+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child tax benefit outside of Canada?

Saggitarius

Sep 29, 2006
Hello everybody,I 'd like to ask one question, who knows, please, answer me: I have an infanat , 4 month old, born in Canada. I plan in 2 months go overseas , out of Canada with my baby. Am I eligible to recieve the child tax benefit for my child in other country- outside of Canada??
Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Saggitarius said:
Hello everybody,I 'd like to ask one question, who knows, please, answer me: I have an infanat , 4 month old, born in Canada. I plan in 2 months go overseas , out of Canada with my baby. Am I eligible to recieve the child tax benefit for my child in other country- outside of Canada??
Thanks.
Nope, you must be resident in Canada.

"4. Can I get the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)?
To get the CCTB, you must meet all the following conditions:

* you must live with the child, and the child must be under the age of 18;
* you must be the person who is primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child;
o This means you are responsible for such things as supervising the child's daily activities and needs, making sure the child's medical needs are met, and arranging for child care when necessary. If there is a female parent who lives with the child, we usually consider her to be this person. However, it could be the father, a grandparent, or a guardian.
* you must be a resident of Canada; and
* you or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months.

PMM

Saggitarius

Sep 29, 2006
Thanks! Forgot to tell, that, I have permanent resident visa/status. My husband is canadian citizen. Does it make any sence??
Thanks...;

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Saggitarius said:
Thanks! Forgot to tell, that, I have permanent resident visa/status. My husband is canadian citizen. Does it make any sence??
Thanks...;
Nope, you have to be Resident in Canada.

PMM

myname

Apr 22, 2012
I am not sure about the answer given by PMM.
It is true what PMM says about having to be a resident of Canada. However, what defines someone to be a resident of Canada.

Based on what I found;

Residency - Individuals

Under Canada's tax system, your liability for income tax in Canada is based on your status as a resident or non-resident of Canada. Your residence status must be established before your tax liability to Canada can be determined.

A determination of residence status can only be made after all the factors have been considered. Your circumstances have to be reviewed in their entirety to get an accurate picture of your residence status.

The residential ties you have or establish in Canada are a major factor in determining residence status. Residential ties to Canada can include:

a home in Canada;
a spouse or common-law partner (see the definition in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide) or dependants in Canada;
personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture;
social ties in Canada; and
economic ties in Canada.

Other ties that may be relevant include:

a Canadian driver's licence;
Canadian bank accounts or credit cards; and
health insurance with a Canadian province or territory.

Residential ties that you maintain or establish in another country may also be relevant to residence status.

khalid h

Jan 21, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad.....UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09 July 09
Doc's Request.
11 Sep 09
Nomination.....
05 Jan 2010
AOR Received.
20th Jan 2010
IELTS Request
7 sent with docs
File Transfer...
30th June 2010
Med's Request
1st May 2012
Med's Done....
21st May 2012
Interview........
No please
Passport Req..
PPR1-18th July, PPR2- 17th August
VISA ISSUED...
5th Sept 2012
LANDED..........
17th October 2012 inshAllah
PMM said:
Hi

Nope, you have to be Resident in Canada.

PMM
What if someone is going out of canada for few months only, during that period ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To figure out what constitutes a vacation vs. leaving for longer, you could just inform CRA that you are leaving and for how long you expect to be gone and they will decide if to stop the payments. Then you will not be in trouble for continuing to receive something you shouldn't have.

marie261986

Mar 11, 2013
Hi I am receiving childtax benefit of my 2 daughter's and they are canadian citizen, I have permanent residence card here and my husband is canadian citizen, We are currently leaving in Canada right now, my question's are if I have a plan to stay outside Canada for a year, can I still recive a child tax benefit there through my direct deposit bank account?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
marie261986 said:
Hi I am receiving childtax benefit of my 2 daughter's and they are canadian citizen, I have permanent residence card here and my husband is canadian citizen, We are currently leaving in Canada right now, my question's are if I have a plan to stay outside Canada for a year, can I still recive a child tax benefit there through my direct deposit bank account?
No - you can't. You must declare that you are leaving Canada so that the payments can be stopped. If you don't, the Canadian government will likely find out at some point in the future and go after you for the funds you receives that you were not entitled to.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

torontosm said:
If you are not living in Canada or paying taxes in Canada, why do you want to receive benefits from Canada?
Because they think it is "free" money.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Perhaps because they have paid taxes in previous years and if eligible for it why not?

torontosm said:
If you are not living in Canada or paying taxes in Canada, why do you want to receive benefits from Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SenoritaBella said:
Perhaps because they have paid taxes in previous years and if eligible for it why not?
They are not eligible if they aren't living in Canada.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
SenoritaBella said:
Senorita, you missed my point. If they are not living in Canada, they are not Residents of Canada and are therefore not eligible for the Child Tax Benefit. If they somehow do maintain residency in Canada to be eligible (as you stated), then they should also be paying income tax in Canada. You can't have it both ways, and perhaps you should consider not putting such foolish and illegal ideas in peoples heads.