+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children born outside of Canada

easydubzit

Mar 11, 2009
I heard that there will be (or currently is) a new law concerning children born to a single Canadian parent outside of Canada, which states that if the child is born to a Canadian father only he is not automatically a Canadian citizen but must file for citizenship instead of being granted automatically a Canadian citizenship (as it should be).

Has anyone heard anything about this or know where I can find information on this.

I am Canadian and am married to a Korean, we are pregnant with our second baby and heard about this new law and wonder if we should have the baby in Canada so we don't have to go through the hassle that this new law would supposedly bring.

Please help me and shed some light on this issue.

Thank you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is a link to the new law: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules-citizenship.asp I can not see anything there about kids not getting citizenship. What you will need to do for the baby is apply for a citizenship card at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif2.asp It will take 13-14 months according to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp if you apply from overseas. If you apply from Canada, 10 months. If you want to take your baby to Canada in the meantime, you should be able to get him/her a temporary passport at the embassy or a Korean passport to travel if that is easier.

As for having the baby in Canada, is your wife a PR? Because if she is not a PR, you are probably too late to get her a PR before the baby is born in which case she will not be covered by health care in Canada and you will have to pay an arm and a leg in hospital bills :-/

easydubzit

Mar 11, 2009
Thank you so much Leon, you really are a Hero member!!!

Just to be clear, i was born in Canada so even though my baby is born outside of Canada, he/she will be a Canadian citizen?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, your baby will be a Canadian citizen by birth but will not be able to pass on citizenship to his/her children if they are born outside Canada (that is if this law is still in effect by then). However, if they would ever decide to move to Canada, they would be able to sponsor their spouse and kids for PR and later get them citizenship. I think the purpose of this law is to prevent citizenship being passed down many generations without people having any ties to Canada anymore.

ArmanEugenio

May 8, 2009
Goodday to all!

I am just new at this forum and I would like to clarify some issues concerning my mother's citizen stands on this new law. so here it goes and I hope to see feedback pls. thanks!

My grandmother is a pure canadian who is married to my filipino grandfather who settled in the philippines from 1940's until the early part of the 80's, then she came back to canada. My mother is a filipino citizen by birth and by this new law, I want to know what is the position of my mother on this. I hope somebody on this forum can clear this for me.

I want to know also what do we need to do if ever there is a chance for my mom to qualify for the citizenship. Thanks alot!

oh! my mom was born 1948.

Godbless to all.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There were a lot of people who gained citizenship with the new law. Your mother might be one of them. She should contact the embassy to find out.

ArmanEugenio

May 8, 2009
thanks for the reply. really appreciate it.

In contacting the embassy I guess they do not allow walk in. So, may i ask whats the proper procedure on how we can address the embassy on my moms issue?

truedeath1

Aug 18, 2011
My wife is Canadian PR. We got married outside Canada and she gave birth of our child outside Canada.
Can she apply for me and my son from outside Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truedeath1 said:
My wife is Canadian PR. We got married outside Canada and she gave birth of our child outside Canada.
Can she apply for me and my son from outside Canada?
No, as a PR, she must be in Canada to be able to sponsor you. Also keep in mind that in order to meet the residency requirements to keep her PR, she can not be outside Canada for more than 1095 days in her first 5 years as a PR or any 5 year period after that.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ easydubzit

Leon is not a Hero Member nor is he a Jero member he is a VIP member :p

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
@ easydubzit

Leon is not a Hero Member nor is he a Jero member he is a VIP member :p
I guess on April 1, 2009, I was a Hero Member so I figure you will be a VIP member in about 2 years but what will I be then, I don't know :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
truedeath1 said:
how will i calculate the 5 years period? from landing date??? she landed on 7 th january 2008.
From landing date for the first 5 years and any rolling 5 year period after that. Since she has been a PR for less than 5 years, the first task is to meet the residency requirements in the period of January 7th 2008 - January 7th 2013.