+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Choice of neighbourhood

S abhishek

Star Member
Jan 19, 2018
We are a family of 4 (2 Adults & 2 Kids) from India and shifting to Toronto. Our work place will be in the University Avenue.

Would like to get suggestions on neighborhoods connected by MRTS to the office area with average cost of living.

Also some ideas on rentals and cost of living will help immensely.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How much are you willing to spend per month for accommodations? This will largely dictate what neighbourhoods are possible.

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We are a family of 4 (2 Adults & 2 Kids) from India and shifting to Toronto. Our work place will be in the University Avenue.

Would like to get suggestions on neighborhoods connected by MRTS to the office area with average cost of living.

Also some ideas on rentals and cost of living will help immensely.
Congrats on your pending move to Toronto - it is a beautiful city!

Depending on the age of your kids, please be mindful that Toronto is currently undergoing tight childcare options - meaning there isn't space in day cares or after-school centres, etc. I'm not sure how old your kids are but if both adults are working then daycare availability and child care should be one of your top considerations before anything else.

Second thing is that rentals in Toronto are quite expensive (in the downtown core near University Avenue you're looking at $2000/month plus utilities for a 1 bedroom condo). With a family of 4, in most cases, the landlord will refuse letting you live in a 1-bedroom apartment.

You may want to consider Brampton and Mississauga which are less expensive in terms of living costs. In Brampton, I just got my clients a 2-bedroom rental for $1750/month (utilities included), which is walking distance from a huge bus hub with connectivity within Brampton, to Mississauga, and to Toronto. In Mississauga, similar accommodation will be in the $2100/month range for a 2-bedroom condo, also with connectivity to Toronto.

GO trains run from Brampton & Mississauga to Toronto Union Station (which should be walking distance or 3-5 minutes subway ride from your workplace at University Avenue).

There are also cheaper options available like basement rentals in homes, but with kids in the family I do not recommend these; kids should have access to lots of natural light, etc. and that is not always possible in basement apartments.

You should choose something based on your personal preferences, kids' ages, exact place of work, commute time, budget, etc. There is no right answer here, as each family and their requirements are completely unique. I can talk through all these options with you if you'd like - same as I do for all my clients - to help them make an informed decision and take their first few steps in the right direction when starting their new life in a new country.

Good luck!

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks Anushree! We are staying at a condo in Mississauga.
Hi,

How much are you paying for the same and where in Mississauga, if I may ask.

Also, can you help out with your real estate broker pls.

I am also searching in Mississauga, but not able to find anything.

Thanks