+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Support and PR Waiting Period

JRob32

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
My case is a little messy. I am engaged (I understand this is not a legal relationship status), and awaiting my American fiance's divorce to become finalized in the court system.

As soon as we are able, we will file for his PR Card, likely inland, so he is able to start working here as soon as possible. My understanding is that once you file for PR and the first "phase" is accepted, we are able to apply for an OWP for him. This is crucially important as he has two children in the States, who he will likely have a child support order for, and will need to remain in good standing so his passport is not revoked - and because it's the right thing to do.

Does anyone know what the processing times are typically like to get someone an OWP once PR is filed for under a spousal sponsorship? Would there be any benefit to filing outland and him working in Texas until an OWP is available once his PR is fully established? My concern is timelines as he will not be able to stay in Canada and not work once child support is enforced in his divorce case, but going back to the states to work to pay child support for his other two children will keep him away from our family for a period of time.

I'm curious what these time frames likely are in inland vs outland and being able to work ASAP?

I should mention he is a former professional athlete and did not complete his university degree (no savings left, unfortunately), so having a successful LIMA unless it was for a coaching or sports-focused job (which are few and far between) is not likely.

Christyohhh

Sep 22, 2017
Mississauga, ON
If you are applying for sponsorship inside Canada, you can apply for OWP along with the application. It'll take 4 months the max for him to receive the OWP which means no working for 4 months. Processing times are 12 months for BOTH inland and outland sponsorships. If you apply outland, there's no way for him to work in Canada until he lands in Canada as a PR. Since he has child support to pay, I would suggest you to apply for outland sponsorship so he can still work in Texas while waiting for PR. He can just visit you throughout the waiting period if you're worried about being separated for too long.