+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

children as dependants?

Farah1305

May 29, 2018
Hello,

Apologies for the double post today. I just had another question that I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

background:
Canadian wife
British Husband
1 child - born in the UK with a UK passport

Does our daughter count as a dependant even though she is entitled to Canadian citizenship through me? I am sending in her papers at the same time as my husbands,

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello,

Apologies for the double post today. I just had another question that I was hoping someone might be able to answer.

background:
Canadian wife
British Husband
1 child - born in the UK with a UK passport

Does our daughter count as a dependant even though she is entitled to Canadian citizenship through me? I am sending in her papers at the same time as my husbands,
If you the Canadian parent was born abroad to a Canadian parent.........your child born in the UK is NOT a Canadian citizen (1st generation limit).........and should be added as a dependant in your sponsorship application.

If you the Canadian parent became a Canadian citizen by birth or naturalization.......your child born in the UK is a Canadian citizen.........A Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored and cannot be issued a visa.........you will have to apply for the child proof of Canadian Citizenship..........you cannot add a Canadian citizen to your spousal sponsorship..........so your Canadian child cannot be included as a dependant in any of the sponsorship application forms, except IMM5406.

Last edited:

Farah1305

May 29, 2018
If you the Canadian parent was born abroad to a Canadian parent.........your child born in the UK is NOT a Canadian citizen (1st generation limit).........and should be added as a dependant in your sponsorship application.

If you the Canadian parent became a Canadian citizen by birth or naturalization.......your child born in the UK is a Canadian citizen.........A Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored and cannot be issued a visa.........you will have to apply for the child proof of Canadian Citizenship..........you cannot add a Canadian citizen to your spousal sponsorship..........so your Canadian child cannot be included as a dependant in any of the sponsorship application forms, except IMM5406.
Thank you very much. I am a Canadian born citizen - so she is automatically a citizen.