+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child tax benifit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If she is canadian citizen how she sponser from backhome?
She dont have job since 9 month she dont have house for live. She just survive thete just for child support in that case he can apply for spouse sponser with out any income?
He tried to inform CRA And told them my wife is not here we live seperate and she live backhome out of canada but they said we are not able to speak abt you untill ur wife is not giving us permission.
Thats not a good rule i think.
Guy dont want to stop the benefits causr he have kids and he dont want to give hard time to his kids.
But if she is not informing CRV there will be a trouble for her in future?
How CRA knows and ask the benifits payback with plenty?
For sponsership i think she come here first and apply for spouse sponser to arrange some job and house for live what u think???
Since they are married he could end up having to pay back the benefits plus a penalty. He should only be calling to say his children are out of the country and say he is divorced if he doesn't want to be responsible for paying back the child benefit from that point. His wife will have to show how she can support her husband without welfare to get spousal sponsorship approval.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like this is actually your marriage. You need to move on and worry about your own situation. If you are married while your children are out of the country you're going to have to pay back the child benefit as well with the penalty. It is your responsibility to inform CRA that your children are not in the country. Child tax benefit is not given to pay living expenses in foreign countries.

rafat shah

Jun 6, 2011
Seems like this is actually your marriage. You need to move on and worry about your own situation. If you are married while your children are out of the country you're going to have to pay back the child benefit as well with the penalty. It is your responsibility to inform CRA that your children are not in the country. Child tax benefit is not given to pay living expenses in foreign countries.
No this is not my matter.
I m just worried abt my friend.
I understand all issues and what should he do in this point. Thanks alot for ur time and suggestions.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
His wife went back home pakistan since jan 2018. And still there but now husband knows from some sources that his wife got 2nd marriage without filing divorce here in canada. And she filed the KHULLA (Divorce) in pakistan. In canada the both parties status is married and not file the divorce.
Out of curiosity:
Do the authorities/courts in Pakistan not have to serve the divorce petition on the husband who lives abroad? This would otherwise incorrectly seem like ex parté proceedings.

To my knowledge, a divorce obtained abroad must be legally valid in Canada as well. One of the conditions is that the person applying for a divorce in the country abroad should have been staying in that country for one year before starting the divorce proceedings.... for the courts of that country to have the jurisdiction to hear the merits of the divorce matter.

In this case, your friend's wife moved to Pakistan in January 2018 i.e. she does not meet the requirements for this divorce to be legally valid in Canada.... and further for her to sponsor a new husband. It could seem like she has committed bigamy.

I would recommend your friend seeks legal advice on this matter + he could file a counter-divorce case in Canada if required

rafat shah

Jun 6, 2011
Out of curiosity:
Do the authorities/courts in Pakistan not have to serve the divorce petition on the husband who lives abroad? This would otherwise incorrectly seem like ex parté proceedings.

To my knowledge, a divorce obtained abroad must be legally valid in Canada as well. One of the conditions is that the person applying for a divorce in the country abroad should have been staying in that country for one year before starting the divorce proceedings.... for the courts of that country to have the jurisdiction to hear the merits of the divorce matter.

In this case, your friend's wife moved to Pakistan in January 2018 i.e. she does not meet the requirements for this divorce to be legally valid in Canada.... and further for her to sponsor a new husband. It could seem like she has committed bigamy.

I would recommend your friend seeks legal advice on this matter + he could file a counter-divorce case in Canada if required
Thanks for ur time and reply as well.
I heared this before someome told me abt this cause she applied divorce there but in between she came here 2 or 3 times ( canada)
Last time she left in jan 2018. she suppose to be stay there in pakistan atleast 1 year physically then she is allow to do any divorce.