+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Choosing a career after moving to Canada?

Noah999

Aug 19, 2019
Hello all,

I'm new here. I'm planning to move to Canada and my wife will be the primary applicant as she can score about 479 points for express entry. I think as per the past cutoffs, we will have a good chance of getting PR. However I'm a little concerned about finding work in Canada. I know almost everyone who migrate must be having this problem but I need your kind advice about few specific things.

I'm a lawyer by profession. I started a BSc after finishing high school as I was always passionate about Information Technology and Physics. The BSc primarily consisted of those two areas. At the same time I was selected to law school and therefore, I followed both courses parallelly. However, after about 2 years, I had to give up my BSc due to some personal commitments so I couldn't finish it. After finishing law school, I started practicing as a lawyer.

As a lawyer, I won't be allowed to practice in Canada until I do some exams and get a licence to practice in Canada. It will take at least 18 months.

I would really appreciate it if you could advice me on the following;

1. BEFORE obtaining a licence to practice in Canada, what kind of jobs will I be able to get with my foreign (law related) qualification and experience? (Maybe paralegal jobs?
)

2. If I am to change my careers, and to start afresh in Information Technology field for example, what are your suggestions for me to increase my chances of finding a job in the IT field? (I'm still passionate about this field and I have a good knowledge as well. I did freelancing work (related to IT) online to put myself through law school. But I don't possess any formal qualifications)

3. Regarding the 2nd question above, will following IT courses/doing freelancing work related to IT to gain experience be helpful? (Because I have seen many people saying that the Canadian employers do not give much importance to foreign qualifications/experience)

Thanks in adavce