+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Care benefits for new comers on work permit

abdullahr93

May 31, 2023
I am in Canada on a lmia work permit together with my family including 2 children aged 2 and 5.
I came 3 months before.
My PR application is under process.
Can I apply for the CCB?

DanyN

Nov 23, 2023
You cannot apply until you are PR or you have worked in Canada for at least 18 months, whichever comes first. It is based on income.
I have worked in canada for 20 months, but now i am starting to apply for CCB, so CCB will be counted from now on or from the time i worked in canada for enough 18 months?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have worked in canada for 20 months, but now i am starting to apply for CCB, so CCB will be counted from now on or from the time i worked in canada for enough 18 months?
Not sure of your question, but it is not retroactive. Now that you have applied, you will start getting payments. You may get two extra payments starting at 18 months.

Reactions: DanyN

DanyN

Nov 23, 2023
Not sure of your question, but it is not retroactive. Now that you have applied, you will start getting payments. You may get two extra payments starting at 18 months.
Thank you for your help I am filling form for CCB, at step 4, it stated that:
Step 4 – Your income
Enter your and your spouse or common-law partner's (if you have one) income from all sources that
was not reported on a Canadian tax return. All amounts must be converted into Canadian dollars
using the Bank of Canada exchange rate in effect when you received the income. For the exchange
rates, go to bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange. Enter "0" if you had no income.
... I only have income that is tax filed in 2022, so I will fill "0", right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Step 4 – Your income
Enter your and your spouse or common-law partner's (if you have one) income from all sources that
was not reported on a Canadian tax return. All amounts must be converted into Canadian dollars
using the Bank of Canada exchange rate in effect when you received the income. For the exchange
If reported all income then yes.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Step 4 – Your income
As already indicated a tax returns does not mean that you have reported all of your income especially international income. If there is concern that you are lying CRA won’t give out CCB until you have been in Canada long enough that it would be harder to hide international income for you and your spouse. The fastest way to get CCB is to be honest about any income you and your spouse have.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Step 4 – Your income
As the instruction, you need to include family income regardless of the status of you and your spouse for this part of the form. They are not going tax your spouse's income if he/she is not a tax resident. Or ask you to pay tax on your income before you become tax resident of Canada. BUT your CCB will be calculated based on family income of the time requested regardless of your tax and residence status.

Your family really only live on savings for the previous years? But you said you worked in Canada for 20 months? This is confusing.

Sa1234

Dec 28, 2023
Hi! I'm receiving Child benefit for my daughter, and we have applied for Permanent Residency. I'm worried this could impact our eligibility as they say that you are not suppose to need any social asistance to get PR approval: Persons in receipt of social assistance or welfare benefits, either directly or indirectly, are defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act as inadmissible persons
Anyone with experience with this? I also receive help from Ontario to pay for some medical device my daughter needs. Otherwise, both my husband and I are well employed, but I'm worried these benefits could cause a rejection of PR.
thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi! I'm receiving Child benefit for my daughter, and we have applied for Permanent Residency. I'm worried this could impact our eligibility as they say that you are not suppose to need any social asistance to get PR approval: Persons in receipt of social assistance or welfare benefits, either directly or indirectly, are defined in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act as inadmissible persons
Anyone with experience with this? I also receive help from Ontario to pay for some medical device my daughter needs. Otherwise, both my husband and I are well employed, but I'm worried these benefits could cause a rejection of PR.
thanks
CCB is not social assistance.

DanyN

Nov 23, 2023
thanks
receiving the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) should not have a direct impact on your Permanent Residency (PR) application. The Canada Child Benefit is a tax-free monthly payment provided to eligible families to help with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age. It is not considered as income for immigration purposes, and it should not affect your PR approval.

Immigration authorities typically assess factors such as your eligibility, background, admissibility, and other relevant criteria when processing PR applications. Your receipt of the CCB, which is a benefit aimed at supporting families with children, is not likely to be a negative factor in your immigration process.

However, it's always a good idea to consult with an immigration professional or check the latest guidelines from the immigration authorities to ensure that you have the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the impact of benefits on your PR application.
..... I found this on internet.....best wishes...