+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside of Canada to PR parents

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
Hello.

Me and my wife are both Canadian PRs but we've been living outside of Canada. We're planning to have a baby and also settle in Canada this year. Two questions:

1) Since we live outside of Canada we don't have health card. Can we still fly to Canada and have our baby there?
2) What happens if the baby is born outside of Canada? How can we take him/her to Canada with us in the future?

Thank you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello.

Me and my wife are both Canadian PRs but we've been living outside of Canada. We're planning to have a baby and also settle in Canada this year. Two questions:

1) Since we live outside of Canada we don't have health card. Can we still fly to Canada and have our baby there?
2) What happens if the baby is born outside of Canada? How can we take him/her to Canada with us in the future?

Thank you.
1) You can but if your health coverage is not current, you will need to wait for the re-qualifying period to be completed (if any) before coverage restarts. You will also need to meet whatever other residency requirements exist to qualify for coverage. The alternative is to pay the full costs yourself.

2) Nothing. The baby will be a "foreign national" with no status in Canada. You would need to sponsor the child for PR by at least one of the parents returning to live in Canada for the whole period of the PR application. You can't sponsor from outside Canada. If you can obtain a visa for the child (if not visa-exempt) then you can all return to Canada together while the sponsorship is in progress.

armenaz777

Star Member
Apr 17, 2018
Thanks for the answers.

1) We landed in Toronto, and never applied for OHIP as we were returning after a short period of stay. What is the re-qualifying period in this case for Toronto and what other residency requirements are to be met?

1.1) What costs are we talking about? I have no idea. Is this like 5K or more?

2) The baby will not be visa-exempt because of his/her nationality. By saying "the whole period of the PR application", it means 6 months or how long?

2.1) Is there a chance the Canadian embassy will reject a VISA for the baby in this case?

1) You can but if your health coverage is not current, you will need to wait for the re-qualifying period to be completed (if any) before coverage restarts. You will also need to meet whatever other residency requirements exist to qualify for coverage. The alternative is to pay the full costs yourself.

2) Nothing. The baby will be a "foreign national" with no status in Canada. You would need to sponsor the child for PR by at least one of the parents returning to live in Canada for the whole period of the PR application. You can't sponsor from outside Canada. If you can obtain a visa for the child (if not visa-exempt) then you can all return to Canada together while the sponsorship is in progress.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for the answers.

1) We landed in Toronto, and never applied for OHIP as we were returning after a short period of stay. What is the re-qualifying period in this case for Toronto and what other residency requirements are to be met?

1.1) What costs are we talking about? I have no idea. Is this like 5K or more?

2) The baby will not be visa-exempt because of his/her nationality. By saying "the whole period of the PR application", it means 6 months or how long?

2.1) Is there a chance the Canadian embassy will reject a VISA for the baby in this case?
1) it will be a new OHIP application. 3 months initial wait before coverage starts and physical residence for, IIRC, 153 days in the first 183? Check the OHIP website.
1.1) pre-natal and birth costs can be anywhere from a few thousand dollars, up to hundreds of thousands if things go wrong.

2) Could be up to a year but often less.
2.1) yes, this is a definite possibility.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If sponsoring the baby at least one parent will need to sponsor from Canada and remain in Canada.

You can try to get a TRV for the child. If denied you can try for TRP. If still denied you will need to remain separated until the baby gets PR. Usually takes 5-11 months. The baby will also need to wait 3 months to receive ohip so take out a private plan to cover emergencies.