+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child citizenship application requirements

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
My daughter was born outside Canada while our citizenship application was (and still is) processing. So she has a pr and we cannot pass the citizenship to her when we get ours (I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but fingers crossed) So we plan to apply for citizenship on her behalf.

Does a child citizenship application have the same requirements as an adult's (like number of physical days present in Canada)?
If both parents and siblings are Canadians at the time of her application, must we wait for her to obtain the full number of physical present days or is the number of years since she obtained her PR enough?

Or can we just add her to our application even though we applied before she was born?

Thanks

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Physical days are not counted or required for minors for the citizenship. However, the minor should be ideally applied along with the parent(s) or better wait till one or both parent(s) gets citizenship.

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
So if the child gets a PR can she apply for citizenship or must she have a canadian parent? If both parents are still PR will her application get refused ? Also, is there a number of years required as a pr before applying for citizenship for minors?

Rita80

May 30, 2015
Lily2011 said:
So if the child gets a PR can she apply for citizenship or must she have a canadian parent? If both parents are still PR will her application get refused ? Also, is there a number of years required as a pr before applying for citizenship for minors?
Hi, Does anyone have an answer to the above questions for Lily2011 please,
Thank you.

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In your case, the kid cannot apply for citizenship (standalone) just as a PR till one of you become a citizen. If you want to add the minors application to your family (In Process), better call the CIC call center first and see the possibility.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Don't be surprised if having a child outside Canada while application is processing raises residency concerns for IRCC/CIC....