+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children of study permit holder

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Here is the situation, relayed to me second-hand: A study permit holder is here in Canada with her three minor children. They are eligible to attend elementary school (assuming schools re-open in September) without a study permit due to their mother having a study permit which is valid until May 2021. They received a multi-entry visitor visa which is valid until 2024, but my understanding is despite that, visitors can only stay for six months at a time. Therefore, do the children each need to apply to extend their stay in Canada (IMM 5708)? Or does the fact that their mother possesses a valid study permit exempt them from having to do this? Are these applications even being processed during the pandemic? Any guidance would be appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Here is the situation, relayed to me second-hand: A study permit holder is here in Canada with her three minor children. They are eligible to attend elementary school (assuming schools re-open in September) without a study permit due to their mother having a study permit which is valid until May 2021. They received a multi-entry visitor visa which is valid until 2024, but my understanding is despite that, visitors can only stay for six months at a time. Therefore, do the children each need to apply to extend their stay in Canada (IMM 5708)? Or does the fact that their mother possesses a valid study permit exempt them from having to do this? Are these applications even being processed during the pandemic? Any guidance would be appreciated.
When they entered Canada was there a date written on their visitor record or not date? No date and they will have to extend after 6 months. They should ask for the expiry to match their mother’s study permit expiry date. There mother must be attending school not just have a study permit.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
The length of stay is decided by the border officer when you arrive

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
When they entered Canada was there a date written on their visitor record or not date? No date and they will have to extend after 6 months. They should ask for the expiry to match their mother’s study permit expiry date. There mother must be attending school not just have a study permit.
Thanks. I have asked the person who told me about this to inquire if there is an expiry date.