+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child with disabilities

JoannaSz

Nov 1, 2012
Hello,
I think to move to Canada with my family in next two years. I have 6 years old son and 3,5 daughter.
We are Polish, living in Ireland 5 years.
My son has Asperger syndrome.
I heard about two families which to lived in Canada and when they try to receive citizenship they need to back to their country, because of their special needs daughter.
Is something changes?
How can I be sure that we will stay in Canada, and my child receive citizenship as well?
I couldn't believe that such huge country can still discriminate children with disabilities and all their families.
Is any Law which can protect us when we arrive to Canada?
Thank you,
Joanna

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The information you have is not entirely correct.

You must become a permanent resident of Canada before you can become a citizen.

To become a permanent resident of Canada, your entire family will have to pass a medical exam. Your entire family must pass the medical exam in order to obtain permanent residency. If even one family member fails the medical exam, you will all be refused.

The medical exam will assess if anyone in the family will create an excessive demand on the Canadian health care system and social services. Depending on the severity of the Aspergers, this can be a reason for refusal. If CIC plans to refuse your file for this reason, you will receive a letter that will give you the opportunity to try to prove that your child will not be a burden on health care system and social services. Based on your response, CIC will then either approve or refuse your file.

If you are successful in obtaining permanent residency, then your family will have no issues obtaining citizenship.

JoannaSz

Nov 1, 2012
So if we try to come to Canada for Skilled worker and receive visa, then we receive citizenship after few year and passed exam, and they cannot refuse our claim for citizenship then?
our son is ok, he goes to normal school and he didn't need any special help in school yet. We know that from first class he receives one hour per day help. We also finished speech and language therapy and he speaks English and Polish very well.
He can had problem with contact with other kids in new class on the beginning and I think he will needs some help from his teacher.
He is also waiting for psychology therapy. Everything else is like normal child (sometimes he doesn't understand what people try to say, he understands everything very clearly. Have some emotions problem, but is in good condition now).
In the future he needs a help with his emotions - psychology, it's really hard to say now.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Be forewarned, most healthcare doesn't cover psychologist. Here in Alberta, the only way you can get mental health services covered is if your family belongs to a doctor's group and refers you to a therapist in his own group. It will be a licensed counselor, not a psychologist or other doctor.

If you feel Canada's policies are so discriminatory, then don't move here. The healthcare limits have nothing to do with discrimination and everything to do with maintaining affordable healthcare for everyone.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
JoannaSz said:
So if we try to come to Canada for Skilled worker and receive visa, then we receive citizenship after few year and passed exam, and they cannot refuse our claim for citizenship then?
our son is ok, he goes to normal school and he didn't need any special help in school yet. We know that from first class he receives one hour per day help. We also finished speech and language therapy and he speaks English and Polish very well.
He can had problem with contact with other kids in new class on the beginning and I think he will needs some help from his teacher.
He is also waiting for psychology therapy. Everything else is like normal child (sometimes he doesn't understand what people try to say, he understands everything very clearly. Have some emotions problem, but is in good condition now).
In the future he needs a help with his emotions - psychology, it's really hard to say now.
To be accepted as skilled workers, you will all have to pass the medical. This is where the refusal could occur. If your skilled worker visa is approved - then there will be no barriers to citizenship.

JoannaSz

Nov 1, 2012
Thank you for all answers.
I can pay for therapy or psychologist myself, that not a problem.
Just would like to find better and safer place to live with my kids and husband.

I have also a question about medical exam? How it is look like and what test are done, what questions they ask?
Thank you,
Joanna