+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside of Canada to PR parents

ranjithtv

Feb 19, 2020
We are PR holders and are planning to have our child in India, I am currently in Canada, Toronto.

I would like to know the procedure to bring our child to Canada.

Do I need to sponsor the child for PR? Is there any other faster options to bring as I heard that sponsoring takes time, and sponsor after reaching here.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Ashsan

Jun 22, 2019
We are PR holders and are planning to have our child in India.

Do I need to sponsor the child for PR? Is there any other faster options to bring as I heard that sponsoring takes time, And sponsor after reaching here.

Similar situation but we’ve already applied our newborn’s TRV ( applied on Nov 2021)and Sponsorship (PR)(October 2021).
Both under reviewing eligibility. Waiting game continues..
Some people are getting PPR request fast some are not.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We are PR holders and are planning to have our child in India.

Do I need to sponsor the child for PR? Is there any other faster options to bring as I heard that sponsoring takes time, And sponsor after reaching here.

One parent must be in Canada to sponsor the child for PR. You must be compliant with your RO to sponsor. It takes between 5-12 months. You can try to get a TRV to come to Canada during the sponsorship but it isn’t guaranteed. In many provinces your child will not have health coverage until they get PR so you’ll need to pay for routine care and purchase private medical insurance for emergencies.

Mar 9, 2022
Same situation.

We have already gave our child birth in india.
As of now, we have first tried to apply TRV.
Still waiting for it. Applied on March 9th.
If its get delayed then i will go back and apply sponsorship.

many people getting TRV quickly and many r not so its all time game.

But overall, if you have patience then its best option to give birth of ur child in india as hospitals are still choked up in canada specially in gta.

pradeepmohan

May 1, 2019
Same situation.

But overall, if you have patience then its best option to give birth of ur child in india as hospitals are still choked up in canada specially in gta.
Can you please tell me whether you got the approval or no. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Same situation.

L&D wards are not the same as general wards in hospitals. There is no need to leave Canada to have a child. Know many women who have had their babies in the GTA this year.

kumarh2020

Sep 15, 2020
We are PR holders and are planning to have our child in India, I am currently in Canada, Toronto.

Do I need to sponsor the child for PR? Is there any other faster options to bring as I heard that sponsoring takes time, and sponsor after reaching here.

Why do you want to go to India and strip your child of Canadian Citizenship at birth?

Rahul61

Star Member
Dec 5, 2021
hello i want to know opinion,
is it wise to came to canada to deliver baby in canada ( travel in 6-7th month of pregnanacy, last trimester)?
or should deliver baby in home country?
situation: both family member not having any job in canada but pr holder.
anyone who sponser their child can also please share the difficulty or problem faced during sponsering the child?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
hello i want to know opinion,
is it wise to came to canada to deliver baby in canada ( travel in 6-7th month of pregnanacy, last trimester)?
or should deliver baby in home country?
situation: both family member not having any job in canada but pr holder.
anyone who sponser their child can also please share the difficulty or problem faced during sponsering the child?
It's up to you to take the post and cons. But if the mother decided to come, note that she needs to meet the minimum qualifications in Ontario to be covered by OHIP. (not sure if the 3 months waiting period will be re-instate by the time she travels to give birth)

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period.
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province.
  • make Ontario your primary residence.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card