+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Tax Benefit - Father Citizen Mother awaiting PR

Kayodan

Jul 12, 2016
Hello everybody,

We recently had a baby and were wondering about the Child Tax Benefit. Can I apply as the father while my wife is waiting for her Permanent Residency? She has been in Canada 1 year but did not work or file for 2016.

If not, can she apply retroactively when she receives her P.R?

Thanks in advance

New Father

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Hello everybody,

We recently had a baby and were wondering about the Child Tax Benefit. Can I apply as the father while my wife is waiting for her Permanent Residency? She has been in Canada 1 year but did not work or file for 2016.

If not, can she apply retroactively when she receives her P.R?

Thanks in advance

New Father
Both child tax benefit(CCTB) and universal child care benefit(UCCB) have been replaced by non taxable Child care benefit(CCB) as of 2016.

Here's the part this gets a little bit complicated. If you and your wife are living together and your wife is the primary care giver, then CRA recommends wife applies for CCB. I checked the eligibility (https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits.html), which does not say clearly whether the applicant has to be a PR or citizen. So your wife can possible apply, but a tax return is a pre requisite. CCB can definitely be paid retroactively upto 10 years.

Best course of action would to create a CRA profile and initiate the process online. It will clearly say whether you can apply or not, it will also clearly tell you what documents and applications need to be sent by mail...

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I assume that the baby was born in Canada?
Father should apply, just attach a note that you are primarily responsible for the child and your wife is awaiting PR. You both sign the note.

lgtaylor1992

Jan 11, 2018
HI Kayodan,

We are in the same boat. My husband works here, and I don't and am waiting on paperwork. Was your family able to claim the CCB for your child under you?

kimanhle

Aug 10, 2018
Dear Team,

I am under family sponsor inside canada class. I got the working permit this month.
I have my own daughter (with my ex, husband) she is 9 years olds.
Can I apply CBC (Canada child care) as my current husband is Canada citizen? or I have to wait until PR arpproval?
Looking forward to hear you advise.

Thanks alot