+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child sponsorship

vasy

Star Member
Sep 18, 2014
Hi
My child was born in India and me and my husband are Canadian PR holders, the Canadian visa offices are slow here, is it possible to apply sponsorship for the child from Canada
TIA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi
My child was born in India and me and my husband are Canadian PR holders, the Canadian visa offices are slow here, is it possible to apply sponsorship for the child from Canada
TIA
Yes but one of you will have to be in Canada (and compliant with residency obligation and other requirements of course). And will still likely be slow.

More common (and quicker) is to apply for TRV/TRP for the child to go to Canada with the PR holders, and then apply for PR for child from within Canada.

You'll have to check how long TRV/TRP for children has been - comes up in threads here often - but it seems they do try to issue TRVs for young children reasonably quickly.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes but one of you will have to be in Canada (and compliant with residency obligation and other requirements of course). And will still likely be slow.

More common (and quicker) is to apply for TRV/TRP for the child to go to Canada with the PR holders, and then apply for PR for child from within Canada.

You'll have to check how long TRV/TRP for children has been - comes up in threads here often - but it seems they do try to issue TRVs for young children reasonably quickly.
TRV/TRP aren't guaranteed for children and sometimes it seems easier to get approved if one parent has already returned to Canada and started the sponsorship status. There seems like getting a TRV for a child of PR parents comes down to luck. Given that passport stamping has just restarted in India via the 2 way courier it is hard to know how long it will take to get approval/refusal and how long it will take. Sponsorship in Canada is also likely to take longer than the typical 5-11 months due to covid. In most provinces your child won't qualify for healthcare. To sponsor a child you must be compliant with your RO.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like your child was born by surrogacy. You'll need to provide all the documents showing that you are the legal parents of the child. I assume you have worked with a lawyer in India. Not sure if there are extra steps if using an egg donor.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
TRV/TRP aren't guaranteed for children and sometimes it seems easier to get approved if one parent has already returned to Canada and started the sponsorship status. There seems like getting a TRV for a child of PR parents comes down to luck. Given that passport stamping has just restarted in India via the 2 way courier it is hard to know how long it will take to get approval/refusal and how long it will take. Sponsorship in Canada is also likely to take longer than the typical 5-11 months due to covid. In most provinces your child won't qualify for healthcare. To sponsor a child you must be compliant with your RO.
All good points.

I'd suggest that it seems likely TRV for children granted more often when obvious PR parents are habitually resident in Canada (and anecdotally from reports here, but details often lacking so hard to draw conclusions).

This also assuming no other legal or other complications (as I see surrogacy possibly a factor here).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
All good points.

I'd suggest that it seems likely TRV for children granted more often when obvious PR parents are habitually resident in Canada (and anecdotally from reports here, but details often lacking so hard to draw conclusions).

This also assuming no other legal or other complications (as I see surrogacy possibly a factor here).
Getting a TRV for a child is really hit or miss.

ANISH K

Aug 25, 2016
Getting a TRV for a child is really hit or miss.
He is right, TRV is hit or a miss, also the timeline is very uncertain.
I landed in Canada in Feb 2021, applied both the below applications for my child who is currently in India.. here is the status

TRV : I Applied online on 24/Feb/20221 , no change in status yet, no email received (I heard the same from people who had applied it in Jan 2021 as well)
Child Sponsorship : applied via mail on 6th March 2021 (paper application) on 10th March.
Application Received on 12th March 2021
I received AOR on 24 March 2021
Then I received 'Request for Medical' on 13/Apr/2021
We completed the medical test in Delhi on 16/Apr/2021

If anyone having any idea, what will be the next step in Child sponsorship appliation, once medical is done,,then please share.,,, and If you can share approx timeline please.
Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He is right, TRV is hit or a miss, also the timeline is very uncertain.
I landed in Canada in Feb 2021, applied both the below applications for my child who is currently in India.. here is the status

TRV : I Applied online on 24/Feb/20221 , no change in status yet, no email received (I heard the same from people who had applied it in Jan 2021 as well)
Child Sponsorship : applied via mail on 6th March 2021 (paper application) on 10th March.
Application Received on 12th March 2021
I received AOR on 24 March 2021
Then I received 'Request for Medical' on 13/Apr/2021
We completed the medical test in Delhi on 16/Apr/2021

If anyone having any idea, what will be the next step in Child sponsorship appliation, once medical is done,,then please share.,,, and If you can share approx timeline please.
Thank you.
Around a year these days although it may have gotten slightly faster.

Sidhant73

Apr 8, 2019
Hello i also want to apply a trv for my newborn daughter. Me and my wife are in India presently and we both are PR holders. Kindly let me know how should i proceed. Like the reason for visit, invitation letter, letter of explanation

Rakshith_hv

Jul 11, 2020
Hi
My child was born in India and is currently in Canada on Visitor visa. Me and my spouse hold valid Canada PR and are currently in Canada. I am planning to apply for my child sponsorship online.

Anyone here applied for kids sponsorship from within Canada?

Thanks