+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child money during the duration of the sponsorship contract - Quebec?

penandpaper

Apr 21, 2011
Hello,

I am curious about the following and I wonder if anyone has had this experience in QC:

By the time I get the visa approved and move to QC, our baby will be about 6 -7 months old.
We were curious if there is any "child money" that we can receive that will not in any way violate the contract? We do not in general plan on sending the kid to kindergarten for the first few years though. I will be spending my time at first mostly taking French classes and taking care of the kid + part time work as time permits.

Thank you all.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
penandpaper said:
Hello,

I am curious about the following and I wonder if anyone has had this experience in QC:

By the time I get the visa approved and move to QC, our baby will be about 6 -7 months old.
We were curious if there is any "child money" that we can receive that will not in any way violate the contract? We do not in general plan on sending the kid to kindergarten for the first few years though. I will be spending my time at first mostly taking French classes and taking care of the kid + part time work as time permits.

Thank you all.
What kind of child money are you talking about? After you become a PR and file tax returns, you will be eligible to apply for the the child tax credit if your income fits into the program but that's about it.

penandpaper

Apr 21, 2011
Aha, I see -- I guess this is a European thing, you get a specific tax free amount each month on top of salary/social assistance etc, a kind of a subsidy I suppose you can call it ...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
penandpaper said:
Aha, I see -- I guess this is a European thing, you get a specific tax free amount each month on top of salary/social assistance etc, a kind of a subsidy I suppose you can call it ...
Sounds nice! Nope, we don't have that in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rjessome said:
Sounds nice! Nope, we don't have that in Canada.
Actually the OP is destined to Quebec where they have the Child Assistance Benefit as well as the Child Tax Credit.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Actually the OP is destined to Quebec where they have the Child Assistance Benefit as well as the Child Tax Credit.
True! I forgot about that. But they still have to file taxes and the amount is based on their income, correct? I watched a documentary last year about child care benefits in France and was blown away but what families get!

penandpaper

Apr 21, 2011
Thanks, guys, we'll certainly look into this in detail. My husband files taxes (obviously) since he lives in QC. Yep, we are separated during the pregnancy (not a fun time).

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can get any child benefits that Quebec and the federal gov't provide without breaking your agreement. The child benefits are not considered welfare. You can send the child to gov't sponsored daycare as well without breaking the agreement.