+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Immigration to reunite with his father

Tamasnet

Mar 11, 2019
When my kid was born in Cuba I was still Permanent Resident of Canada for almost 9 years, since I was on and off from the country, I had to reapply for the citizenship and I was waiting for my Citizenship Application to get approved, but it took so long that unfortunatly for my son, I did not get my Canadian Citizenship in time, so neither him when he was born. Now I am Canadian Citizen but he is not. But also now we are separated with my ex. She decided to separate from me in favor of her job and other personal preferences. After 2 years of being separated with my son's mother, novadays my ex, she is finaly convinced that the best for the child is to live with his father in Canada i.e. me. Now my son is almost 7, he never been to Canada (I traveled always to see him many times per year) and now I would like him to join school here in Toronto in September and learn English here and take the residence and become Canadian Citizen later, while his mother will persue her own life targets outside of Canada, so I can not wait 12 month or more for the sponsorship application to be approved for my son. We never been married, so we have no custody documents, but we decided that both of us will take a part in our son's life, so it is 50/50 custody with no court documents. I am listed as a father on the Birth Cerificate issued to my son in Cuba and he has my family name. I also got him my Hungarian citizenship, so he has also Hungarian Birth Certificate where I am listed as his father. I really want my son to be with me here and I love him so much and he wants to live with me, as his mother left to Europe on a working visa to persue her proffesional carrier.

I would apreciate any help here to point me in the right direction on how to bring my son to Canada as faster as possible so he could join the school from the beginning of the school year and later become the Canadian Resident and I could sponsor him after arrival or in paralel within Canada. Since I am not aware what kind of problems may it bring that I do not have any custody agreement, but my ex is totaly willing me to take our son to live with me aznd promised to sign whaever papers it needs, so please let me know what is the best approach in this situation.

Thank you,
Tamas

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When my kid was born in Cuba I was still Permanent Resident of Canada for almost 9 years, since I was on and off from the country, I had to reapply for the citizenship and I was waiting for my Citizenship Application to get approved, but it took so long that unfortunatly for my son, I did not get my Canadian Citizenship in time, so neither him when he was born. Now I am Canadian Citizen but he is not. But also now we are separated with my ex. She decided to separate from me in favor of her job and other personal preferences. After 2 years of being separated with my son's mother, novadays my ex, she is finaly convinced that the best for the child is to live with his father in Canada i.e. me. Now my son is almost 7, he never been to Canada (I traveled always to see him many times per year) and now I would like him to join school here in Toronto in September and learn English here and take the residence and become Canadian Citizen later, while his mother will persue her own life targets outside of Canada, so I can not wait 12 month or more for the sponsorship application to be approved for my son. We never been married, so we have no custody documents, but we decided that both of us will take a part in our son's life, so it is 50/50 custody with no court documents. I am listed as a father on the Birth Cerificate issued to my son in Cuba and he has my family name. I also got him my Hungarian citizenship, so he has also Hungarian Birth Certificate where I am listed as his father. I really want my son to be with me here and I love him so much and he wants to live with me, as his mother left to Europe on a working visa to persue her proffesional carrier.

I would apreciate any help here to point me in the right direction on how to bring my son to Canada as faster as possible so he could join the school from the beginning of the school year and later become the Canadian Resident and I could sponsor him after arrival or in paralel within Canada. Since I am not aware what kind of problems may it bring that I do not have any custody agreement, but my ex is totaly willing me to take our son to live with me aznd promised to sign whaever papers it needs, so please let me know what is the best approach in this situation.

Thank you,
Tamas
What is your son's citizenship? Cuban I assume? Assuming so, either you or your ex will have to apply for a TRV (tourist visa) for your son. It's hard to say what the chances are of the TRV being approved.

I would file the PR application now since you don't know if the TRV will be approved.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thank you,
Tamas
As your child has Hungarian citizenship, apply for his Hungarian passport. You can then apply for an eTA for him and he can travel to Canada as a visitor. Note that he may not have access to provincial health coverage or be able to attend school as a visitor.

You need to start the sponsorship process ASAP. Your wife will need to sign a form granting permission for the child to immigrate.

Tamasnet

Mar 11, 2019
What is your son's citizenship? Cuban I assume? Assuming so, either you or your ex will have to apply for a TRV (tourist visa) for your son. It's hard to say what the chances are of the TRV being approved.

I would file the PR application now since you don't know if the TRV will be approved.
Yes his residence is in Cuba. And he is dual citizen, Cuban and Hungarian. He can come here with electonic Travel Authorization if traveling on a Hungarian Passport I would assume, but then what's next? How could he start the school being just a visitor?

Tamasnet

Mar 11, 2019
As your child has Hungarian citizenship, apply for his Hungarian passport. You can then apply for an eTA for him and he can travel to Canada as a visitor. Note that he may not have access to provincial health coverage or be able to attend school as a visitor.

You need to start the sponsorship process ASAP. Your wife will need to sign a form granting permission for the child to immigrate.

Thank you, that what I also thought in the begining. My son had his Hugarian passport before but now it is expired. I will have to apply for a new passport for him and it will take more than 3 months to get it delivered from Europe. So asuming I will get there this way what other immigration steps will allow my son to attend the school here?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you, that what I also thought in the begining. My son had his Hugarian passport before but now it is expired. I will have to apply for a new passport for him and it will take more than 3 months to get it delivered from Europe. So asuming I will get there this way what other immigration steps will allow my son to attend the school here?
Sponsorship.

