Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
already in Canada
Hello Guys, I am little confused about the situation, my son was born on April 24th, 2018 and we(my wife and son) are planning to visit back home for 5 weeks in Aug'2018. I dont have enough vacation so I decided to go on Parental leave. I wonder what should I do when I go for this time period? As I will be getting child benefit on that period along with EI parental benefit. My wife doesnt work and she is a house wife. I read for the Parental leave that I am eligible to receive while I am outside of the country but I am not sure about the child benefit. Please clarify.

Lal2

Jun 13, 2018
if some one can help one of my friend child was out of Canada but she was receiving the CCTB but some one report about her and they stop the Benefit and they ask for supporting denouements she send supporting documents but some or false and if they found they r false documents what will happen or plenty

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
if some one can help one of my friend child was out of Canada but she was receiving the CCTB but some one report about her and they stop the Benefit and they ask for supporting denouements she send supporting documents but some or false and if they found they r false documents what will happen or plenty
Don't do it. Don't lie to the CRA. She will be committing fraud and will likely have to repay a much larger sum and can get in a lot of trouble. Say that it was an accident and pay back the money you falsely received. The CRA will get it back one way or another.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well done on the person who reported her fraud. Hopefully she is busted for her fraud documents and has to pay massive penalties.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Well done on the person who reported her fraud. Hopefully she is busted for her fraud documents and has to pay massive penalties.
Benefit thieves are dime a dozen here in Toronto- hope they learn to respect the system rather than abuse it.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Providing fake document (forgery) while she is already being investigated is not very smart. Committing fraud is a serious crime. (criminal offense)

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
List of situations that will happen because your friend committed fraud :

1. CRA will ask your friend to repay all the CCTB including penalties
2. CRA will start audit on your friend going back 2 to 5 years back and they will need to see bank statements, T slips and proof of residency for the years been audited
3. CRA may or may not pursue legal prosecution against your friend and she will be charged criminally and face the crown for proceedings

Wait4life

Star Member
May 26, 2018
Hi,

I was minor when i went back to my country. Child benefit(maybe 5-6 cheques) are later sent to my family by my uncle. My family used those cheques in my home country. If i return to Canada now, will they ask me anything about this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I was minor when i went back to my country. Child benefit(maybe 5-6 cheques) are later sent to my family by my uncle. My family used those cheques in my home country. If i return to Canada now, will they ask me anything about this?
They shouldn't. Your parents were the ones who received benefits they were not entitled to. If your parents would like to eventually return to Canada it could be an issue.

WinPeg

Nov 8, 2018
I'm not sure but I'm going to confirm it with CRA before we leave Canada. I'm leaving Canada together with my kids and live permanently in different country. We have dual citizenship which allow us to live between the two countries permanently. My husband will stay in Canada to work while we are living in different country which makes us a factual resident of Canada-meaning we still have main ties in Canada which is my husband. And that I think , makes my children eligible for CCTB as long as I'll file my taxes every year in Canada. But then,there's a tax treaty to be considered and if the children should be in Canada to be eligible.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm not sure but I'm going to confirm it with CRA before we leave Canada. I'm leaving Canada together with my kids and live permanently in different country. We have dual citizenship which allow us to live between the two countries permanently. My husband will stay in Canada to work while we are living in different country which makes us a factual resident of Canada-meaning we still have main ties in Canada which is my husband. And that I think , makes my children eligible for CCTB as long as I'll file my taxes every year in Canada. But then,there's a tax treaty to be considered and if the children should be in Canada to be eligible.
CRA will have to determine whether you qualify. This is one of those cases where it is not 100% clear.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
If your kids aren't physically in Canada with your husband, then you do not qualify for the CCTB. There is zero ambiguity in that...it is crystal clear.

Reactions: YVR123

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The same question is repeated over and over. If someone has ANY inkling if they are or they are not eligible for this benefit, contact the CRA. Everyone pays into the system, saying I have paid into the system, or even worse stating " I am a citizen", then systematically use that as an excuse to claim benefits for which they are not entitled, well when the CRA does a audit, they really have no reason to complain when enforcement action is initiated. And using the excuse I cannot get hold of anyone at the CRA, is not a valid excuse. If you cannot get hold of anyone, then do what people used to do, WRITE a letter to them, and get a response that way. Then you actually have something in your hand saying you are eligible or not.
i paid into the EI system for years, why did I do that? Because if I do not have to use the system, someone in dire straights will be able. I lost my job after 27 years, only eligible for 4 weeks of EI. due to the amount of severance I received. During those 4 weeks I did one day of training, no paper trail. on this money. I could have just pocketed the money, and not claim in on my benefits. Would that have been honest ? No.
I could not get hold of someone at the EI benefits, so I sent them a letter stating please adjust my payment from EI according to how much I got paid for that one day. EI sent me a invoice for the amount I overpaid. It was not difficult.
People who try to game the system have no else to blame but them selves when the CRA gets them in their cross hairs.
The excuse I am a citizen, or I paid into the system is NO justification for benefit abuse, its lame and reeks of self entitlement.

Reactions: torontosm

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If your kids aren't physically in Canada with your husband, then you do not qualify for the CCTB. There is zero ambiguity in that...it is crystal clear.
Technically if they both pay taxes they may fit the requirement but in actuality in cases where the children live abroad CCTB is usually not awarded. That is why it is easier to say let CRA decide.