+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Born outside of Canada

JensonButton

Nov 14, 2013
Hi all,

I got my Canadian citizenship from my sister. My sister was from China and married a Canadian citizen that immigrated there from Hong Kong in the 1970's. My sister than sponsored our mom, dad and myself to Canada and we eventually gained citizenship in the 1980's.

Fast forward to now, I'm a Canadian citizen now and my wife is from Mainland, China. Shes currently pregnant and we're still in the process of sponsoring my wife over but shes due to have her baby before the decision. So the baby will 99% be born in China. I'm wondering, once the baby is born in China. Will the baby be eligible for Canadian citizenship? If so, how would I go about's applying and doing the process?

In short:

- Immigrated to Canada with my family and obtained citizenship shortly after
- Dad(myself) is currently living in Canada and Mom(Wife) is currently living in China
- Baby will soon be born in Mainland, China

Thank you all!

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
JensonButton said:
Hi all,

I got my Canadian citizenship from my sister. My sister was from China and married a Canadian citizen that immigrated there from Hong Kong in the 1970's. My sister than sponsored our mom, dad and myself to Canada and we eventually gained citizenship in the 1980's.

Fast forward to now, I'm a Canadian citizen now and my wife is from Mainland, China. Shes currently pregnant and we're still in the process of sponsoring my wife over but shes due to have her baby before the decision. So the baby will 99% be born in China. I'm wondering, once the baby is born in China. Will the baby be eligible for Canadian citizenship? If so, how would I go about's applying and doing the process?

In short:

- Immigrated to Canada with my family and obtained citizenship shortly after
- Dad(myself) is currently living in Canada and Mom(Wife) is currently living in China
- Baby will soon be born in Mainland, China

Thank you all!
You obtained your Canadian citizenship through naturalization, so your child will be a Canadian citizen by descent. Apply for a proof of citizenship at the CIC webpage.