20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
And then the current PM ran a campaign on the equality of citizenship. Of course, It might be the case that some Canadians are more equal than others, I guess.
"A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian" mantra would require Trudeau to remove "spying" and "citizenship fraud" from the list since the mantra implies "once citizenship is granted, it cannot be stripped" until canadian officially renounced it.

Trudeau only ran campaign on removing terrorism from the list and still keeping "spying" and "citizenship fraud" in place. If he is truly running on equality of citizenship, he would have no choice but to remove all abilities of stripping of citizenship.

Good luck with that.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:
"A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian" would require Trudeau to remove "spying" and "citizenship fraud" from the list since the implies "once citizenship is granted, it cannot be stripped" until canadian officially renounced it.

Trudeau only ran campaign on removing terrorism from the list and still keeping "spying" and "citizenship fraud" in place. If he is truly running on equality of citizenship, he would have no choice but to remove all abilities of stripping of citizenship.

Good luck with that.
Are they not proposing doing away with the power to strip citizenship based on spying convictions (along with terrorism)? As for citizenship fraud, if one is convicted of obtaining citizenship by fraud, there isn't a legitimate citizenship to take away in the first place, its as if it never existed, so that is a bit of a red herring here, I think. Nobody seriously proposes doing away with that, but that authority should only exist after a criminal conviction, where the charges have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, I think.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
Are they not proposing doing away with the power to strip citizenship based on spying convictions (along with terrorism)? As for citizenship fraud, if one is convicted of obtaining citizenship by fraud, there isn't a legitimate citizenship to take away in the first place, its as if it never existed, so that is a bit of a red herring here, I think. Nobody seriously proposes doing away with that, but that authority should only exist after a criminal conviction, where the charges have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt, I think.
There was no campaigning to remove spying conviction from the list. Only terrorism, with spying and citizenship fraud in place as it was before 2009 law.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
:'(
mwabu1976 said:
The easy solution to this is to have your kids born in Canada.

So, people can live outside Canada and just come back to Canada to give birth. In that case, it is clear that the 2009 law is not serving its purpose.

The goal of the 2009 is not to have the citizen transferred from generation to the next if they are not having ties to Canada. However, if we get specific to the case that is mentioned in the Globe & Mail in the first post, we can see that the 2009 law is not working because that family has ties with Canada and they left Canada to work for only 4 years in the US. Why their son which was born in that time end up in different situation than his brother who was born in Canada when the family came back.???

I know many people that loved to stay in Canada and never leave but being jobless for years is a reason that force them to leave.

I'm Civil engineer, I work where ever there is construction projects. If the construction company got a construction job in the US, then I move to the US. once the project is finished, I move to the next project which can be in US, Canada or any where. So, does my job cut my ties to Canada?

It is clear .. The 2009 law needs to be fixed and improved. We want citizens that are loyal to our Canada but we don't want to heart our loyal citizens in the same time.
Right, I don't know if there is a policy solution that preserves the equality of citizenship, while meeting the policy goal of assuring Canadian citizens have at least some ties to Canada, but there is no reason why the siblings in this case should be differently situated under the law AND the one with fewer rights can do nothing to rectify it. Certainly, allowing a Canadian by descent the ability to pass on citizenship after they have spent some time in Canada as a resident is reasonable, isn't it? The UK has such provisions. Still, that falls short of the pledge that "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian."

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:
There was no campaigning to remove spying conviction from the list. Only terrorism, with spying and citizenship fraud in place as it was before 2009 law.
Are you sure?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Having Swiss citizenship myself I checked and there is the same issue: So Canada is not the only one..

A Swiss citizen born abroad to at least one Swiss parent and holding at least one other nationality loses Swiss citizenship at age 22 if:

They have never been announced to the Swiss authorities, or
They have never written to the Swiss authorities expressing their desire to retain Swiss citizenship, or
They (or their guardians) have never sought to procure Swiss identity documents for them, i.e. a passport or an identity card.
Equally, the child of a person who thus loses Swiss nationality equally loses Swiss nationality. Exceptionally, a person who has been prevented, against their will, from taking the necessary actions to retain Swiss citizenship may undertake the required actions within a delay of 1 year following the cessation of such delays.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
foodie69 said:
Having Swiss citizenship myself I checked and there is the same issue: So Canada is not the only one..
I know Germany has similar things with dual for children who are born in Germany to PR's who've been in Germany a certain number of years. At a certain age, they will have to choose. However, these rules are so new that nobody had to choose yet. Prior to these rules, babies of PR's did not get citizenship there at all.

Some of the Scandinavian countries also had similar rules about dual children, only allowing one citizenship and making kids choose at a certain age. I knew two brothers whose father was Danish and they were in that situation and nobody actually told them about it. They found out by chance while they were both within the age limit though.

Some Scandinavian countries have since changed their rules and allow dual citizenship or at least in some cases.

Coffee1981

Star Member
Jun 29, 2016
screech339 said:
I'm sorry... you DON'T think people who got their citizenship by fraud should have it taken away??? That's ridiculous. If anyone can just lie and cheat and get their citizenship, what value does it have? Wouldn't it make you angry that you did everything properly and did your time and whatnot; only to have some dude pay a consultant to fake living here and get the same result? That's just ridiculous.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Coffee1981 said:
I'm sorry... you DON'T think people who got their citizenship by fraud should have it taken away??? That's ridiculous. If anyone can just lie and cheat and get their citizenship, what value does it have? Wouldn't it make you angry that you did everything properly and did your time and whatnot; only to have some dude pay a consultant to fake living here and get the same result? That's just ridiculous.
Pretty sure Screech would strip citizenship from people who can't remember the words to O Canada in both English and French if he could. Hey Screech, just joking! :p

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Coffee1981 said:
Hey I agree that citizenship should be taken if obtained by fraud. But the "A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian" mantra according to links18 implies once citizenship is obtained, it is written in stone. Can never take it away. Just showing how silly it sounds over and over. Its just gets old really quick.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
Pretty sure Screech would strip citizenship from people who can't remember the words to O Canada in both English and French if he could. Hey Screech, just joking! :p
Ha ha ha. Funny. Nice ribbing there.

There is probably a huge truth in that not a lot of Canadians that don't know the whole lyrics. Only maybe the first two lines. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Canadians born / 2nd generation would probably not pass the citizenship tests or have a much lower score than those who studied for the test.

It is rather sad that it has come to that. Where's the pride in their citizenship? Where their knowledge of Canadian history? I blame a lot on the school education system that think Canadian history is not that important for politically incorrect reasons.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
screech339 said:

There is probably a hugh truth in that not a lot of Canadians that don't know the whole lyrics. Only maybe the first two lines.
Not even a citizen but I know this :

O canada
Our home on native land

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
TheAwesomeMatt said:
Not even a citizen but I know this :

O canada
Our home on native land
Not sure if this was meant in jest, or if TheAwesomeMatt was being serious and got the line wrong.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
screech339 said:

There is probably a huge truth in that not a lot of Canadians that don't know the whole lyrics. Only maybe the first two lines. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Canadians born / 2nd generation would probably not pass the citizenship tests or have a much lower score than those who studied for the test.

It is rather sad that it has come to that. Where's the pride in their citizenship? Where their knowledge of Canadian history? I blame a lot on the school education system that think Canadian history is not that important for politically incorrect reasons.
Well, I agree with you there....