+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child support payments: Eligibility as a sponsor .

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
From the time I met him he has never given me money or support for the children. I live in Canada but the children are his. He cannot come here if I do not sponsor him. He is in Turkey or Syria, but has not paid any money to me or children. Never sends anything . But I have serious doubts that he only wants to come to Canada. I stopped sponsorship a few years ago but thinking of re sponsoring him in case he wants to see kids one day. I am not in a real relationship but thinking of starting it up again.
The difficulty you will have is showing that it is a real relationship when it's not. I mean in practical terms, if you don't have mutual financial support, don't see each other, don't communicate much, it will not look like a real relationship. They'll assume you are just separated.

You should also consider whether you wish to take the financial and personal undertakings - risk - of sponsoring him.

Your chances will improve if you start it up again first and then sponsor him. If, that is, you wish to.

Leslie S

Nov 14, 2019
I do not really want a marriage with him, but I feel bad about the kids and thought he could come to Canada to help look after the kids. To give me a break with them.
How closely does immigration look at genuine marriage? Is it okay if I say I want to sponsor him for the sake of the children.

EmmaShazma83

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not really want a marriage with him, but I feel bad about the kids and thought he could come to Canada to help look after the kids. To give me a break with them.
How closely does immigration look at genuine marriage? Is it okay if I say I want to sponsor him for the sake of the children.
I am not an expert but I do believe that IRCC looks very closely to determine genuineness of relationship. Even the presence of children will not Per Se be enough proof to show that a relationship is genuine as IRCC is wary of people going to great lengths, including having children to find a way to get into Canada.

I don't know your full story but from the few postings you have posted it seems that you actually do not currently have a relationship with this person, even if he is the father to your children. Further, you are also unsure if you are interested in pursuing a future relationship with him. There are a few problem with this. One, you will face difficulty proving a genuine relationship for the purpose of sponsorship. Second, you are taking great risks financially, legally and dare I say personally/emotionally as well, sponsoring a person who do not seem to be interested to be part of your life and your children's life, save for the opportunity of him coming to Canada.

Just my two cents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sponsoring him would be considered immigration fraud because you are not in an actual relationship. Given that you have had so little communication with him it will be pretty evident that you are not in a relationship.

Reactions: willowo4

Leslie S

Nov 14, 2019
You are correct.
But isn't a 'relationship' sort of subjective. Different for everyone. If he has children here, does it still have to be a relationship between him and me. Or could we still continue the marriage for the children?

EmmaShazma83

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are correct.
But isn't a 'relationship' sort of subjective. Different for everyone. If he has children here, does it still have to be a relationship between him and me. Or could we still continue the marriage for the children?
As far as IRCC would be concerned, a "relationship" would not subjective at all but they have multiple requirements they would want to see present to arrive at a conclusion that your relationship is genuine. Furthermore, this relationship has to be between you as the Sponsor and this person as the Principal Applicant and has nothing to do with the children at all.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You are correct.
It's not subjective at all. They define it as a marriage-like conjugal relationship. To break it down to base terms, you sleep together.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You are correct.
It's not subjective when it comes to Canadian immigration rules - it's very clear cut. Yes - he must be in a relationship with you. Additionally, you must demonstrate through hard evidnece that you are a couple and in a relationship.

If you say you are sponsoring him for the sake of your children, the application will be refused. Additionally, there will be a risk of a 5 year misrepresentation ban.

Leslie S

Nov 14, 2019
What if the government was told that it was a genuine marriage, what type of hard evidence would they need?
What if someone reported to them that it was only for the sake of the children, would the government take the reporting of a third person serious and investigate based on what a third party was reporting to them?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What if the government was told that it was a genuine marriage, what type of hard evidence would they need?
What if someone reported to them that it was only for the sake of the children, would the government take the reporting of a third person serious and investigate based on what a third party was reporting to them?
No one here is going to help you commit immigration fraud.

Yes, IRCC could investigate further based on a third party report.

Leslie S

Nov 14, 2019
Of course, I understand. I just do not see how someone can determine if a marriage is genuine. Everyone has their own interpretation. I would think that having children together would be an indicator.

If someone is denied entry are they told the reason for the denial?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Thank you 'Frustrated Canadian' for your answer.
I am not able to call the Immigration, as I am living in italy now, i can't reach the immigration in canada,
I also tried to call the immigration in Rome but always only Answering machine messages.
Here’s an idea if you want to call them. Download skype, pay for Canada only unlimited (about 3or 4 euros per month). Then add a display number. Ask someone you know in Canada to check help you. All you need to do is add the phone number, they receive an sms and I think there a code you put in skype and voila! If you want a number to be displayed, it will show that Canadian number. So for a small fee, you’re all set to call to Canada. When you don’t want the number to show, you go in the displayed numbersection and you simply turn it off. I used that trick to call IRCC when I was out of Canada. Hope that helps.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Of course, I understand. I just do not see how someone can determine if a marriage is genuine. Everyone has their own interpretation. I would think that having children together would be an indicator.

If someone is denied entry are they told the reason for the denial?
You stated yourself that you were separated on your own tax return. Immigration fraud is a crime. Having children with someone just proves you may have had sex with someone. That’s it. You need much more evidence to prove genuine marriage.