Tamasnet

Mar 11, 2019
Sponsorship.
Yes, I am planning to do the sponsorship in any case, but I am puzzled how to do it since that in this case the CIC says the application will be sent to the Canadian Consulate in Cuba where my son's residence is, while my son will stay here in Canada on his Hungarian passport... Is it still possible? I thought he must be at his residence or am I mistaken... Where the mails will be sent, what address to use, my Canadian address will be fine?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, I am planning to do the sponsorship in any case, but I am puzzled how to do it since that in this case the CIC says the application will be sent to the Canadian Consulate in Cuba where my son's residence is, while my son will stay here in Canada on his Hungarian passport... Is it still possible? I thought he must be at his residence or am I mistaken... Where the mails will be sent, what address to use, my Canadian address will be fine?
Yes, that is the process. He can be in Canada. You can update his address when he comes to Canada.

Reactions: Tamasnet

Tamasnet

Mar 11, 2019
Yes, that is the process. He can be in Canada. You can update his address when he comes to Canada.
Thanks a lot for this idea on updating the mailing address. However that does not permit him to attend the school in Canada since he won't have a resident card to present, that what makes me think if there any other solution. Or may be I am worried too much because of lack of knowledge about schooling, but I think the kid needs to study at this point in life at 7 years and not skipping school, I really would not like the idea to go back to Cuba to continue studing there untill the sponsorship application is approved with processing time 12 month or more.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks a lot for this idea on updating the mailing address. However that does not permit him to attend the school in Canada since he won't have a resident card to present, that what makes me think if there any other solution. Or may be I am worried too much because of lack of knowledge about schooling, but I think the kid needs to study at this point in life at 7 years and not skipping school, I really would not like the idea to go back to Cuba to continue studing there untill the sponsorship application is approved with processing time 12 month or more.
You can try for a study permit. You may end up paying international student fees, which is about $15,000 per year.

Again, start the sponsorship process ASAP. Child sponsorship apps are processed faster than normal, so if you get it in soon, it would likely be done before the end of this year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your child also won't have health coverage if he is a visitor in Ontario. Really the best option is sponsorship especially if it already takes 3 months to get his Hungarian passport.

Tamasnet

Mar 11, 2019
I started to read the guide for sponsorship. My son's Cuban passport is expired as well, so I have to apply for his Cuban passport. What I did not understand yet, is that shall I send all the package in one batch after I receive his new passport meaning for me to waste another 2 months since I have to fly to Cuba and produce a document that allows my ex to apply for a new cuban passport for my son, or I can first submit the Sponsor's documents firsts (greement and understaking) and then wait 60 days for being approved and only after that to send the rest of the documents? I am very confused in the long list... Shall I also fill the sponsirship Evalution? I sponsored my parents 8 years ago they are almost done with 10 years undertaking... I thought CIC does not need any LICO in case of a child, why would they ask me for my Notice of Assessment? Do I really need to give them my notice of assessment, or I have to wait untill the new Notice of Assesment comes for the 2018 after I file taxes this month?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I started to read the guide for sponsorship. My son's Cuban passport is expired as well, so I have to apply for his Cuban passport. What I did not understand yet, is that shall I send all the package in one batch after I receive his new passport meaning for me to waste another 2 months since I have to fly to Cuba and produce a document that allows my ex to apply for a new cuban passport for my son, or I can first submit the Sponsor's documents firsts (greement and understaking) and then wait 60 days for being approved and only after that to send the rest of the documents? I am very confused in the long list... Shall I also fill the sponsirship Evalution? I sponsored my parents 8 years ago they are almost done with 10 years undertaking... I thought CIC does not need any LICO in case of a child, why would they ask me for my Notice of Assessment? Do I really need to give them my notice of assessment, or I have to wait untill the new Notice of Assesment comes for the 2018 after I file taxes this month?
As stated on the checklist, you can apply without the passport but must have a valid passport by approval.

The ENTIRE application must be sent. If you send only the sponsorship part, it will be returned.

The guide and checklist are quite clear about what is required.

There is no minimum income requirement but you must show the financial capability to support your family without welfare.

By the time you get the app ready, you will probably have your new NOA. If not, send 2017 and recent payslips.

Reactions: YVR123

Tamasnet

Mar 11, 2019
Question about form 5604: I am sponsoring my son only. His mother will not immigrate to Canada since she separated from me. We never been married and have no written custody agreements, but we manage it on a good will. She agreed verbaly on childs immigration. So I have to ask her to sign the form 5604, right? I am already a Citizen and a Resident in Canada. The form says that she agrees that our son is immigrating to Canada with.... And here I am confused... Shall I put my name there or leave it blank? I am confused because I am not immigrating, I finished my immigration long time ago and obtained the Citizenship after my son was born, so the child is immigrating alone to reunite with me... Please could you explain if she has to leave this form blank or put my name as his father? Also what should I write to CIC about the custody agreement that we do not have? Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Question about form 5604: I am sponsoring my son only. His mother will not immigrate to Canada since she separated from me. We never been married and have no written custody agreements, but we manage it on a good will. She agreed verbaly on childs immigration. So I have to ask her to sign the form 5604, right? I am already a Citizen and a Resident in Canada. The form says that she agrees that our son is immigrating to Canada with.... And here I am confused... Shall I put my name there or leave it blank? I am confused because I am not immigrating, I finished my immigration long time ago and obtained the Citizenship after my son was born, so the child is immigrating alone to reunite with me... Please could you explain if she has to leave this form blank or put my name as his father? Also what should I write to CIC about the custody agreement that we do not have? Thank you.
Yes, she needs to fill out IMM5604 and yes, she needs to put your name. You don't need a custody agreement, as she is giving you legal permission with the IMM5604. You can write an explanation letter if you want.