Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Interesting replies from both canadianwoman and rjessome. Thanks for taking the time.

I always thought that Divorce Law was federal, and so its application did not vary from province to province. Federal Divorce law was revised on the mid-eighties to reduce expensive court time. But maybe the lawyers have found a way to complicate the issue again, and keep their billable hours up?

A divorce requires a decision on alimony, child support and the division of assets.

If one spouse left a good career to raise a family, that would certainly enter into a calculation of alimony – how much, for how long. But divorce was also supposed to be “no fault”, so the reasons for breaking up (including abuse) were not to be considered.

Regarding child support, originally it was supposed to provide the basic necessities, and anything above that amount was to be at the discretion of the parent. However, court decisions show that the income of the richer spouse does indeed influence how much child support he or she must pay, so evidently the Court has decided to impose specific amounts.

This is my understanding of federal Divorce Law, and I have not been able to find any legislative revisions.

Now we come to my confusion and question (still not completely answered) about how the home is treated in the division of assets. The process was supposed to be quick and easy.

1) Add up all assets on the day of legal separation, without speculating on what the future might bring (it did not matter that a stock portfolio might increase later; so might the house; both cold as easily rise or decline in value; the Court was not to get into the business of guessing the future.) Note that the house is included in this amount.

2) Add up the assets brought into the marriage.
Note that the house is excluded from this amount, no matter who paid for it..

3) Subtract (2) from (1); the remainder was considered “communal property”, and was to be divided equally between the ex-spouses.

Clearly, if overall assets at separation are higher than at marriage, then the poorer spouse effectively gets half the house.

Example: Let’s assume that the poorer spouse has nothing, to simplify the example. At marriage the richer spouse has a house worth $100 and other assets worth $200. “Personal” assets are valued at $200, not $300 since the house is not included. At separation the house is worth $150, but the other assets (e.g. stock portfolio) have declined to $25. Total assets at separation are $200, exactly the same as at marriage (this time the house is included).

Some feel that the poorer spouse gets half the house (value $75) regardless of what happened to the other assets of the richer spouse. Canadianwoman believes this, and her sister who works on a law office confirmed this understanding. However, I am not completely sure the question got asked clearly. Remember the party game where one person whispers a message into another person’s ear, that person whispers it into a third person’s ear, and so on until the final person announces the message to everyone? The end message was usually completely different from the initial message.

A lawyer who specializes in divorce and Wills once told me that because the total assets had not increased in value, there was no “communal property” to divide, and that the poorer spouse did not automatically get half the house. This makes sense at face value because IF the house were going to be divided regardless of what happened to the rich spouse’s other assets, why include the house in the calculation of total assets? Just make the house a separate calculation: get a value as of separation day and divide by two. Simple.

The reason I keep digging at this is that another lawyer answered the question differently (but I wasn’t there to hear how the question was phrased) , and so the uncertainty continues. I’ll consult the sources rjessome recommended, and report back if anyone is interested.

I realize that this is not an appropriate topic for people full of the optimism of getting married and moving to a new country. So this is just for knowledge, nothing more.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
toby said:
A lawyer who specializes in divorce and Wills once told me that because the total assets had not increased in value, there was no “communal property” to divide, and that the poorer spouse did not automatically get half the house.
I agree there is no communal property to divide, but there is still the house. At divorce, the communal property is one thing, and the house is another. I think the poorer spouse gets half the house because it is the matrimonial home, but nothing else - because there was no increase in value of the other investments.
However, the poorer spouse does not automatically get half the house. If the marriage only lasted 45 days, she/he won't get it. If it was just a marriage of convenience, and the foreign spouse didn't even live with her/his sponsor, he/she won't get it. The poorer spouse gets half the house if the marriage has lasted for some time. I think the law is open to interpretation on this point, and there are a lot of conflicting cases.

Since I am going through the long process of sponsoring my husband right now, when I asked my sister her reaction was "OMG! Why are you asking me this?!!!"

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is an interesting topic considering we have all gone through or are going through family class!! LOL!

I used to be a legal assistant in a family law practice MANY years ago and must admit that some of my knowledge is outdated! So you led me to do some research because things change especially the LAW! Here is what I learned that, in come cases, disagrees with some of my earlier assertations about property division and agrees more with canadianwoman:

The Divorce Act does not deal with sharing your property or debts. Each province and territory has its own law that sets out the rules for dividing the property and debts you and your spouse have. Don't forget that DEBTS are also factored into determination of asset division. They divide the debts too. They also take into account non-monetary contributions to the household like raising children, managing the household, etc. as all of these have value. One of the main goals is to not let either party suffer from economic hardship as a result of the breakdown of the marriage.

In some provinces and territories, if you wait too long after your separation or divorce to make a claim, you may lose all your rights to share in family property or spousal support.

Child support is governed by the Federal Child Support Guidelines. Who pays child support depends on the child's residential arrangements. The basic amount is based on three things: the payor's income; the number of children involved; and the province or territory where the payor lives. Check here: http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/fcy-fea/lib-bib/pub/guide/index.html

In some circumstances, the base amount can be increased or decreased. For example, the amount could be adjusted if the children have special expenses, such as childcare. The amount could also be adjusted to prevent financial hardship for a parent or the children. This might be fair when, for example, the parent paying the child support is suffering a hardship—perhaps because that parent is supporting a new family and has a lower standard of living than the parent receiving the child support.

Divorce is not always no-fault. But property division is not based on who did what that contributed to ending the marriage NOR does it prevent anyone from obtaining a divorce if they want it. However, if you are filing a divorce claiming cruelty (mental/physical) and/or adultrey, you must be able to prove it.

I would suggest researching property division in the province where the parties live do get a better idea about how it would be divided. Hope this is not personal for you! Good luck.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Good points, both of you, and no I am not asking for personal reasons. I did go through a divorce (which Robin Williams described as her reaching up through my entrails and grabbing my wallet; he might have added that the lawyer makes sure the process is acrimonious to increase billable hours), but that is in the past, and I harbour no resentment -- much. ::)

--