+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Childbirth in canada after softlanding

Amysaa

Mar 4, 2019
Hi,

We did a soft landing, and our PR cards are with our relative. We are planning to visit there via applying PRTD We cannot settle right away because of my PhD thesis defense which is scheduled this year. We are expecting a baby, and we have decided to go for childbirth in Canada. We want this to avoid the PR sponsorship and TRV related issues for the newborn. Now we have following questions for which we would appreciate the answers. Thank you so much in advance.

1) We need to know the timeline for the following for the newborn in Canada,
a) Birth certificate
b) Canadian Passport
2) What is the procedure for getting birth certificate and canadian passport for a child born to Canadian PRs in canada?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
So you did a soft landing, left, and now want to return to have a baby, and leave again ? You missed out one thing. Have you looked at the possible residency restrictions on obtaining health care coverage for the birth or were you going to pay cash yourself for the delivery of your child if you don't meet the rules? What province are you going to be in ?
I would probably be doing some homework to see what you are exactly eligible for

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/health-care-system/canada-health-care-system-medicare/provincial-territorial-health-care-resources.html

Other question I just googled

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/children/documents-submit.html

Last edited:

Amysaa

Mar 4, 2019
Thank you so much for this information. Let's just say I am not worried about childbirth costs. I am not sure of the exact situation. We might even decide to move this time. What we are sure of is that we want the child to be born in Canada and we want to raise our children in Canada. That being said, the major concern is to be able to manage the delivery and then being able to timely complete the formalities such as birth certificate and passport of the newborn just in case we still have some pending issues to deal with back home.

Amysaa

Mar 4, 2019
So you did a soft landing, left, and now want to return to have a baby, and leave again ? You missed out one thing. Have you looked at the possible residency restrictions on obtaining health care coverage for the birth or were you going to pay cash yourself for the delivery of your child if you don't meet the rules? What province are you going to be in ?
I would probably be doing some homework to see what you are exactly eligible for

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/health-care-system/canada-health-care-system-medicare/provincial-territorial-health-care-resources.html

Other question I just googled

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/children/documents-submit.html
Thank you so much for your continued interest in this case. I appreciate it, however I am looking to hear from people who have been through these processes.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Birth certificates are done provincially , Passports Federally .
You can’t apply for the passport without the birth certificate
So you’d have to use the above links , choose the province , then see time frames
Once received go thru Federal route for passport processing

Amysaa

Mar 4, 2019
I want to thank Copingwithlife with great insights. However if anyone went through the processes, can give more details, such as how much time it may take, and what are the formalities and procedures in detail, that would be very useful.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for this information. Let's just say I am not worried about childbirth costs. I am not sure of the exact situation. We might even decide to move this time. What we are sure of is that we want the child to be born in Canada and we want to raise our children in Canada. That being said, the major concern is to be able to manage the delivery and then being able to timely complete the formalities such as birth certificate and passport of the newborn just in case we still have some pending issues to deal with back home.
You aren't sure of the exact situation but are going to do it anyways? That is ridiculous. Costs should be your biggest consideration. If the are complications and you don't have health coverage, you could end up with a bill for a million dollars.

Amysaa

Mar 4, 2019
You aren't sure of the exact situation but are going to do it anyways? That is ridiculous. Costs should be your biggest consideration. If the are complications and you don't have health coverage, you could end up with a bill for a million dollars.
Wow. A Million dollars. That's scary. I hope that's metaphorical, isn't it?
I have seen some other pages in the same forum stating a cost of normal delivery to be within 10k cad. C'serian were higher, but never came across this huge number. I need information, and I am asking for it in a forum. I do have insurance coverage worldwide via my employer. That is why I am concerned to know more, in case I cannot resign right away, I will have to go back. In that case insurance already there. So, do you still think, I should worry about the costs?
I just checked through the links provided by copingwithlife, I cannot get the health coverage right away, so it might be better to use the employer health insurance?
I really appreciate if you be patient with me and answer that question.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have seen some other pages in the same forum stating a cost of normal delivery to be within 10k cad. C'serian were higher, but never came across this huge number. I need information, and I am asking for it in a forum. I do have insurance coverage worldwide via my employer. That is why I am concerned to know more, in case I cannot resign right away, I will have to go back. In that case insurance already there. Now If at that time I really can move I intend to go for Alberta where I intend to settle. This way, I am hoping to get covered from day one. So, do you still think, I should worry about the costs?
No, not metaphorical.

