+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born in the US after COPR

Nehapatel92K

Jun 7, 2022
I am from India and now living in the United States with my husband and daughter.
I got my COPR through Ontario PNP on November 16th,2023. Our COPR expiry date is August 30,2024. we're expecting our baby in the month of July,2024. However, we want our baby to be born in US. so, we're planning to move to Canada after our baby is born.

We came to know from FB groups that we need to inform IRCC about change in our family status, as our COPR will be deemed invalid soon after our baby is delivered, and we need to follow the process of getting new COPRs . However, I did not find any details of such on IRCC website,

I am very confused and worried, as IRCC seems to be not responding to Webforms, so that option is out of the window, Some people suggested earlier that we need to contact our VO. so if that's true then,

1- How to contact our VO?, Where can we find their contact info.?
2- What are the steps after that, what is the timeline we can expect till we have our new COPRs.?
3- Do we need to submit the original documents (passport, birth certificate of the baby) or wait till we get the response from them?

4- What is the response time from VO.?

Additionally, I have a colleague who was in the same situation, but she went to Canada without informing IRCC about their newborn, and did a soft-landing with their baby and came back to US. Border agent asked about the baby, but they mentioned that "Baby is a US citizen and will be travelling as a visitor and they will be adding their baby to their profile later on", and Border agent let them through.

I WOULD REALLY APPRICIATE IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN THE PROCESS IN DETAIL, Provide any IRCC or CIC links if possible.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am from India and now living in the United States with my husband and daughter.
I got my COPR through Ontario PNP on November 16th,2023. Our COPR expiry date is August 30,2024. we're expecting our baby in the month of July,2024. However, we want our baby to be born in US. so, we're planning to move to Canada after our baby is born.

We came to know from FB groups that we need to inform IRCC about change in our family status, as our COPR will be deemed invalid soon after our baby is delivered, and we need to follow the process of getting new COPRs . However, I did not find any details of such on IRCC website,

I am very confused and worried, as IRCC seems to be not responding to Webforms, so that option is out of the window, Some people suggested earlier that we need to contact our VO. so if that's true then,

2- What are the steps after that, what is the timeline we can expect till we have our new COPRs.?
3- Do we need to submit the original documents (passport, birth certificate of the baby) or wait till we get the response from them?

Additionally, I have a colleague who was in the same situation, but she went to Canada without informing IRCC about their newborn, and did a soft-landing with their baby and came back to US. Border agent asked about the baby, but they mentioned that "Baby is a US citizen and will be travelling as a visitor and they will be adding their baby to their profile later on", and Border agent let them through.

I WOULD REALLY APPRICIATE IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN THE PROCESS IN DETAIL, Provide any IRCC or CIC links if possible.
Post to the Express Entry or PNP section of the forum.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

It's a PNP/Express Entry question. BUT if you want to land without updating IRCC, you could choose to do soft landing NOW before the child is born.

Once the child is born, you need to inform IRCC and update the application to add baby to your file. New COPR will be issued after medical ..etc have been cleared with the baby.
Your colleague will have trouble when they try to sponsor the baby to be PR because this baby is NEVER declared and added to their profile when the landed as PR. Very likely they will never be able to sponsor him/her. Baby can live in US and travel to Canada as a tourist.

Nehapatel92K

Jun 7, 2022
Thank you very much for the response @
YVR123

We posted the same in PNP/EE.

Could you please provide any references ( IRCC website links, FAQs or such) to the process of how to inform IRCC about our situation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
YVR123

Could you please provide any references ( IRCC website links, FAQs or such) to the process of how to inform IRCC about our situation.
You've only posted here so far. Strongly recommend you move to the EE section since the topic of adding dependents to economic immigration applications is discussed extensively there.

Reactions: Nehapatel92K

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
YVR123

Check that in the responses of the PNP/EE post. I am not familiar with that process. (It's likely via some web forms but I don't know for sure)

Reactions: Nehapatel92K