+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child support payments: Eligibility as a sponsor .

bigvioleteyes

Feb 18, 2009
I am looking for some advice or help with my situation. I am currently in the early stages of applying to sponsor my husband to Canada. I am Canadian, and he is Egyptian. I have been married before and must pay my ex-husband Child Support Payments. I have kept my support payments up to date, but when I was without a job, I was not able to pay for Child Support, and therefore I went into default.
I was reading that, if I am in default with my child support payments that I am not eligible to sponsor my husband.
But now, I am making an agreement and repayment schedule as I am not able to pay all the arrears in one time. Where does that leave me? Am I still able to sponsor my husband? What sort of proof is needed that I am making payments and also payments on arrears owed?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Frustrated Canadian

Oct 30, 2007
bigvioleteyes,

The website actually says that you "may not be eligible to sponsor". Once you have the agreement and repayment schedule finalized you should probably be able to submit that as additional information/explanation regarding a default on your Child Support payments. Have you tried calling Immigration and getting their opnion?

Best of Luck

bigvioleteyes

Feb 18, 2009
Thank you 'Frustrated Canadian' for your answer.
I am not able to call the Immigration, as I am living in italy now, i can't reach the immigration in canada,
I also tried to call the immigration in Rome but always only Answering machine messages.

AMB

Star Member
Nov 19, 2008
As far as I know, if you are in default (you STILL owe money), you are ineligible to sponsor.

As long as you are dealing with the Family Responsibility Office or something similar to that in your home province, you can confirm with them. I'm sorry, but I feel that even if there's an agreement but there's still an amount owing, you are in default.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have any family or friends in Canada? Why don't you get them to call CIC for you and ask about your situation?

bigvioleteyes

Feb 18, 2009
Thank you so much for your advice. It is a bit confusing to fill out all these forms.
I will find a way to get ahold of Immigration.
This has been a great source of information, I would like to thank the founder of the forum and the people who provide knowledg and information for the applicants concerns. I hope these questions I ask will also clear other applicants questions as well.

I still have more questions!!!

Form IMM 5481E - SPONSORSHIP EVALUATION
3. Your net Personal Income

I am a Canadian and living in Italy for a long time, around 5 years now, with my husband. I have been working here in Italy for the last year is that what i will have to prove?

Form IMM 5491E DECUMENT CHECKLIST.
18- if you are employed, a letter from your employer stating your period of employment,salary,and regular hours per week

Do I have to provide all the decuments, although I am working abroad under a contract ? Is that enought to prove ?

I am not sure of what docs that I must provide for this, or if this is even necessary for me to provide.

Do I have to have a certain amount of income to sponsor my husband? I have read that it was not necessary, but in other forums it says that it is necessary. I am quite confussed about this part.

Any information would be of much help to me.

Thanks you again everyone.

coolguy22

Feb 25, 2016
Hi i am in the same situation i have child support payments I am not sure i can sponsor my wife. I went to so many
lawyers no one know the answer.
Can you please tell me i seen your post is from 2009 . Did you file your case to apply for sponsorship.
did you get accepted.
I am in bad situation my wife is away for almost 4 years. No lawyer know what i am asking.
Please let me know , I want to sponsor my wife I don't know i am able to sponsor or not.
I have a payment plan with FRO , I had the behind payment because i was job less some time in past.

Please help to find the way , which way you chose to bring your love one come to canada.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolguy22 said:
Hi i am in the same situation i have child support payments I am not sure i can sponsor my wife. I went to so many
lawyers no one know the answer.
Can you please tell me i seen your post is from 2009 . Did you file your case to apply for sponsorship.
did you get accepted.
I am in bad situation my wife is away for almost 4 years. No lawyer know what i am asking.
Please let me know , I want to sponsor my wife I don't know i am able to sponsor or not.
I have a payment plan with FRO , I had the behind payment because i was job less some time in past.

Please help to find the way , which way you chose to bring your love one come to canada.

If you have no outstanding/late payment with FRO you should be fine. Even if you are on a repayment plan with FRO due to previously owed money but you are not behind on those payments you should be fine. Just gather all the information and try to apply.
On your application, make sure you specify not to continue with your sponsorship application if sponsor part is rejected, in this way you only risk 75$. Good luck

coolguy22

Feb 25, 2016
Thanks sashali78

I am on payment plan with FRO. I am paying on time.

There is a undertaking form IMM1344 Question #15 that say are you Default in making any Support payment. what i have to chose
NO OR YES.

if you have more detail about this issue . Please provide me more

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolguy22 said:
Thanks sashali78

I am on payment plan with FRO. I am paying on time.

There is a undertaking form IMM1344 Question #15 that say are you Default in making any Support payment. what i have to chose
NO OR YES.

if you have more detail about this issue . Please provide me more
If you ARE making payments on time then you are not in default. It will also appear in your CRA tax return in the support payment section, there is an amount that you owe and amount that you pay each year. As long as they match you are not considered in default.

coolguy22

Feb 25, 2016
sashali78 said:
If you ARE making payments on time then you are not in default. It will also appear in your CRA tax return in the support payment section, there is an amount that you owe and amount that you pay each year. As long as they match you are not considered in default.
Thanks for advise i applied for immigration my case approved for sponsorship.
My wife got a immigration to canada.

Leslie S

Nov 14, 2019
I live in Canada and want to sponsor my husband, but he has never paid support for our children or for me. Can I still sponsor him. I know I shouldn't but still want to know if I can.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I live in Canada and want to sponsor my husband, but he has never paid support for our children or for me. Can I still sponsor him. I know I shouldn't but still want to know if I can.
As long as you are in a genuine relationship with him - you can sponsor him.

It's confusing that you say he has never paid support for your children and yourself - this is usually something that happens when two people are no longer together. If you are no longer together - then you cannot sponsor him. You can only sponsor him if you are in a real relationship now.

Leslie S

Nov 14, 2019
From the time I met him he has never given me money or support for the children. I live in Canada but the children are his. He cannot come here if I do not sponsor him. He is in Turkey or Syria, but has not paid any money to me or children. Never sends anything . But I have serious doubts that he only wants to come to Canada. I stopped sponsorship a few years ago but thinking of re sponsoring him in case he wants to see kids one day. I am not in a real relationship but thinking of starting it up again.