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/birth-and-dash-richmond-hospital-owed-1-2-million-for-skipped-neonatal-bill-1.23333820

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-baby-costs-aussie-couple-1m-1.1197529

If you actually settle in Alberta, it will be covered. If you go there, get coverage, give birth and leave, the province could come after you to repay all costs.

Reactions: Amysaa

Amysaa

Mar 4, 2019
No, not metaphorical.

https://www.richmond-news.com/news/birth-and-dash-richmond-hospital-owed-1-2-million-for-skipped-neonatal-bill-1.23333820

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-baby-costs-aussie-couple-1m-1.1197529

If you actually settle in Alberta, it will be covered. If you go there, get coverage, give birth and leave, the province could come after you to repay all costs.
I intend to settle in Alberta, but the website mentioned that if you are coming from a different province there may be a waiting period. So as per my circumstances, would I still have to wait?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I have seen some other pages in the same forum stating a cost of normal delivery to be within 10k cad. C'serian were higher, but never came across this huge number. I need information, and I am asking for it in a forum. I do have insurance coverage worldwide via my employer. That is why I am concerned to know more, in case I cannot resign right away, I will have to go back. In that case insurance already there. So, do you still think, I should worry about the costs?
I just checked through the links provided by copingwithlife, I cannot get the health coverage right away, so it might be better to use the employer health insurance?
No, healthcare is expensive in Canada. The 10k CAD scenario is a best-case scenario; if there are any complications (and I hope that there are none and you have a healthy and happy delivery. I just had a child a few months ago and I know how stressful it can be), you can easily be looking at tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in health care costs.

The best thing for you is to go through Alberta's rules around this kind of thing. You can try contacting them as you may well be eligible.

https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-eligibility.aspx
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-moving-to-alberta.aspx
https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip-contact.aspx

----

Moving from outside Canada
If you are moving, immigrating, or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you might be eligible for coverage from the date establish residency in Alberta.

You must apply within 3 months of establishing residency and provide all the required documents.

If your AHCIP application is not received within 3 months of when you arrive and establish permanent residency in Alberta, the effective date of your coverage will be determined when your application is processed. Learn how to apply for AHCIP.

If you have an immigration document from Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada, you might be eligible for AHCIP coverage. Your eligibility depends on:

• the type of entry document you have
  • any restrictions listed on the document
  • the length of time allowed in Canada
  • your commitment to live in Alberta for 12 consecutive months
A Canada Travel Visa is not an accepted document.

Dated entry stamp
In some cases, an eligible resident's spouse/partner or dependent from another country might be eligible for AHCIP coverage if they have a dated entry stamp on their passport. The Canada Border Security Agency does not automatically stamp and date passports. Request a dated stamp at the time of entr

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
You may also want to check with the airline if you are okay to fly especially if you are flying closer towards your due date .
Also for employer benefits, do check if the worldwide insurance only covers emergency travel and medical assistance?
Typically benefit providers only support local child birth costs.
Also keep in mind that employer insurance are benefits i.e your employer pays for it(ie if you make a claim for 100$ it is paid by the employer and not the insurance company) . The insurance company only administers the claims and take a small % as admin fee. Smaller employers insure, because they do not want to take the risk .
So if you have a complication (hopefully not) and if the insurer doesn't cover it, the employer has to approve for it to be covered.
So depending on the bill, the employer can take that call!