+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children?

theirishhoser

Jan 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there. My wife and I are thinking of applying for her PR. I was born in Canada and have lived in Belfast for 12 years. My (UK citizen) wife and I have been married for four years and we have two children. I applied for my eldest's citizenship a year ago so his should be sorted by the time we arrive (giving ourselves a year from when we decide to go for it). However, I doubt my youngest's child Canadian citizenship would have arrived by the time we move. Would this be a problem?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
theirishhoser said:
Hi there. My wife and I are thinking of applying for her PR. I was born in Canada and have lived in Belfast for 12 years. My (UK citizen) wife and I have been married for four years and we have two children. I applied for my eldest's citizenship a year ago so his should be sorted by the time we arrive (giving ourselves a year from when we decide to go for it). However, I doubt my youngest's child Canadian citizenship would have arrived by the time we move. Would this be a problem?
If you are a Canadian (and you are) your children are already citizens, they just need Canadian Passports.

jo-macral

Mar 25, 2012
Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore<br />Pain & Suffering: 07-12-2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-12-2012
File Transfer...
21-12-2012
Med's Done....
06-11-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26-05-2014<br />Re-med Req...: 26-05-2014<br />Passport Sent.: 30-06-2014<br />Decision Made: 25-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-08-2014
LANDED..........
Tickets booked for September, 2014
... and you can get a temporary Canadian passport for your children before they get their citizenship cards. The embassy should take care of this for you if you have sufficient proof.

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
parker24 said:
If you are a Canadian (and you are) your children are already citizens, they just need Canadian Passports.
We have 3 kids that were born in the US to my husband(American) and myself( a Canadian) We applied for our children's Canadian Citizenship certificates and it took 4 months for them to be sent to us. I was wondering though if we need to apply for their Canadian passports now? We have their US ones and I though that having their US ones and their Canadian certificates would be more then enough for our move in April. What do you all think? If I have to apply for their Canadian passports I need to get that done this week so that we have them for the move. Will we have trouble getting all moved up to Canada if we don't get their Canadian passports before the move?? Thanks!! Also their is an option to not put their birth place on their Canadian passports... I was thinking this might be a smart idea due to the fact that I have been in the US without papers and I want to be able to travel with them back to to US after we move up to Canada... any thoughts on that one?

theirishhoser

Jan 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jo-macral said:
... and you can get a temporary Canadian passport for your children before they get their citizenship cards. The embassy should take care of this for you if you have sufficient proof.
Cheers for that and for all your replies. Also, I applied for my son's citizenship on November 2011. I haven't heard anything since they returned his and my birth certificates. I emailed the embassy in London and they told me since it wasn't 15 months I shouldn't worry. Also, when I check online I can't find any record of it. This happen to anyone else?

shronak

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel-Aviv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
3-12-2012
File Transfer...
5-12-2012
Passport Req..
21-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-02-2013
LANDED..........
Hopfully 21-03-2013
theirishhoser said:
Cheers for that and for all your replies. Also, I applied for my son's citizenship on November 2011. I haven't heard anything since they returned his and my birth certificates. I emailed the embassy in London and they told me since it wasn't 15 months I shouldn't worry. Also, when I check online I can't find any record of it. This happen to anyone else?
When I applied for the Canadian citizenship of my kids, it was the same. Nothing from the time I dropped of the papers until I got the citizenship cards by mail, I also checked the on-line, but nothing.
My embassy is in Tel-Aviv, which has a better processing time I think, and as I recall it took 4-5 months.
I advise you to also request citizenship for your youngest, since you were born in Canada the change in 2009 doesn't apply and he should be eligible.
After you have the citizenship cards, you can apply for passports, which is much faster. especially if you tell them that you plan a trip.

Good luck,
Sharona

theirishhoser

Jan 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's a funny coincidence. Out of the blue this morning, I got an email from the Canadian embassy in London saying that my son's file was being looked at by a case processing officer.