+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born in Canada to Indian parents

mandar

Sep 22, 2013
Hello everyone,

As per Canadian rule, if child born in Canada becomes Canadian citizen. I have my son's Canadian Birth certificate. I have not applied for his passport yet. Me and my spouse are Indian citizens. (country does not allow dual citizenship)
I wanted to apply for Indian citizenship for my child. Can I apply? If yes What documents do I need to submit?
Once we become Canadian citizen we will change my son's citizenship to Canadian so that I can apply for OCI (Overseas citizen of India) card for all.
If he directly becomes Canadian citizen then he will have to apply for Visa every time he needs to travel India.

Just wanted to know if this is possible.

Thank you

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
ha , we should create a separate forum for "Indian related citizenship questions" since more and more Indians are asking specific questions here

Mumbai_Maratha

Mar 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

As per Canadian rule, if child born in Canada becomes Canadian citizen. I have my son's Canadian Birth certificate. I have not applied for his passport yet. Me and my spouse are Indian citizens. (country does not allow dual citizenship)
I wanted to apply for Indian citizenship for my child. Can I apply? If yes What documents do I need to submit?
Once we become Canadian citizen we will change my son's citizenship to Canadian so that I can apply for OCI (Overseas citizen of India) card for all.
If he directly becomes Canadian citizen then he will have to apply for Visa every time he needs to travel India.

Thank you
to apply for Indian passport for your child, you have to have Canadian passport first as he is born in Canada.

You can apply for OCI for your child, it's valid till lifetime.. you need to renew every after 5 years until age of 18. Same like any countries passport

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello everyone,

Thank you
India does not allow dual citizenship, so How could your child be India Citizen? he has tu renounce?