+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

child birth without insurance as a student

nasira.rafi

Nov 18, 2019
My wife is 3 month pregnant, she is expecting delivery on 6/6/2020. she is coming to University of Toronto just for 6 month. during this period heer date will arrive, and no insurance companies are willing to insurance her maternity. i heard about Midwives, but not sure that does they delivery the baby without any cost or on low cost? please suggest me what to do, this is her last chance to come toronto, after april 2020 she cant apply for canada anymore.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but why is she coming to UOT for just 6 months knowing that she will deliver in this time without any insurance. What would be your plan if any complications that you need to pay for given could range from 5000 to 10000 plus Can or even more possibly. She realises assume that having a baby in Canada gives her no immigration rights at all to stay.

Also does she have access to any insurance at all even without the pregnancy given nobody should of course come to Canada without any insurance whether pregnant or not.

Last edited:

nasira.rafi

Nov 18, 2019
Others can comment as well but why is she coming to UOT for just 6 months knowing that she will deliver in this time without any insurance. What would be your plan if any complications that you need to pay for given could range from 5000 to 10000 plus Can or even more possibly. She realises assume that having a baby in Canada gives her no immigration rights at all to stay.

Also does she have access to any insurance at all even without the pregnancy given nobody should of course come to Canada without any insurance whether pregnant or not.
the issue is she is coming on IRSIP program which was given by HEC Pakistan, april 2020 is the last date where she can apply for visa, after it she would not able to apply for visa. Canadian immigration knows abot she is coming even university of toronto knows it.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
the issue is she is coming on IRSIP program which was given by HEC Pakistan, april 2020 is the last date where she can apply for visa, after it she would not able to apply for visa. Canadian immigration knows abot she is coming even university of toronto knows it.
You never answered the question

WHY is your spouse coming to Canada , pregnant, without any insurance to cover the costs ?
So the IRCC specifically knows she is coming to Canada, pregnant, without any insurance to cover the costs ?
I wouldn’t be relying on a midwife to assist you
They are provincially funded , which if you think about , are not entitled to them

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My wife is 3 month pregnant, she is expecting delivery on 6/6/2020. she is coming to University of Toronto just for 6 month. during this period heer date will arrive, and no insurance companies are willing to insurance her maternity. i heard about Midwives, but not sure that does they delivery the baby without any cost or on low cost? please suggest me what to do, this is her last chance to come toronto, after april 2020 she cant apply for canada anymore.
There is no "no cost" option. The only "low cost" option is a midwife. Midwives are in extremely short supply. Assume that getting one will not be possible - although your wife can try once she has arrived in Canada.

Plan on the birth costing $5,000 to $10,000 (hospital birth) if there are no complications. You will have to pay these costs out of pocket. If there are any complications, there's really no limit on what it may cost you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also anticipate that it would be extremely difficult to attend a research program right after birth or with a newborn. Even if she takes 2-4 weeks off that is a good percentage of the time. Who is going to provide childcare?

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Quite frankly I would forget coming to Canada. A hospital birth is 10k minimum. But if you have complications and must use an intensive care unit the bills will skyrocket. Half million dollar charges are not unheard of. I wouldn't risk it. There is NO low cost or no-cost option.
Here is an example. It is not childbirth but reflects hospital intensive care charges. This could easily happen to you.

From JimmiK:

'My parents were visiting from India to help me with my first baby. They had a $100k visitors insurance. On the night of Sept 10, 2019, my dad fell from the bed and suffered a serious spine injury at C4, C5 levels. He is currently at Vancouver Hospital for over 2 months now. As a result of the injury, he is now completely paralyzed from neck down.

The current hospital bill is over $300k. The final bill is expected to be over $600k. We feel we had done our duty by purchasing the $100k visitors insurance. But nobody expects or plans for such catastrophic events.' My only comment is they should have had adequate insurance.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/hospital-bill.660469/

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/03/28/australian_couple_gives_birth_to_milliondollar_baby.html