+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Tax Benefits...Application

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Dear all

I have 2 kids... landed in may 16 with family and got PR and left immediately. No tax returns and no benefits claimed.

Now ill be arriving again oct-dec 18.....In May 2019 will arrive with family permanently.

I will hence be considered resident for tax purpose for 2019 year n kids will be also there for over 6 months...

Q1) When should i apply for CCTB .?
I wish to start receiving it Jan 19

Q2) Should i file null tax return for 2018 also even though not tax resident for '18 ?

Am i even allowed to file return if not tax resident for '18 ?
Or no need since im establishing new ties for 2019. But CCTB calculation is based on previous year income..so ?

Q3) Also date of filing of tax return is April 19...so what about cctb for Jan 19 onwards...will i get them before my first return is filed also for backdates ?

thanks..çonfused about link between filing of tax return for particular year and cctb benefits .

thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all

I have 2 kids... landed in may 16 with family and got PR and left immediately. No tax returns and no benefits claimed.

Now ill be arriving again oct-dec 18.....In May 2019 will arrive with family permanently.

I will hence be considered resident for tax purpose for 2019 year n kids will be also there for over 6 months...

Q2) Should i file null tax return for 2018 also even though not tax resident for '18 ?

Or no need since im establishing new ties for 2019. But CCTB calculation is based on previous year income..so ?

Q3) Also date of filing of tax return is April 19...so what about cctb for Jan 19 onwards...will i get them before my first return is filed also for backdates ?

thanks..çonfused about link between filing of tax return for particular year and cctb benefits .

thanks
1. You can only apply when you children move to Canada on a permanent basis which looks like May 2019 for your family.
2. No you don't have to file taxes foe 2018.]
3. You don't qualify for CTB until your children move to Canada so May 2019. Application is separate than tax return or payment.You will be required to submit information regarding your previous international income.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear all

thanks
1 and 3. You do not qualify for the benefit when your children aren't even in your care in Canada. You can apply when they get here.

2. When you apply for the benefit, you will be required to declare your worldwide family income. Benefit from May-June 2019 will be based on your 2017 income. Benefit from July 2019 onwards will be based on your 2018 income.

Reactions: YVR123

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
1 and 3. You do not qualify for the benefit when your children aren't even in your care in Canada. You can apply when they get here.

2. When you apply for the benefit, you will be required to declare your worldwide family income. Benefit from May-June 2019 will be based on your 2017 income. Benefit from July 2019 onwards will be based on your 2018 income.
Thanks.. you guys are really amazing..the help that you provide with your invaluable advice.

I just want to clarify.....
Q1) You mentioned benefits from may to june '19 will be based on 2017 foreign income
Tax year in my country is july to june so that would be july 2017 to june 2018 return ?
Q2) Benefits from july ' 19 onwards will be from which tax year and referencing canadian or foreign income ?
if its worldwide income how do i synchronize the two since tax perios are not similar ? thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks.. you guys are really amazing..the help that you provide with your invaluable advice.

I just want to clarify.....
Q1) You mentioned benefits from may to june '19 will be based on 2017 foreign income
Tax year in my country is july to june so that would be july 2017 to june 2018 return ?
Q2) Benefits from july ' 19 onwards will be from which tax year and referencing canadian or foreign income ?
if its worldwide income how do i synchronize the two since tax perios are not similar ? thanks
1. You would need to calculate your income for the calendar year 2017.

2. All income in the calendar year 2018.

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Ok so I can claim CCTB starting may 19...despite not filing tax in canada (cause i was non resident for tax purpose) .... for calender years '17 and '18 ?

But I will have to share my foreign income detail for those years '17 and '18 with CRA ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok so I can claim CCTB starting may 19...despite not filing tax in canada (cause i was non resident for tax purpose) .... for calender years '17 and '18 ?

But I will have to share my foreign income detail for those years '17 and '18 with CRA ?
Yes as long as your children arrive in May 2019.

Prats6

Aug 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
4th April 2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Dear all

Q3) Also date of filing of tax return is April 19...so what about cctb for Jan 19 onwards...will i get them before my first return is filed also for backdates
You can file back taxes. Ideally, you should too. You would start getting Benefits only when spouse and children are in Canada.
You cannot wish when to start receiving it. From people who've applied, they tell be takes about 2-3 months after application for it to begin ( if all docs are in order). Sometimes CRA would send you a clarification letter too.
IMPORTANT - DO NOT DEPEND ON IT.