+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Tax Benefit Arrears.

inky1969

Nov 18, 2012
Dear all,
I landed in Canada in April 2010 with my family as permanent residents. My family resided in a rented apartment in Toronto. I received Canada child tax benefits for my three kids until I left Canada in March 2012.
I did not arrange an address to receive my mail nor did inform the authorities that I am leaving Canada. How ever when I made a short visit to Canada in 2013 I arranged one of my friend's address in Canada to receive my mail and updated my address in banks, CRA and other authorities.
When I checked my bank accounts In my visit, I came to know that CRA has credited CCTB amounts for 3 months even after my departure from Canada.

Thereafter in late 2013,CRA written to me, requesting me to refund/repay the all CCTB amounts paid to me From April 2010. When I called them they informed that as they did not receive any response from my end to the inquiries made by them in their validation process,they decided to collect it back.

There after they sent me to my address in my home country, a set of documents including a questionnaire for me to return with supportive documents to prove that my children were with me in Canada in the period in question. I sent all the details and documents that were in my hands. There after I did not hear from CRA for about 3-4 years.

But in the last month I received a letter to my address in My home Country from a Collection Contact officer of CRA informing me that I owe them xxxx CAD$.

I was under the belief until the receipt of that letter, that the matter was resolved.
Now I doubt that the CRA has not received my response.
Can any one advise me as to what steps to be taken next.
Can I resend the documents and request to review their decision?
I am currently outside Canada and have no plans to visit Canada in near future.

Thank you every one for your valuable advise in advance!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Dear all,
I landed in Canada in April 2010 with my family as permanent residents. My family resided in a rented apartment in Toronto. I received Canada child tax benefits for my three kids until I left Canada in March 2012.
I did not arrange an address to receive my mail nor did inform the authorities that I am leaving Canada. How ever when I made a short visit to Canada in 2013 I arranged one of my friend's address in Canada to receive my mail and updated my address in banks, CRA and other authorities.
When I checked my bank accounts In my visit, I came to know that CRA has credited CCTB amounts for 3 months even after my departure from Canada.

Thereafter in late 2013,CRA written to me, requesting me to refund/repay the all CCTB amounts paid to me From April 2010. When I called them they informed that as they did not receive any response from my end to the inquiries made by them in their validation process,they decided to collect it back.

There after they sent me to my address in my home country, a set of documents including a questionnaire for me to return with supportive documents to prove that my children were with me in Canada in the period in question. I sent all the details and documents that were in my hands. There after I did not hear from CRA for about 3-4 years.

But in the last month I received a letter to my address in My home Country from a Collection Contact officer of CRA informing me that I owe them xxxx CAD$.

I was under the belief until the receipt of that letter, that the matter was resolved.
Now I doubt that the CRA has not received my response.
Can any one advise me as to what steps to be taken next.
Can I resend the documents and request to review their decision?
I am currently outside Canada and have no plans to visit Canada in near future.

Thank you every one for your valuable advise in advance!
You will need to call CRA first. They should have all the details of your file including the correspondents letters that they have mailed you. It could be that your mail did not reach CRA. Hopefully you have made copies of the documents that you mailed out to them.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
That's why you have to call CRA if you are leaving the country for a long period of time, I guess it's hard to do for some people or they intend to get free money while not residing in Canada. And I doubt you can re-enter Canada with your long period of absence in Canada.