+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child protected person, what's happen to the parents next

eduardlh

Mar 29, 2021
Hello everyone, I will going to consult this with a lawyer for sure, but I am wondering if anyone here is or was in the same situation.
My child (5 yo) is a protected person, the base of the claim for the child is the same for the parents, but the parents are on the PRRA track, still waiting.

If the child was accepted, could the parents be on the child PR petition? Or the parents needs to wait the PRRA resolution? The child is included as a dependant child.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone, I will going to consult this with a lawyer for sure, but I am wondering if anyone here is or was in the same situation.
My child (5 yo) is a protected person, the base of the claim for the child is the same for the parents, but the parents are on the PRRA track, still waiting.

If the child was accepted, could the parents be on the child PR petition? Or the parents needs to wait the PRRA resolution? The child is included as a dependant child.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
There is no clear pathway to PR if the child is a protected person. You can attempt an H&C application. Did the parents have their asylum claim denied?

eduardlh

Mar 29, 2021
There is no clear pathway to PR if the child is a protected person. You can attempt an H&C application. Did the parents have their asylum claim denied?
Thanks for your prompt reply... No, the parents weren't able to make a refugee claim, they are under PRRA, waiting for the hearing.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for your prompt reply... No, the parents weren't able to make a refugee claim, they are under PRRA, waiting for the hearing.
I suggest you could either wait until PPRA determination or speak with your lawyer. As @canuck78 said, it is unclear if you are not Principal or Associate claimant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is a very unusual scenario. What status dI’d the parents have while the child applied for asylum. What country are the parents from? Did CBSA get in contact with them? This is a very unusual scenario that neither of the parents applied for asylum.

eduardlh

Mar 29, 2021
This is a very unusual scenario. What status dI’d the parents have while the child applied for asylum. What country are the parents from? Did CBSA get in contact with them? This is a very unusual scenario that neither of the parents applied for asylum.
Parents claimed asylum in another country, so they were able to make a PRRA, we don't know why the official decided that the children were able to make a refugee claim. Parents and children are together within Canada since day one.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Parents claimed asylum in another country, so they were able to make a PRRA, we don't know why the official decided that the children were able to make a refugee claim. Parents and children are together within Canada since day one.
Do they have asylum in another country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, they just made the claim, no resolution at all.
This is a very unusual case. What area of the world are they from if you aren’t able to say the country. Assume the parents applied for asylum in the US but if the child wasn’t born in the US why wasn’t the child included in their claim?

eduardlh

Mar 29, 2021
This is a very unusual case. What area of the world are they from if you aren’t able to say the country. Assume the parents applied for asylum in the US but if the child wasn’t born in the US why wasn’t the child included in their claim?
It is unusual for sure, They're two children, the first child was included in the parents' claim, the other one is an american citizen. But like a I mentioned before the official was the one who put them on different processes (refugee for the children, PRRA for the parents). They came from south america.... The lawyer should have the answer. Thanks a lot for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is unusual for sure, They're two children, the first child was included in the parents' claim, the other one is an american citizen. But like a I mentioned before the official was the one who put them on different processes (refugee for the children, PRRA for the parents). They came from south america.... The lawyer should have the answer. Thanks a lot for your help.
Are you saying the US child was granted asylum in Canada??? Getting granted PPRA for most South American countries is unusual.