiabank ?
Hey
I opened my bank account in Scotia bank for my GIC but they rejected my wire transfer due to a minor mistake. After the rejection I applied at CIBC and got my GIC within a day after they received my money. I still have not received my refund from Scotia bank. Their service is horrendous. I would advice you to open an account at CIBC

Dweep

Oct 3, 2022
Category........
STUDY
Hello everyone . i will do rtgs from my own name. the problem is the my account i will use have account number asssume x but the account number i used while registering account on cibc was y. both are same bank by the way. will it give problem?

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
For those who are choosing CIBC, beware that there are some really incompetent people working at this bank who will give you a taste of how pathetic a bank could be. I had opted for the student deposit program and not GIC since mine was non SDS. When I activated my account at a CIBC branch here in Canada, the rep assigned to me opened a GIC, even though my welcome letter clearly stated that it was a student deposit a/c and not GIC. So instead of being able to access the entire amount which I had transferred in escrow, CAD 8K was put on hold. My mouth ran dry arguing while the rep and then another colleague of hers tried justifying how it was 'just procedure' and how it was not their fault. I had to finally get the branch manager involved to get the GIC cancelled by the following day so I could access the funds.

I thought it was all sorted but about two weeks later, I saw that another hold had been placed on my funds! It took another round of phone calls and a flurry of emails to get the hold removed. Apparently this time, it was some overenthusiastic chump in their back office who assumed that I should have a GIC and put a hold on my funds.

Now would you believe me if I told you that I had my account blocked, and on this occasion it was not a partial hold but my entire account was FROZEN, yes FOR THE THIRD TIME CIBC HAD MANAGED TO SCREW THINGS UP for me!!! Apparently the activation form that I had signed on the first day was never even sent to their back office and CIBC just froze my account without even telling me!! How did I know this? Well I was shopping for groceries and my card just declined and I had to leave all my shopping behind and come out. I had to visit the branch once again to sign the same form twice and this time it was another rep who did a lot of sweet talking to convince me that it was all unintentional.

Apparently all banks in Canada can be equally incompetent and I suspect they take people who are on a temp residence visa for granted for obvious reasons. So if you are going to be using CIBC, know that there are a lot of incompetent people working there and make sure of all the details in any transaction you make with them. Assume that things can go wrong and once they do, it can keep going wrong until they harass the wits out of you.
Having been here for nearly 4 years, I can tell you that they all suck in their own way. Those who recommend one over another are definitely looking out for their own interest.