+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child tax benefit for

Sam.som

May 25, 2018
Hello,
I came to Canada on April 2017, now I am a convention refugee, so I applied for child tax benefit and expected to receive the amounts for last year too. But CRA making the payments from coming months and doesn’t include the last 12 months.
I want to know if should I get the payments since the month I came to canada and applied for refugee claim? Or I just get the CCTB from the day that I am a convention refugee?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes it is only from the day you got accepted. Your children also must be living with you in Canada. Given that your child has not status in Canada and is only a visitor I am not sure what will happen.

Sam.som

May 25, 2018
Thanks for your answers, Although I am still not sure because I m certain that previously (about 2 years ago) refugees supposed to received it since the day they made their claim.. but I don’t have any idea about new rules.
I think I should call to CRA on Monday, and will let you know their response.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Until your claim is accepted, you do not have either refugee status or temporary status in Canada and are not eligible for the benefit. Even if you thought you had temporary status you wouldn’t be eligible to apply until you were here 18 months, so you would be eligible anyway. Even if your children were born in Canada and you were a refugee claimant, you still wouldn’t be eligible. That’s just the way it is. And they only provide backpay in situations where you didnt apply until after you were eligible.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/immigration/2018/02/13/refugee-claimants-challenge-federal-government-over-denial-of-child-benefit.html

Are you eligible?
To be eligible for the Canada child benefit (CCB), you must meet all of the following conditions:

• You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
  • You must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.
  • You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes.
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:
    • a Canadian citizen
    • a permanent resident
    • a protected person
    • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
    • an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html